The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

He is more "ready" than Sanchez was as a rookie--Sanchez only started 1 year in college. And if not "ready" in your opinion. do you think Smith watching Sanchez throw red zone pics, fumbling snaps, and running up a teammate's butt GETS Smith ready? Peyton Manning started right away as a rookie, threw 28 interceptions that year, and turned out pretty good. Not saying Smith will ever be Manning, but what have we to lose? We KNOW Sanchez can lose games for us.

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I guess the best way to sum it all up, really....is....we will see next Sunday how it all pans out, huh? lol lol man...seems like a LIFETIME away!!! :lol:

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Pretty much agree with this. Rex was gushing about him in his presser.

Yep kind of agree, but then you could also turn that around, what if Simms did start and played his socks off, how then could Geno be inserted as a starter, which is what he was drafted for?
    Rex's job is not on the line this year, barring something cataclysmic happening.
    Rex is towing the Idzek line and he knows it. The Jets FO know that in Rex we have one of THE best D minded coaches in the game, maybe not the best HC (yet) but with the introduction of Marty now have a perfect balance (hopefully). Idzek is the one calling all the shots here.

I'm not about to defend Sanchez, but apart from the pick 6 his play has largely been pretty decent this pre-season. Up until this week all we've heard is that in the QB race they have been 'equal'.
    Had Geno not picked up that ankle injury and played more pre season I might be thinking differently.

What do we have to lose? - I'd say a potentially very good QB if he isn't ready. A lot of people are saying this is how its done now, gone are the days of QBs learning from the sideline, really? I've seen plenty of young promising QBs get thrown in and are now languishing on depth charts or on their way out of the NFL.

We all want Geno to do well or whoever is under center, but I would prefer to see him eased him rather than being 'handed' the reigns.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

For better or for worse the Geno Smith Era is beginning. Will it be a long one? Who knows. Honestly I wasn't a fan of drafting Geno this year, but I didn't hate it either.

So how can I want Geno more than Sanchez to start? simple, we know what Sanchez is. A guy who provides a few big plays that stand out in memory but also makes a lot of dumb decisions that only a rookie should make with any constancy. You can blame OC's for lackluster offenses, but not for turnovers especially those that from staring down receivers in to double or triple coverage. Sanchez is essentially a game manager who doesn't take care of the football and do the smart thing with the ball.

But enough about Sanchez, this is about Geno. I expect rookie season up's and down's with Smith this year...it's going to happen, especially with the rough first half of the season.

The jets are most likely going to lose the first game against the Buc's, the Buc's aren't a great team but they're better top to bottom than the Jets are this year.

I'm not going to judge Smith on his win loss percentage, I don't judge Sanchez by that or any other QB. My viewpoint is W/L is a team stat. What I will be watching is whether Geno makes the team better than it is or worse than it is. I can live with 20 turnovers IF he puts up 3,500 yards and 30+ TD's in the air, not that he will in his rookie year.

The thing is if your going to turn the ball over a lot then you have to bring something else to the table on the field that off sets turnovers. And lets be fair here, not all turnovers are equal. They are all bad in the end yes, But I can excuse an occasional pick on a 40 yard bomb, I can't excuse picks on screens and short dump off passes in to double and triple coverage.

But to me, what's really the best part of Geno starting this year is that the team can assess him based on the season and determine if they need to expend a 1st round pick on a QB next year in the draft. To me this is a rebuilding year, in the NFL rebuilding can be as short as a 1 year process, as evident by how often teams in the NFL go from worst one season to the playoffs the next season.

I see the Jets as a 1 to 2 year rebuilding team, whether it's a one year or two year process depends on how Geno plays this season. If he's god awful the Jets will draft a QB next year and it becomes a 2 year rebuilding.

5. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sanchez throws errant throws both preseason games
    Geno shows to be a rookie
    Simms is comfortable with the 3s and 4s
    AVERAGE is all we need to compete is all seriousness

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

It's a pretty big limb. Especially with several credible reports that MM and Rex have both had Geno ahead in the competition since week 2, and all the drama we have seen is because of the ankle injury.

Heres what I think: Geno will be OROY

7. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Who ever can be sure that a raw rookie is ready? Manning stunk through his first 4 or 5 games. You may play great in pre season and stink once the bells ring. Nobody knows. Until things actually happen in the real world.

8. gustoonarmy

That's a bigger limb I reckon :wink:

9. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

"Ready, what exactly does that mean.Does having 52 turnovers the last 2 years make Sanchez ready. I think not. Moving on. Much easier to root for Jet's with Geno playing QB.

10. UWSfan

UWSfan New Member

Go check out Russel Wilson's stats from his first 10 starts. 15 td and 8 int. 3 starts below a 63 rating. Looked lost at St Louis and at SF. It took him time to get going, and he used his first season to learn and grow. Let's not overreact to every bad play Geno makes at the start of the year, let's judge him on how well he improves and how he finishes the year.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You'll never stop the over reactionary fans from being over reactionary. It's the nature of the beast.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sanchez had 26 turnovers in 2011 and 2012 and 2009 and 2010wasn't great either.(not looking up the numbers,too lazy)

so to think he is going to limit mistakes is wishful at best.

his career comp % is round 50 over 4 years, but since he went 67% in a small window against vanilla defenses we should think he is going to raise that by 10%?
    another tough sell.

his cap # for next year virtually guarantees he will be gone next year.

I admit he had a good for his standards preseason but he has not done anything to show he can turn a team around. long term or short term.
    (stay out of this hobbes)

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Where are those reports?

I've been hearing everything and anything from the media. It's Geno's time though let's see what the young guy has to offer. I agree with OP that Geno is not ready and this could severely damage his progression since he's being thrown out there too early but we don't have a choice.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I have a feeling Sanchez isn't going to be on the roster by Sunday.

15. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

wow, interesting ... maybe a team like GB would trade a late round pick since they need a backup, but Sanchez would have to do something with that salary

16. UWSfan

UWSfan New Member

All we can do is try to stem the tide. Sanchez is through, it's over. Let's just move on and see what we've got. I'll give a 3 year college starter with a 70% completion who by all accounts is smart and a hard worker a chance to be the man.

QB is a thinking man's position. It's all about decision making. Sanchez doesn't have the tools for it. He just doesn't think like a QB or make quick enough decisions. What good is it if he goes 6-10 or 7-9 this year?

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well I could be dead wrong on that but it just seems really fishy to me that Graham Harrell made the final cut leaving 4 QB's on the roster. Especially when we only kept 5 WR's.

A Sanchez trade seems unlikely to me for obvious reasons, but it's not impossible. He could also end up being cut. Idzik may not want to deal with a potentially toxic situation with Sanchez on the bench behind a struggling rookie.

18. gustoonarmy

Thats easy to explain, its a new training philosophy , one QB per WR

19. mute

mute Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

Honestly I was shocked that Vince Young was cut by GB even though it seemed he performed ok ... maybe that's where Sanchez can go.

Or a place like the Raiders that already kept 4 QBs and 2 punters lol