"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hahahahahahaa... very good.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

if we try to get him on the PS I think we will lose him, another team would pick him up and try to develop him. He is in the infancy of his NFL career, he has a ton of great qualities but he's still a long way from being able to start an NFL game. I expect we will keep him on the active roster and may keep 4 QBs b/c of it.

3. scarfnation

scarfnation New Member

LOL Ive been anticipating this thread.

4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I tried to leave "daddy" out of this...but you are damned skippy right on that one.

That is one thing that cannot be simply kicked under the rug. Lets take a look shall we...line up the teams:

1) The Raiders would LOVE to have him with the mess they have.
    2) The Bills...ditto...they are down to starting a 3rd string guy who looked horrible this preseason and have brought in a loser in Leinert to compete
    3) I'm thinking the Jags would LOVE to have this guy as well
    4) The Vikings would bring him in in a heartbeat because they are just not sold on Ponder
    5) Arizona would love to have this guy compete...Carson Palmer is almost done in the league and what they have under him is nothing to write home to mom about.

Oh yes, Matt Simms has the pedigree, probably been coached by his Dad for years and just put up one of the best preseason games I've seen in the last decade or two. He won't be walking the street long and he will definitely be given the opportunity to at least compete for the starting position on another team.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, this is a costly option, but the way El Guapo gets himself banged around by holding the ball too long or trying stupid things, and then Geno getting injured (and GMac also), the best option is keeping him active. It's a roster spot but worth the gamble.

I just don't want the Bills or Miami or BB grabbing him, developing him, and then we get the shit kicked out of us again for the next decade becasue of poor personnel decisions.

6. mezzavo

What has he done for us lately? That's all I'm focused on. He hasn't won a SB or two so, in my mind, has definitely not won any form of loyalty from me.

7. mezzavo

I'm rarely as passionate about something...I've been around here for 11 years...but this is something I can get behind because of the smoking pile of shit that's been QB'ing for the last 2 years and the rookie that just isn't ready getting the nod because he won a few games in college and was drafted higher.

8. mezzavo

I do NOT condone carrying 4 active QB's. You make the decision between McElroy or Simms. You grow some stones, make the decision and stand by it. We have too many needs to carry 4 QB's. I'd rather the spot go to a Spadola or Bell etc....

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's not a rocket science that you guys make it to be.

1. Sanchez - no go.
    2. Smith - not ready
    3. GMac - hurt

That leaves Simms as the only eligible QB, no?

And many of you conveniently forget [selectively, mind you] that Geno Smith looked like a total shit against Giants 2s. Tailoring around his strength? Can't you do that with Simms too? Jesus Christ. WATCH THE FUCKING GAME.

P.S. I really didn't like Geno Smith pick - and it seems like my gut feeling was right about that pick. Jets could get a blue chip OLB prospect or a good safety prospect that could contribute come day 1. Instead, this team is stuck with Geno, who is not ready at this point.

#249 Zach, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Why can't they keep Simms and IR McElroy?

11. Section 227. Row 5

You can bet your ass that at this very moment, these other teams you've mentioned are watching the game in it's entirety and salivating.

Simms won't last 5 seconds on the open market.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's what I been saying. Or cut McElroy.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

your just naming teams without knowing their roster situation. for example the jags just claimed stanzi. they already have 4 or 5 qbs now, no way they bring in another. but yes, there is a dearth of qb on some teams so I do think he would get snatched up by a team like the bills. raiders are too stupid to give a udfa a shot.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you.

/filler

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Thats BS !!

Your blind to fact that Simms had at least 5 dropped balls thrown by him and they were long passes of at least 10-15 yards - so those game stats were skewed...

You know what's more insane to think he can start? Is the lunacy that one thinks Gino can start, also!

Watch and see what plays out during that Tampa game... from what he has shown in camp, and preseason, we're all going to be yelling for Matt Simms to come in and save the game.

16. mezzavo

Actually, I did do my work...Stanzi, are you kidding me? 3 of those 5 can be gone tomorrow and one added within the same 5 minute span. Teams will take that tape and run with it. But, you did get my point...the Raiders are smarter than you give credit for. Actually, they are lucky Al is in the ground because Simms, after that performance, is EXACTLY the kind of guy Al would have signed for 5 years and $100 million without ever trying him out! :lol:

Seriously though...it's the Bills that scare me...because they are a QB away from being on level ground and/or better than us.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'd rather see Simms start over Geno without a doubt, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets cut Simms because they always let talent walk away

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Just what the fuck...

So Simms had to throw down the field all the time to prove his worth or something? Just what the hell are you talking about, junc?

WCO thrives on mistake-free games, and it does not tolerate negative plays. Simms seems to have taken that to heart - and that's why he shouldn't play in this system? WHAT THE FUCK? Are you telling me the 3-pick performance by Geno Smith trumps this one? Or the pick-6 by Nacho is better?

If I had to tell you, during Superbowl 23, majority of Montana's throw was of exactly that kind - 0~10 yards. He sucks too, by that logic? Are you fucking nuts?

By the way, Simms didn't just dump off all game long. His ball placement was excellent - look at Campbell's 41 yard catch and run for instance. Simms didn't even have a full second to scan the field. He faked draw, looked up the field, and when he found Campbell in the window, he fired a bullet, right above his shoulder pads. Campbell caught the ball in the strides, tugged a little, then broke free.

I just don't get you, junc. Your 'logic' is too difficult for me to grasp.

You talk like Simms played with #1s. He didn't. That grocery-bagger logic holds BOTH ways.

And you keep conveniently omitting how shitty Geno looked against Giants 2s. Simms didn't. Good lord. [And I know you will either ignore this part or come up with yet another unrelated bullshit on this.]

------------------------

3rd and 7 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass short left to 9-Z.Rogers pushed ob at PHI 16 for 10 yards (22-B.Boykin).
    3rd and 19 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass short middle to 9-Z.Rogers to PHI 48 for 23 yards (35-T.Lindley).
    3rd and 9 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass incomplete short right to 85-R.Spadola.
    3rd and 10 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass incomplete short left to 88-K.Reuland.

3rd and 7 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass short left to 15-B.Obomanu to NYJ 15 for 3 yards (28-E.Wolff).
    3rd and 3 5-M.Simms pass short left to 16-M.Campbell to PHI 18 for 12 yards (35-T.Lindley)
    3rd and 21 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass short left to 85-R.Spadola to PHI 24 for 5 yards (54-J.Knott). FUMBLES (54-J.Knott), RECOVERED by PHI-43-D.Sims at PHI 21. 43-D.Sims to PHI 21 for no gain (9-Z.Rogers).
    2nd and 6 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms sacked at PHI 15 for -4 yards (57-E.Brown). FUMBLES (57-E.Brown), recovered by NYJ-88-K.Reuland at PHI 15. 88-K.Reuland to PHI 15 for no gain (80-I.Momah). [<- could have been scoring play. Would have been FG in live game]

3rd and 6 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass incomplete short right to 44-C.Pantale.
    3rd and 2 5-M.Simms pass short right to 24-K.Bell to PHI 49 for 10 yards (42-K.Coleman).
    3rd and 5 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms pass short middle to 85-R.Spadola to PHI 18 for 5 yards (28-E.Wolff).

3rd and 7 5-M.Simms scrambles right end to PHI 9 for 6 yards (30-C.Anderson; 42-K.Coleman).
    3rd and 8 (Shotgun) 5-M.Simms scrambles left end ran ob at NYJ 45 for 9 yards.
    3rd and 7 5-M.Simms pass incomplete short middle to 24-K.Bell [73-J.Kruger].

So Simms was good for 7/13 on 3rd downs, 5/11 from passing. To give you a barometer [to assess the performance] league average in 2012 is below 40%, rush and pass combined. He was good for 53%. And he didn't have the 'gimmes' all the time as you claim, junc. Your logic is full of shit.

#258 Zach, Aug 30, 2013
  19. Section 227. Row 5

I can fix that Bills situation for you real quick. Call the Bills and give them MS for a 3rd round plus owning his contract.

You kill two birds with one stone. You get rid of El Guapo and our DEF gets great pick-6 practice twice a year while kicking the shit out of Buffalo for the next 5 years. LOL

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You've got to stop injecting that argument into every aspect of the quarterback debate on this board. That line of reasoning is completely devoid of logic and has no bearing on anything we are talking about here. Simply put, bringing up things from 3 and 4 years ago isn't relevant to the discussion at hand. Nobody gives a flying fuck about what Mark Sanchez may or may not have accomplished in 2009 and 2010, respectively. We are talking about who gives us the best chance going forward. Joe Namath lead us to our only Superbowl victory in January of 1969 . . . By your logic, we should start him next Sunday, right?

I'm not stating that Matt Simms will amount to anything worth mentioning two months from now. All I'm stating is that your attempt to refute his candidacy by waxing poetic about mediocre seasons Mark Sanchez had three and four years ago is entirely misplaced.

#260 slimjasi, Aug 30, 2013