The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Love Sparta, nice bit of NJ looks like England. Have to get back there again soon.
    If you're old enough you can sit in a bar and listen to an Englishman tell you more about your game than you seem to know.

Ditto

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Almost all rookie QBs aren't.

Russel Wilson didn't hit his stride until late in the season. Luck and RGIII are kind of freaks but even they became much better later in the season.

Sanchez actually started off fantastic his rookie year. Tampa has a good secondary so hopefully Geno and Marty can keep it simple for him.

Im honestly more worried about our Defense week 1. Tampa has an explosive offense. Doug martin is the kind of RB that can really hurt us and they have some good receivers as well.

Just hope Geno can play mistake free more than anything else and Freeman has one of his bad days which is a good possibility.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets have one season to find out if Geno Smith is a viable solution. If they get to the end of this season not knowing, then they face the awful decision of whether or not to draft a QB in the next draft, which would mean that this year's second-round pick was completely wasted.

The only way to really find out is to see him play. He isn't ready, but that's not the real point here. The Jets need to know if he can grow into the role.

4. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

not sure that ONE season is a fair timeframe. Josh Freeman had an amazing rookie year and now is probably in his final year in Tampa.

There is a reason for the sophmore slump - teams have all offseason to review a QB's weaknesses and tendencies and then attack them.

I think that a team should draft a QB almost every year (if possible) until they find a guy they like - I'm not saying do it in the 1st round EVERY year, but spend perhaps at least a 5th rounder on a guy that you like. Don't pick one just to pick one.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I'm not a Geno fan at all...but why would he only get one year when Sanchez got 4? That's a bit early to pull the plug on a high 2nd-rounder.

6. gustoonarmy

I have a feeling we are going QB round 1/2 next year regardless of how Geno plays.
    If Geno goes down we have Hurrell and Simms , (assuming that Sanchez gets traded for some cheese dips). Add in a bonafide QB next draft and hold yet another open qb comp.....
    TBH this whole qb thing is really starting to make my head spin

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If Geno plays very well there's no way we go QB round 1/2 next year. That doesn't make much sense.

8. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

So what exactly is going to get him ready? Sitting behind the great Mark Sanchez and a few quarters in pre-season next year?

Jets have nothing to lose by starting him, only NFL experience will make him improve, not sitting around watching Sanchez throw games away.

9. gustoonarmy

Its alcohol o'clock here now :wink: but I really think we will, regardless.
    I think we have Geno and Matt as locks to make the team, plus _____ a draft pick QB, sense or not, its a hunch.

That said I really hope Geno is as good as advertised and better, we could do with other areas getting attention in next years draft and not drafting yet another QB

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am of the opinion if there is a franchise QB available when we pick next year we take him unless we are pretty certain Geno is our franchise QB. Better to have two possible franchise QBs than one who may or not be. Competition especially at the QB position is a good thing.

That being said I hope we can save the pick because Geno turns out to be the QB we want him to be. The worst case scenario is he is better than Sanchez but mediocre enough where we do nothing. Hopefully we will learn our lesson from Sanchez. After 2010 it should have been clear he needed to be replaced. After 2011 it was reported there was a large split in the FO that wanted to get rid of him. Instead we almost ended up with year 5 of arguably the worst QB ever to get to play 4+ seasons with one team. In the future I hope we learn and invest in the QB position bringing in legitimate competition.

The worst thing that can happen if we get two good QBs is one sits for a couple years then we trade one before their contract ends. QBs who have not shown themselves to be terrible almost always return good value in trades. I love what the Redskins did in drafting RG# and Cousins in the same year while keeping Grossman. Granted Cousins seems to have been exceptional value for a 3rd round pick but the philosophy of investing in the QB position is quite sound. Look at Seattle last year they signed their QB of the future in Flynn but then drafted value in Wilson and then were able to move Flynn for a profit when Wilson showed his talent.

#2590 Noam, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  11. gustoonarmy

How do you think he will be feeling if he hangs onto the ball too long, gets sacked all the time, forces throws that end up incomplete or intercepted, that will do him the world of good wouldn't it?

Of course he might be amazing.....thats the risk......worth taking?

12. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

So who should start? Don't give me Sanchez, he's hurt right now.

Are you saying Simms should start? Based on what, TC and meaningless preseason against a bunch of non-NFL players?

There's no good answer for this. Is Geno ready to be a good quarterback? Probably not. But not sure what proof we have that Simms is either.

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I find it more hilarious that you can support the decision of a team to START a QB with no NFL expereice whatsoever and throw 3 INTS within 2 quarters against a team that was showing a basic defense..

Nope, I don't think my comment can compare comically to yours.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it's always alcohol o'clock. you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

as far as the qb, I don't think we take one if geno shows anything.
    1. I doubt the draft class comes out as good as advertised right now.

2. we won't be in the top ten picks so I don't see the value being there when you look at who could be potentially taking qbs ahead of us.( looking at you Jacksonville ,Oakland and Arizona)

so if we win 7-8 games and picking in the 11-14 range with 3 qb's off the board there will probably be better value at another position. we seen this year that idzic will not stray from the board.
    so speaking generally i'd say 60-40 not taking a qb right now

15. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

And how is sitting for year going to make him better? He's going to learn by osmosis? He's going to learn by watching Sanchez arguably the worst QB in the NFL? What exactly do you think the benefit is to sitting him? At some point he's going to have to get the ball and he will get sacked and throw INT's, it's all about how he comes back from that. This isn't 1993, QBs don't sit for 4 years anymore, it's sink or swim. The pocket passer is going by the wayside, and too many athletic, talented QBs coming out to sit a guy for four years to learn an offense.

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Confidence it's everything, if he loses it, he's done

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

to be fair, the pick to Justin tuck was a great defense call, no one expects JT to drop back. more than a few qb's would have gave that one away

whats the alternative? mark is hurt and has no future on this team. simms is a 3rd stringer. albeit a good one compared to philly's 3rd stringers.

so whats your solution?

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't care if he is making mistakes. I care if he is learning from those mistakes and making progress. If he reaches the point where he is so overwhelmed by mistakes he cannot progress then he needs to be taken out. But if he is learning and getting better then it is good he plays. This all assumes that he is also able to protected himself. But it appears MM is pretty comfortable with a gameplan that allows him to be protected and for him to progress slowly and to learn.

This is up to Geno. If he can be thick skinned and learn from the good and the bad that is all we can ask. Giving the reps to Geno this year may not be great for this year but hopefully it will pay dividends in year 2 and 3.

The bigger question is can the fanbase be patient and let Geno learn without calling for his head after 8 games. If we lose I see a lot of screaming and whining. The younger Jet fanbase has never really experienced losing. They have no idea what it was like to follow the team in the 70's and in the 90's where the season would essentially be over by game 3. It is a good thing the internet was not around during the 70's. I don't mind a rebuilding year for better times next year but I can see it getting pretty ugly this year no matter who the QB is.

19. gustoonarmy

Says who?

Two things going on here, we do have a choice and if Geno is best option, its marginal.
    We do have other options, and if Geno is the future, maybe care is needed

20. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

This season

I saw my first Jet game in 1964 at Shea. Many seasons were over before mid-season. The way the league is now they should be able to make progress as the year goes along. A young team getting better. Why not?