The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni
    McElroni

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I have no problem starting a rookie, but I do have a problem with him riding the pine with someone like Sanchez in front of him and agree somewhat that we now have a whole new way of thinking with regard to QBs.

Its a horrible situation to be in, but it is what it is

3. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

And in his 5th year, neither is Sanchez.

4. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

A tough schedule is going to get his confidence down early. Sanchez is a much better option right now, but he won't be ready healthwise. Geno won't struggle early, but once we start losing, it could get ugly.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. I've been rooting for Geno the whole way. I just didn't do anything to make me think he's ready.

5. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

The thing about rookie QBs is that things can snowball quickly. Geno looked pretty good in the last preseason game and then mistakes started mounting. In Tannehill's first game last year, he played very well in the first quarter and then threw 3 picks in a span of a couple minutes - 2 of which off tipped passes.

He has to show he has a strong resolve and move on to the next play - something I'm not sure Sanchez can do anymore based off the last couple seasons.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not sure what you mean here, sanchez is the very reason geno was drafted.

so you say he should ride the pine because of someone like sanchez. I think sanchez is more of a reason to start geno

7. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Yeah me and Mr Jack at the moment ;)

What I mean is that Yeah Geno is here because Sanchez is shite, and its even more shite that Geno hasn't had the pre-season that he should have because of injury and SHOULD sit for a bit longer until he picks up the tempo a bit more.

In an ideal world Geno plays all pre season and continues his excellent TC, it didn't happen and he missed the most important part of pre season IMO

8. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

do you have any faith in Rex and MM plus David Lee? I think they know what they are doing.

9. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

I agree with you. Its funny how Sanchez fans refuse to back any other QB then their hero. A QB like Sanchez is exactly why we HAD to draft GENO so high. They refuse to admit it and He dumps on Geno but failed to say that Sanchez did not outplay a very raw rookie QB by much. SIMMS looked better then Sanchez by far!

10. 34miami23

34miami23 Active Member

you do have to wonder though ... if the Jets believe so much in Geno, why didn't they take him in the 1st?

Did they take him in the 2nd because it was great value and a convenient way to nudge Sanchez out of the door?

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Sheldon and Dee were top 4 players on their board. They went purely on value. They said they were deciding between Sheldon and Geno at 13, but went according to their board.

12. abyzmul

:) Now we're both guilty of embellishment.

It was meant to get your attention and worked.

The way someone says something goes a long way toward caring if their opinion is with reading a second time. I've seen plenty of posters here over the past decade that had interesting opinions, but wanted to come down in the forum like a football preacher, and those opinions were thrown out with the bathwater.

I don't either. In fact, I am far more optimistic at this point about the prospect of learning what Geno has in an NFL game than I would be about Sanchez under center.

I do think that Geno looked like he was drowning in that Giants game, but before the game, I also thought he was under the gun against a top flight pass rush.

Geno gets the start and now we get to see how he has developed so far.

I personally don't think he is ready. But I have not been to camp, and I have not been in the meeting rooms.

Yes, the jury is out.

13. fish_squisher

fish_squisher Member

maybe they should play Geno just in the red zone. (j/k)

14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This argument that the Jets know something about Geno, other than the 2 preseason games the fans have only to go by, just doesn't wash. If the Jets are basing their decision on in-between-game practices, I just have to laugh real hard. So they're now judging a players ability by practice squad sessions with their own team mates?

The true way to tell how a player is ready and able is based on what he does when he goes up against a rival and with something of a purpose. The 3rd preseason game against the Giants should have been the litmus test.

But the Jets CS/Mgt is doing this in their method-of-madness approach that many here seem to go along with.

If the Jets really know what they are doing, they should let another QB take the 1st game and let GIno come in as 2nd stringer - this would place much less greater pressure on him to perforn.

But, alas, I'm not so sure they know what they are doing.....we shall see in the Tampa game....I'll stay mum until that game is on the record books.

15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Just reading that part of your post you could be talking about Sanchez.
    Geno is younger, cheaper, more mobile, and has upside potential.....Sanchez is just Sanchez, a 5th year pro who still makes the same mistakes the rookie Geno is making.

16. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

hate to tell you this but the Jets probably lose the Tampa game regardless of who's at QB. People on this board are WAY underestimating the Buc's.

17. abyzmul

Holy shit. Are you for real? If so, I have to laugh real hard, too. Preseason games are scrimmages against other teams and basically give a CS an idea of how players they have been evaluating in practices for months can respond to a new situation.

The fact that you just wrote off the idea of coaches evaluating a player in practice...

I really can't believe I just read that.

18. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I guess I would be more on "start the kid" bandwagon, if I felt he had more to work with. At least when Sanchez was a rookie he had a great offensive line protecting him, a strong running game and stellar defense to help eliminate any mistakes. This year defense will be solid, but the offensive personnel is a bit unspectacular.

Geno is going to take his lumps. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistakes and progress, like Sanchez did in the beginning.

It's a wait and see season for me. If Ryan can get six wins out if this motley crew, he deserves an extension. Anything less, it's good luck with that next defensive coordinator job.

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Our fanbase is ridiculous sometimes. Simms played against 3rd stringers. Geno may not be ready but he is going to get ready quickly once he adjusts to the speed of the game. Let him prove that he's more than just 3 quarters of a pre-season game against the Giants.

20. QueenzKID

QueenzKID Banned

geno will b fine ppl r overreacting actn like the guy cant play at all, hes a gud qb he will mk rookie mistakes, but they will b very limited i guarantee he wont throw 1 int vs TB N THATS A Promise