"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You have inside knowledge? Or crystal ball?

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Just please trust me.

I realize you are gung ho for the all Cortland 1st teamer but the reality is Simms was never in the running to start and that is how it should be. geno is fine, he was kept out last week so he wouldn't risk getting hurt then they would have had no one to start.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't see any advantage for the Jets to name their QB at this point. If there is any competitive advantage they can gain from not doing so they should take it. As soon as the media sees who is taking first team reps in practice the gig is up though. Unless they're rotating, which would be hilarious even though it's probably a disadvantage at this point.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think Smith is being judged on one preseason performance, in which he made a bunch of rookie mistakes.
    Give him a chance to play some..

As far as Simms, can't deny he showed the type of fire this organization could really use.
    With Sanchez out, i hope they treat Simms as the #2, and give him more work at practice as a potential option should Smith falter greatly.

Quinn should be nothing more than a veteran in the meeting rooms. Simms by virtue of good play and the Sanchez injury should be second string at this point.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I can live with this... :grin:

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

if i may add something, does it seem like those that want Simms to start are more down on Smith than the organization is?

why would you use an undrafted free agent as a stopgap when you don't have to?

its one thing if Tuel gets a start in buffalo, both QB's above him are hurt, if that was our case then sure start Simms.

But Smith, the guy thats been working to be a starter since last spring is available. he WILL be the guy this sunday, you don't replace a supposedly unready backup rookie with ANOTHER supposedly unready backup rookie if you have that opportunity.

either way the jets have to compensate, and something tells me given the lumps geno had vs the giants they're more ready and able to do that for him than a less experienced project.

the time has passed people.

7. nyjunc

It's funny, I knew the fans would turn on geno but I didn't think it would happen before his first start and if Simms started the fans would turn on him by the 2nd qtr.

8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It's hilarious -- Kay and Lagreca are bitching for the last hour that Rex wouldn't name the starting QB. All because the fans want to know, of course.

9. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

They're bitching because they are little whiny assholes and wouldn't know a competitive advantage if it came up and bit them on the ass.:grin:

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I see Smith getting hurt and when he does, lets see how the fans and the team reacts when Simms takes over. I will be cheering that for once a major decision was taken out of Rex's hands and the GM will be eating crow.

11. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

I love the fact that the Jets aren't talking. It's like a homage to the Mangini days. Way too much information leaked out over the past few years or was communicated by the head coach to the media in short order it seems. Granted, things still come out, but it seems like more of a muzzle has been put on the organization. With that said, Rex can keep it a secret until game day for all I care. While I have my preference for who should start, just win the damn game.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Because we are Jets fans and we don't have expectations that Smith is going to be a top NFL QB just because the NY Jets drafted him in the 2nd round. We saw a glimmer in Simms of a guy with a great arm, quick release and the ability to do some nice things under pressure.

As a Jets fan I have more confidence in an undrafted QB who we lucked into being the guy than someone we actually targeted. Especially after actually seeing them both play ball.

The Rams dumped Tony Banks for Kurt Warner. The Pats have been kicking ass for years with a late round nobody. Maybe we would rather get lucky than rely on Jets management to actually have a plan. The last 2 QB's we drafted were Sanchez and Clemens.

I don't dislike Smith. I hope the guy is great. I don't believe because the NY Jets drafted him in the 2nd round that gives him a leg up. In fact if history is any indication...

#472 Biggs, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What you want to see from Geno is the stage not being to big for him in the Giants game it was. Year 1 and Year 2 in the NFL our night and Day.

If people are expecting Geno to come out and pass for 300 yds and 3 tds and no Ints just do not know football.

Geno playing well is no picks 15-25 200 yds.

14. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

Anybody other than sanch, baby! At least this way, if the guy sucks, we can all agree that he sucks and not have smokescreens thrown up. Reality is long overdue.

15. nyjunc

isn't it great, now we are going to win Super Bowls b/c we got rid of our weak link!:rolleyes:

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

FTR, I'm pulling hard for Geno to succeed. But if he gets injured (knock on wood that he doesn't), then I'm hoping Simms takes the helm.

Anyway, this was Simms' interview with Ryan Ruocco on Monday:
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=9628011

I really liked that Simms said that one of the best things he can do is learn from others' mistakes.

17. jets4life2007

jets4life2007 Banned

Everyone just take it eaassssssssyyyy!!! This kid is hot garbage!

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Btw junc, I don't disagree with you on this one, I just enjoy the proclamations ;-)

-

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, they dumped Banks for Trent Green, and Banks got traded away which is what you do when you have a former number one pick no longer your starter. you don't make him your back up you get rid of him.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I forgot they signed Green. Banks was never a former No. 1 pick. But your point is a good one.