"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Do you guys know what all this keeps going back to?

WE HAVE NO STARTING QB! This is why these threads are going through the charts. We are fucked this year but good, so we might as well get used to the idea.

1) Sanchez sucks.
    2) Geno's not ready.
    3) GMac has shown promise, but ......

4) Because of last night's excellent performance (and a few other scattered appearances), Simms has thrown a gigantic monkey wrench into the competition. But he is far from ready too. And do you really want to have 4 QBs on the active roster?

So we are screwed but good. If Sanchez isn't good to go in Game One, then Geno has to start. And if he goes down and GMac is gone, Simms is the man. None of these options makes me very confident that we will win more than 6-7 games this year.

Everybody needs to come to that realization.

2. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Yup...That could be the ultimate outcome. A shit season. It would be nice, though, to identify an actual QB we can roll with so when we have the number one pick in next year's draft we don't waste it on another QB fuckin' bust and can grab Jadaveon (sp)!

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

“With us, there’s competition at the third quarterback spot, and we wanted to get Matt a lot of work,” Ryan said. “He was impressive.”

The Jets are not going to start Simms.

They don't have the brains or the balls.

The greatest quarterback the Jets ever discovered was Tom Brady.

4. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

i say start geno and keep him on an incredibly short leash - I've given up on sanchez - to me simms is the next option - playing time against first string is what he needs to be evaluated properly

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I will bet a huge amount of money that we have already identified the QB.

We all know it will be MS because "he gives us the best chance of winning." And that isn't saying very much.

Look, as Kurt has said, if our O-line does a really good job and our running game holds up and our WRs get in sync and our DEF gives us good field position and everyone stays healthy, etc., etc., MAYBE we have a shot at going someplace. Sanchez MIGHT be able to move the chains under those ideal circumstances and put points on the board and let's hope it's enough to exceed what our DEF allows the other team to score.

But it's an outside possibility when you look at the situation today. I really don't have much optimism with what I am seeing right now. Sanchez' injury isn't helping either. Any more of that, and you're going to have another Chad Pennington-like season from him with limited arm strength. If you think he throws the ideal Pick-6 now, wait until he is playing somewhat injured and tossing floaters around like airborne volley balls.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Nobody is saying "SB Here we come with Matt Simms!!!"

2. Geno needs to sit this year - that's a foregone conclusion. If he can fix up his throwing mechanics, and get the game slowed down for a bit, maybe he could get a green signal next season. [A part of me says he will be another Joey Harrington - be it a black one.]

3. With Sanchez out, the most sensible choice comes down to either McElroy or Simms, if you ask me. Throwing Geno out in 1st week is brutal and asinine. He has to [1] fix up his mechanics [2] adapt to the speed of the game and [3] play sound football. Too tall an order for a rookie, don't you think? Jets shouldn't do that to the kid. He's in worse situation than Sanchez was in. He doesn't have any safety measures to take the pressure off.

4. Probably Jets are destined for 3-13 season indeed. I don't mind that - as long as Jets show signs of improvements from the team performance. I seriously doubt if this team will in fact end up 3-13, but then the offense will look like shit more often than not.

5. My take is, Jets should take this season as a long preseason for the leap ahead. What I mean is, they must know what they have in QB stable. Sanchez is likely gone - and Geno will get a benefit of doubt for sure. As for GMac and Simms, they are not sure of yet. I would think they deserve better than 3rd roster spot, but then I don't coach the Jets. I wouldn't mind what they decide to do with the said QBs, but they had better know what they are doing. GMac will probably end up as a backup somewhere - what I am concerned with is Simms - with some good coaching, he will become something. Geno - we don't even know what we have in that kid. So if all else fails, Jets will draft QB in 1st round, and shed other three QBs.

Whatever the decision is, they should take their due time in the decision. Simms and GMac has earned that much of a right, I would like to think.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's an awfully simplistic analysis and doesn't address the human element that likely plays a part in a player getting an opportunity.

what is one of the major criticisms of Simms' performance -- it came against second tier players. if fans have that, you don't think coaches consider it as well?

add to that the fragility of the head coach position, with many not having the clout or stability to hitch their wagon to a lower drafted player and put their coaching career on the line with a player that is not only unproven, but that most people don't think is capable -- hence why they were drafted so low.

the highly touted, highly drafted QB doesn't work out -- not necessarily the coaches fault, he is just a bust. but take a chance on a player nobody thinks you should, YOU are at fault for playing him if he doesn't work.

I am not saying there are tons of NFL caliber stars that just aren't given a chance, but there are likely many that are equally as good as many QB's that are, but because of perception and coaching insecurity are never going to get the opportunity.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You might as well ask Charlie Sheen to speak at an AA meeting.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

LMAO! haha, i can't look at that avatar w/o chucklin
    good one.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The problem the Jets have is they have no quarterback. The concept of a QB competition is all about that reality. Now having said that you have to love the fact that the Jets had a QB competition between Sanchez and Smith and Simms won the competition in a runaway.

If Idzik believes the BS he has been spouting about his total belief in competition there is no doubt Simms in the starting QB on opening day. Lets see if the new mantra that it's all about competition is really what the Jets are all about. If it's about the competition Simms starts game one. If it's about blowing smoke up the fan bases butt because they recognize Smith isn't ready and Sanchez is the best option right now we can except that fact and understand that the Jets Mantra of competition is about the media and fans and doesn't actually have anything to do with the way the team is run.

11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This.

/filler

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Which is a good thing because 1-15 here we come with Matt Simms if he's what's on tap.

If Geno sits this year the odds are pretty good the Jets are spending their 1st round pick next year on a QB. Personally I'd rather see what we have for sure in Geno and if it's not that much well we've identified our backup QB and made our next QB pick all that much better in the process.

So what you're saying if: "If Geno's not ready to go then lets go with a guaranteed bad option instead." Right?

Matt Simms has one more season than Geno Smith at the NFL level and he played on the PS that season. He has about a quarter of the college experience that Geno had.

Yeah, that's going to punch our ticket. Right into the cellar.

They're certainly desitined for 3-13 or worse if they treat the QB position in an unserious manner by starting anybody who is not a real NFL prospect.

McElroy and Simms are NFL roadkill. They came into the NFL in that condition by virtue of being late draft picks/undrafted. McElroy has added to his roadkill status by being frequently injured. Simms is here because of his name and his dad's connections. Yeah he has a strong arm. It's not as strong as Ryan Leaf's was though.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

This whole Simms deal is like hypothetically having 2 students take a Calc 3 test, and another, an intro Calc class. The 2 students in Calc 3 get C's, while the student in Calc gets an A. Does that mean that the student in Calc is smarter than the other 2 just because he had success at a different, lower test? He could be, but there's no way of knowing unless he was placed in the same situation, taking the same test.

Obviously not a perfect analogy, but you get the gist. The competition was between Sanchez and Smith. Simms has been competing for the 3rd QB spot. Just because Spadola put up the 3rd most yards in the preseason, does that mean he's a better receiver than Kerley? No. I dont hear anyone here saying that Spadola should be our #1 or #2 WR. He could be in the future, but its comparing apples and oranges now IMO.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If 2 guys pass Calc 1 and flunk out of Calc 2 they are not just failures they have no potential for Calc 3. The guy who got the A in Calc 1 has something the other 2 who flunked 2 don't have, potential.

I'd rather have a good apple than a rotten orange, etc., etc., etc...

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Throw Geno out there, isn't this what the majority of fans wanted? If we suck next season, he's going to get Jimmy Clausen'd by selecting a new QB next draft.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

the problem is the Jets aren't taking one of these guys and grooming them

I'd take Simms and just groom him throughout the summer, the kid has arm talent and decent accuracy that can improve and he has the bloodline

what do we really have to lose besides games in a year that truly means nothing

17. laxin

laxin Active Member

So you are declaring Geno Smith a bust (rotten orange) after 3 quarters of preseason play?

Boy, you people give up on QBs faster than I thought. The kid hasnt even played a single meaningful NFL down (neither has Simms). He really will be fighting an uphill battle with our fans.

18. laxin

laxin Active Member

For those that want Simms to start, would your rather have Spadola be our #2 than Hill? Same concept.

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm on the Simms bandwagon, but I am also pretty sure I provided a lucid explanation why Simms shouldn't get the nod right now, and you backed my post up with the beginning of your post.

The guy hasn't had any snaps during the installation of this offense, and issued a pretty limited game plan for the past two weeks.

The QB competition has pretty much relegated Simms and McElroni to show team duties for the most part. It was reported that neither of them got much at all in terms of snaps.

Throwing Simms out there in week one with the extremely limited experience he has with MM's offense limits the playcalls they can use in week one and it limits the offense even more than they would be with Smith.

I don't think Smith is ready, and I think Simms looked a light year ahead of him.

It's not about earning the right at this point, it's about learning the offense.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Bust? No he's not ready for big time NFL football. He needs to sit. He can prove he's a bust when he can prove he isn't road kill. Right now he is road kill. Simms at least looks like he can make an athletic play and a quick decision when he's under pressure.

#300 Biggs, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013