"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Ok...now Casserly is someone I can get behind!!!!

Ummm people...PEOPLE...while, as I've said, Matt Simms didn't get the reps with the first team in practices let's not lose our pretty little heads here as far as the plays and playbook go. Boy, do I have to really spell EVERYTHING out for some of you?? Holy Dog Shit!!!! Matt Simms had Marty's playbook, along with Sanchez, MONTHS before Geno Smith came along...good god!

Some of you REALLY need to take a step back...a deep breath and look at the whole picture from a 30,000 foot view. Unbelievable!!!

Also, if this coaching staff AND GM are smart...they start Simms over Smith. It's a NEW day in the NFL my fine friends. No longer is there gazillions of dollars tied to some of these guys....let alone a meager 2nd round draft choice. If Milliner or Sheldon tank...there will be talk. If a circumspect 2nd rounder doesn't necessarily pan out in the first year no one that actually matters will care. Nacho is Ryan's boy...Geno is Idzik's boy...bullshit. Rex Ryan's career is on the line and El Guapo has left him hanging out to dry. Trust me...Idzik will not lose that much sleep over a 2nd round pick, even if it is a QB. Idzik is here to win with whomever he can win with. Period.

Life is short in the NFL and if you stumble upon a guy that can win for you then you have got to grab hold and take it. As Charlie Casserly said...."If you were really serious about competition then you have your winner."

It will be a cold day in Jet Fandom if Geno Smith plays BECAUSE he was drafted higher than Simms after putting on the stink fest he has this preseason. Cars and buildings will BURN if he goes out there and gets destroyed by Tampa with Simms sitting on the bench AFTER the preseason that HE just put up.

#341 mezzavo, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. mezzavo

If that's what the Jets intend to do then that's THEIR job. It's my job, as a fan, to rail against the wind no matter how futile until the collective brain trust (I use that term loosely) sees the writing on the wall and starts the more productive player to date this season...and that's Simms.

I do not have to get behind any Jet coach or player until 15:00 shows up on the clock in the first quarter on Sunday.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying and a lot of it makes sense. I really wanted to see Tebow start last year and he never got a chance, not once, which was bs regardless of what everyone's preconceived notions of his QB limitations were. He was a winner plain and simple. Yet they stayed with Sanchez and the season went to shit.

Anyways, don't want to make this about Tebow, this was just an example of wanting a fresh start at QB.

I just want anyone but Sanchez to start and Simms has looked good but he's fighting for 3rd string on the depth chart. For many of the reasons you listed, he's just not going to get a fair shot at the #1 job.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Interesting, I always assumed a safety was considered as a turnover. Learn a new thing everyday.

Whoever it is, the Jets don't have tell us but they better be telling and giving that player practice reps with the 1s.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Agree 100%. What a joke. People really are over sensitive when you can't even use the hand gun motion. OMG They are corrupting the Youth!!!! Get the F outta here. Grow a set of balls, America. Stop scapegoating.

#345 Barcs, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jesus, Brad.

If Brady thing irks you that much, change that to Kurt Warner and read the rest. It still makes same point.

7. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

I agree.

SIMMS showed his moxie by taking some HUGE hits & getting right back up!
    He was far from perfect and made his share of rookie mistakes, but his arm strength & accuracy shows how much raw potential this kid has! I'm pretty much sure if he was afforded the chance to compete for starting qb along w. Sanchez & Smith DAY1 of training camp & getting his share of reps w. the 1st team offense, kid would've gave both a run 4 their money.

Tho' SIMMS is far fr ready & able to be considered as opening day starter yet I hope the Jet-Collective recognizes the raw talent he has. If nurtured properly, SIMMS could be the "MAN"!!!

8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It is normal to like what you saw out of Simms. It is normal to feel a little excitement in regards to what he could be down the road.

There is a fine line between the desperate in this thread and those that understand the situation.

Anyone that thinks that Simms is the best QB on the roster is desperate. That's the only thing I can make out of all this crazy hype Simms is getting right now.

Straight desperate.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm pretty sure I addressed you directly. Put down the bullhorn and respond to me directly.

10. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

After this game, I think Simms has shown that he can be a starter for the Jets. I think Smith will get Game 1, and they can always avoid starting Mark in the short-term by saying that his shoulder needs more time to recover. If Geno struggles a lot to begin the season, I don't see Rex letting games and games slip by if Geno isn't playing well.

I think it's important to look at what Rex said after the game. He admitted to being very surprised at how much Simms has improved, saying he's never seen that much improvement that fast in a QB. When he was asked if Simms had played his way into the competition to start, he didn't really deny it outright or rule it out completely. So, like I said- I think there is a very decent chance of Simms starting if Geno plays in the regular season like he did in the preseason. He'll be on a short leash, and it's even possible Rex could pull Smith and put in Simms in the first or second game if he's throwing lots of picks, on the theory that he won't want to ruin his confidence. Then if Simms does well, well, that's how UDFAs become starters.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you're missing his point entirely because it isn't about Brady it is about NFL decision makers. clearly Brady had the ability to be the top pick in the draft, so why wasn't he? he went through the combine where he had to have exhibited at least a portion of what would make him the greatest QB of this era. and they had game film to see that in action. so why was he ignored by the entire league?

because the NFL decision makers go right along with who he media hypes, especially for QB's. if the media doesn't sell you, you are ignored. NFL decision makers can't look at a QB and identify whether he will be great or not, hence why the vast majority are misses. so what does that say about players that are never given a shot? it says that they can't overcome the preconceived bias of the decision makers who are afraid to hitch their career to a player nobody has ever heard of. most won't make it regardless, but those who could are never afforded the opportunity.

his point about Brady was just that. minus a freak injury and he never sees the field. not because of his ability but because, well, the very reason why people don't want to give Simms a shot. because if he was any good he wouldn't have fallen to the 7th round.

12. mezzavo

My bad Byz....putting down my bull horn for a few. :)

I had to think about this a second before answering. Yes, as I alluded and you subsequently supported/alluded to as well...Simms and Gmac didn't get the snaps.

The thing is this...Marty is going to have to "dumb" down the offense to Smith as well. It was PAINFULLY clear that he was thinking waaayyyyy too much in the amount of game time that we saw. You could almost, literally, see him checking each step off in his head as he was rolling through his progressions. Let's not forget that Sanchez, Gmac and Simms had Marty's playbook months before Geno was even drafted. Simms simply hasn't executed it as many times in practice with the 1's. There really hasn't been any game planning until now so he should be just as up to speed as Smith, mentally. If they pulled the trigger he could start getting 1st team snaps.

I can't say that Geno is a bust. We haven't seen anything yet. The only thing, in my mind, for sure is that he isn't ready mentally for this game. Either way you look at it, Marty is going to have to dumb something down for either one of them. I would prefer we go with Simms so Geno can get his legs under him without getting killed.

13. Laureen

Laureen New Member

I am new to the NY Jets, but watched all of the preseason games. Simms impressed me. After the 1st quarter he looked like a leader. Maybe the first quarter he just had the jitters, or maybe the change in the OL for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters game him more confidence.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good eye Laureen. Simms impressed a lot of fans.

Welcome to the NY Jets. The funnest football team around.

So much fun in fact, it's been called a circus!

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Don't bother. He's blinded by something. I don't know.

If at all, he didn't respond to any other issues I raised on the previous post.

[And all Geno supporters seem to ignore that he looked like total dog shit against Giants 2s. Simms did not. This is umpteenth time I am raising this point.]

16. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Welcome to TGG laureen :)

And that will get him killed.
    That said Simms did the exact same thing as well, but almost instantly realised that the tempo of the game was something he'd have to adjust too, quite literally he came of age right in front of our eyes.

Found this snippet....
    Not a bad write up for Cimini.

I wonder if we could actually see Sanchez gone this season now....?

17. DieHrdGreen

DieHrdGreen Banned

The simple fact is this, another season with Sanchez as QB will be a losing season..The Jets have 3 other QBS, pick one to start, my choice would be Simms, he has played the best out of the other 3 QBS,, If you don't want to start a rookie then start McElroy,,,JUST DONT START SANCHEZ !!!

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I guess you would have said exactly the same thing about Kurt Warner who was an undrafted FA who didn't earn a starting spot on Northern Iowa's squad until his 5th year. He was redshirted. He was signed as an undrafted player and cut in camp by the Packers his first NFL season.

The Jets desperately need to take a long look at him. Unlike the Pats the Jets don't have Tom Brady, they have Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. To not take a look would be beyond stupid and bordering on incompetence by management.

19. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't get the argument that Simms isn't ready to start. Sanchez isn't ready to start, but that hasn't stopped us the last four years. Geno is pretty clearly not ready.

I say we don't even bother naming a starter. Give each of them (each healthy one, anyway) some playing time in the first two or three games. Obviously this will hurt our chances in those games, but we have to find out who can really handle this position --I even think Mark deserves a fair shot with a real OC in real games. But our season is already junk if we don't make the right choice here.

I don't trust this franchise to actually take the time to make the right decision on QBs. They haven't done it very often in their history.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Warner's travels are well documented.

I haven't said anywhere that Simms isn't qualified to start in the Arena Football League and who knows where that takes him? If he's really good there he might get a real shot in the NFL.

I'd have figured you to be smarter than this on this issue. I'm not going to go any further than that because I've laid out the positions above.

Actually I'll go just a step further: "Start the guy who has looked good for a month against backups" is about the most insane position the Jets could take at this point. If everybody else was hurt and they had nobody? Well that's the situation in which you throw a guy who has no credentials to be an NFL starting QB on the field. Assuming that you for some reason had that guy in camp in the first place.

#360 Br4d, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013