The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Nobdy enjoys rding txt tlk

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

Bingo. Rex's job is on the line, and I cant imagine how bad it would look if Idzik went with Simms over Geno and Simms then sucked... His head would be called for mid season.

3. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

NFL politics certainly dictate to such and I understand that, but at this point, I dont think Rex would be looked upon as a complete fool for starting Simms if it didn't work out. But he wouldnt have to worry about that anyways because Simms Will work out.

4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

As inexperienced as he is, as bad as he might play, I'm willing to lay odds Geno won't have 52 turnovers in the next 2 years, so we are already ahead of the game.

5. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I knew when I wrote that last line it wasn't clear...I should have clarified myself.

I've seen this happen before...It's MORE than a possibility that if a contract is extended Simms tells them to wait until the end of the season etc...he's not talking contract during the season. He has his old man to "coach" him on the intricacies of the "deal." The longer the season goes on, if Geno is tanking, the more his value goes up to the Jets. If Geno does well...then based on his preseason work another team will give a lot more money than the Jets will to be a number 3 with no shot in hell of competing for the opening spot.

I meant that barring an injury to Geno, Simms is probably riding the pine all season. I can imagine the conversation that Rex and Marty had with Matt today...we're sorry kid, you put up the best numbers of the 5 QB's but we're going to relegate you to 3rd string and start the guy you just beat out on the field...because we drafted him in the 2nd round. Don't think for a minute that if Geno looks like a turd out there the veterans aren't whispering why we didn't start Simms based on the "on the field" product. It's all about the wins baby.

If I'm Matt Simms...I KNOW I outplayed all of them...no matter the competition....and I get rewarded with a 3rd string position!?! Once Sanchez comes back he won't even DRESS for a number of games more than likely...no dressy...no game check. THAT is how that works people. He'll still get paid but only a FRACTION of what a game check is. No, if I'm Matt Simms I sit and wait. What I meant by smoke screen is if the FO is telling us Geno and they end up starting Simms game one...it could happen.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I don't understand this logic at all. Starting Simms would seem to be the safest thing Rex could do. Sanchez is hurt and there seems to be almost universal agreement on the following two statements: 1) Geno Smith is not ready for prime time and 2) Simms easily had the best overall performance of any Jets quarterback this preseason. What am I missing?

#2526 slimjasi, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I disagree with the Barkley point, I think you are spot on.

I never liked the pick either, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think Geno is the answer.

8. IdiditMawae

IdiditMawae New Member

This. A voice of reason.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Once again, all we have seen are a few preseason quarters by each QB. No one on this message board knows if Geno Smith is ready or not. Saying he is not ready is just as dumb as saying he is. We've seen 3 quarters of play of him, and clearly the coaching staff didnt think his play was that bad. We have not seen the month and a half of training camp or OTAs.

Second of all, Simms did play very well, but you have to look at the circumstance (no game planning on either side, only a handful of plays executed and the outcome- win or lose, doesnt matter) and who was playing during that time.

Thats the way I see it at least.

10. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Quarterback

I agree that Smith is not ready to be a top signal caller right now but rookie QB's have taken the field early more and more. If Sanchez can't go then Geno will have to. They will give him a solid game plan and limit his options early. That is what coaches are paid to do. Play solid defense, good specials and pick his spots. He may surprise.

11. mezzavo

Laxin, I'm going to ask a question of you (not condescending please so do not take it as such)....have you played sports? Not just football but anything...soccer, basketball etc...? I'll wait for a response before I go on. <seriously....I'm going to explain MY personal stand point as best I can after I see your answer>

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yes I have played multiple sports.

#2532 laxin, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. week17magic

week17magic New Member

Honestly, it's fair to say at this point that Rex is getting fired unless the team wins at least eight games.

14. mezzavo

Ok cool...

So here is where I'm coming from...do you remember when you were playing whatever sport and you came up against a team that had a guy...or girl...that was just...wow? The team rallied around them, they exuded a confidence? Maybe they weren't the most talented person on the field/court but they got it "done?"

After I got done playing pro ball I went and played a while of Semi-pro ball out in Oregon. We had this guy...a QB...he wasn't the fastest or shiftiest guy but he had a rocket arm, pocket presence and this quality...you couldn't put your finger on it. We WANTED to roll through a brick wall for this guy. He lead us.

Now, I know I'm not at Jets practice...I'm not in the meetings...not in the locker room but THAT is the difference I see between Geno Smith and Matt Simms. To be quite frank, as much as I hate to admit it...I see it in Mark Sanchez as well... Go back, if you can, and watch the Jets preseason games. Do not watch a single play. What I want you to watch all three QB's and watch their body language and demeanor in the huddle and on the sidelines. Please disregard the Ass poking that Sanchez was doing in game 4. But watch how they manage the huddle. How they rally their guys around them. to me...Geno looks like he is just another player on the New York Jets, the other two are leaders on the New York Jets. I expect that from a 5th yr. man in Sanchez...but to see Simms exude that, at this stage, is telling. They show excitement...fire...all the time. The only time I saw fire from Geno was when they scored.

Now, I could just be seeing things...or not enough things...but those intangibles tell me what I need to know...for now. For the short term. That's kind of why I've been in Simms corner since I've finally got to see him play.

15. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

You turn to Sanchez -- 67% completion in pre season and led the team to 37 points. That is who you turn to. Sanchez in 2011 account for 32 TDs -- put him in the right offense and get him to limit mistakes (which I think this offense will do) and Sanchez is the best option on the roster.

16. slimjasi

This is all fair and I agree with most of it, but all I was saying is that I fail to see how starting Simms would be particularly unsafe for Rex, especialy in light of what everyone seems to think about Smith ("he's not ready") and Sanchez ("he sucks and he's hurt").

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

Thats definitely fair, and I understand that. Geno may not have that 'it" factor, but maybe he does? As far as leadership goes, there have been good things reported for Smith. It definitely something I will be paying attention to when he starts.

Look at Eli. The guy shows absolutely no emotion and it doesnt seem like he exudes confidence, but Im sure the Giants would run through a wall for him.

I would love to go back and watch the games, but unfortunately they were deleted off of my DVR.

---------

Believe me, I did REALLY like what I saw from Simms. I think he has one of the best arms in the entire NFL- yes, the entire NFL. I thought he also showed resilience too. With that said, I can not realistically see him starting over Geno. I am no authority, but I dont know how you can truly compare and evaluate each QB to each other. Maybe Geno plays well in that circumstance? Maybe Simms plays poorly in Geno's situation? I dont think its a secret the Jets think Geno Smith has a lot of potential, and they are going to give him a shot first over an UDFA (even if Simms outplayed Geno in a small sample of the preseason). If Smith sucks after a few games, then yeah, lets see what we have in Simms.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

I dont really think the organization see's Smith as not ready.

If we started Simms and he sucked, I cant see how it ends well for Rex unless Geno then comes in and lights it up- which then Im sure he will be questioned for why Geno didnt start in the first place.

19. slimjasi

He will be second-guessed, and ultimately fired, no matter who he starts at QB, if the Jets don't win games.

As to the bolded, I'm not sure one way or another, but regardless, I was referring to the perception of the fans and collective sports media.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

Not to generalize (abyzmal), but the same media and fans that that thought Tebow had a shot a starting last year? Im sure as you know, I think its extremely premature of fans to conclude that Geno isnt ready- imo the jury is still out. We well see in the upcoming weeks tho.

But yes I agree 100% with the first part.