"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You install a new O and have a QB comp and you have guaranteed that nobody is going to be ready. Geno is not just not ready he looks overwhelmed. Simms at least knows the score and showed that he can stand in and take some heat. If Sanchez isn't ready to go Simms should start. If he looks okay let him keep going until the league makes an adjustment he can't handle. The good thing about the early part of the season is nobody is ready. Tape and adjustments aren't available week 1.

2. mute

mute Well-Known Member

preseason is over.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All the "Simms should start" talk would never have gained traction if Sanchez, Smith or even McElroni had shown something, anything in their pre-season play.

Simms did.

I hope Rex & Marty are sitting in their office today thinking "why not"...

4. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

If Simms starts week 1, Metha, Cimini and the rest of the sportsclowns will poop their pants in glee.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Part of me wants to agree with you. Smith definitely looked like a deer in headlights.

Still doesn't make sense to me, though.

I know what I saw last night and it was a quick thinking unshaken rocket-armed young QB that was putting the ball where only the receiver could catch it. It was uncanny.

But if Br4d is right about anything in this thread, and it's probably the only thing, it's that the offense they were running was extremely limited in sets. They could only have run about 10 different passing plays. A defense like Tampa with that secondary is going to pick that up quickly and start jumping routes like they are going out of style.

6. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

That's enough reason for me.

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

No offense, but Geno Smith probably could have lit up the Eagles backups and 3rd stringers as well. If Sanchez can't go, it has to be Geno. The Giants D was no joke, Geno got some rookie mistakes out of the way. The Bucs D will be tough to run against, but a lot depends on Revis. If he isn't 100% there will be holes to exploit. Their offense hasn't looked good at all yet, so it's a very winnable game even with a rookie at the helm.

8. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Would like to see the guy with our 1s against the other sides 1s

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Also to add, the Giants D did some game planning as well, and there's no such thing as game planning in the 4th preseason game.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I hear you, but at the most important position (QB) on any NFL team, if you haven't fucking sorted it out by now, then you might have to live with 4 QBs, as much as that belies "conventional NFL thinking."

11. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

The thread is titled start Simms so not sure how you can't compare. Simms smoked both of those bust this summer. If it is an open competition he is the starter.

12. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I'm not a sanchez supporter 1 bit but i agree with this statement

Sanchez is the best qb on our roster right now if he can play he should start, Geno showed nothing that should give him the nod over Sanchez

Unfortunately Sanchez is hurt so Geno will start by default, Here's to hoping he lights it up

13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

From Cimini:

Matt Simms can rest easy. Based on Rex Ryan's comments Friday, it sounds like the first-year quarterback has a place on the 53-man roster.

"This young man has really improved now ... oh my goodness," Ryan said. "He always had that big arm. Clearly, he has the arm talent to play in the league. Quite honestly, I don't think I've ever seen anybody make the improvements he’s made. ... He's been absolutely outstanding in the preseason games."

Simms has made huge strides since last year, a credit to him and new quarterbacks coach David Lee. The son of Phil Simms has harnessed his arm strength, improving his accuracy. His final preseason numbers jump off the page -- 44-for-59 (74.6 percent), 478 yards, one touchdown and a 103.6 passer rating. The most important stat -- no turnovers.

In Thursday night's preseason finale, he was the best quarterback on the field, outplaying Eagles backups Nick Foles and rookie Matt Barkley. Simms competed 33 of 44 passes for 285 yards. He wasn't flawless (there was a safety, two fumbles and two near-interceptions), but he probably did enough to win a backup job.

The Jets have five quarterbacks on the roster -- Simms, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Greg McElroy and Graham Harrell. Ryan didn't discount the possibility of keeping four. Ryan was asked if Simms played his way into the quarterback competition with Sanchez and Smith. Ryan didn't dismiss it, but Simms isn't a realistic option because he's never played with or against first-stringers at this level.

"I certainly see where you could make a case for it," Ryan said of Simms, trying to keep it positive. "He did have a tremendous preseason. He looked absolutely tremendous. He really elevated his stock, I would think."

But not enough to be considered for the starting job.
    All the interjection of Simms NOT being in consideration for the starting spot is put in by the reporters. Ryan has been non-comittal about either Sanchez and Smith, but says you CAN make the case Simms is part of the rotation. Interesting.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The long weekend will afford Rex the opportunity to work up a few sketches of his wife wearing a Simms jersey...

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Really, really good observation... and something we don't ever factor into the equation in early season.

16. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Yea me too, to actually see him with highly skilled offensive weapons would be fun, except our "highly skilled" recievers can't hold on to the ball that much better than their backup counterparts..

17. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

This is nuts. Geno gets his first start out of college against a good pass rushing team, throws 3 INTs ---all of a type which I have seen thrown by polished vets---makes a dumb rookie move stepping out of the end zone--no dumber than the buttfumble or some of the many other things that Sanchez has done for this team, and people are deciding that his career is over. All based on one bad performance. Nuts, just nuts. People, get some perspective.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Wow - one of the few non-delusional things Ryan has discussed over the last few years.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Yep....I feel a #5 tattoo is a coming......

20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Spot on, the truth shall set you free!