"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Good one...
    [​IMG]

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

How is this a "great example of people just looking at #s"?

You're just making shit up.

I'm pretty sure that most of us who are excited about Simms are basing it almost entirely around the eyeball test.

Are you really going to try to say that he didn't raise your eyebrows during his limited action in these Preseason games?

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Naaahhh...

We'll probably let him go and Bill Belichick will sign him. Then Brady goes down and Simms goes in and beats the tar out of us for the next 7 years.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Sounds about right for the Jets. Could easily see this being our future.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

then you have no idea what you are watching.

He impressed me but to say he should start? was this the first football game you ever watched? He impressed me to think he can be our #3 this year and maybe a backup down the road. anyone excited thinking he can start this year you may want to find a new hobby.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

After a wonderful night of sleep and coming down off my giddy high and reading the subsequent 3 pages of this thread after my last post...I'm convinced that some of you really just don't get it...from a football stand point.

I have yet to see a lucid explanation as to why Geno Smith deserves the starting nod over Matt Simms. All I keep seeing is college record this and blah blah blah that and part of the offensive installation and and and.... Let me tell you the REALITY of the situation. I can guarantee you...GUARANTEE you, based on cold hard experience that Matt Simms hasn't been a part of a series worth of snaps with the 1st team in the 1 1/2 years he has been there. I remember SECOND string QB's offering to pay the 1st String guy MONEY for a single solitary snap in practice. At no point in time has Rex Ryan, Marty M. or Sporano before him said "hey Matt...get in there and work with the 1st team so we can see what you have." EVER!!! Snaps is how you learn...

When they drafted Geno Smith and declared a QB competition between he and Nacho boy that effectively guaranteed that McElroy and Simms were DEFINITELY not getting jack. In fact, I'd lay money that those two, outside of the preseason games, haven't had time with the SECOND string guys in practice let alone the ones. That is why we keep seeing in the media about they NEED to make a decision so THAT guy can get the lions share of the snaps.

To me, this makes what we see, on the field, even more TELLING!!! When Geno Smith played in game 1...it should have looked more like what we saw from Simms in game 3. Unfortunately, it was the exact opposite. Geno looked average at best against 2nd/3rd stringers...that is until he hurt is poor foot while falling down. Fast forward two weeks, by preseason game 3 I expected to see Geno perform like what we saw from Simms in game 4. There was the safety, a couple of harrowing "almost" interceptions but there was also Simms moving the ball up and down the field. He was tentative on some throws and decisive accurate on others. There weren't always the right decisions but it was decisive. At the half he was a little discombobulated and they failed to at least get the 3 points before the half and that mistake is what I would expect from what is effectively a rookie player. Not, for example, a 5th year veteran like Nacho boy...

I don't care if Matt Simms was playing against 2nd/3rd string players!!! He was EXECUTING! Getting it done... Just IMAGINE how it could look if they put him in with the 1st teamers in practice!! I can tell you, with 99.9% certainty that they never have...so they have NO idea what it would look like. He was undrafted...slipped through the cracks...sat on the PS and learned...worked on his mechanics and accuracy and waited for the ONLY opportunity to be seen...and as luck would have it the whole world got to see it last night.

I KNOW football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For those that are so vehemently sitting here telling me that Smith has earned the right to start over Simms and can't give me any lucid football example other than his college record...you deserve to suffer in frustration.

Rex Ryan....you've got this ONE year to showcase your ability as a coach...you say you love the Jets and this is your dream job...ONE year!!! Grow some balls and give the kid a shot. Something tell me, based on MY football experience, that he won't let you down.

But.....

Personally since this is the Jets, if they do what I think they are going to do I hope someone like the Buffalo Bills pick this kid up and he beats the HELL out of us for the next decade!!!! I can guarantee you that will happen if he hits the PS again and/or is cut.

Enough said.

7. mezzavo

My god...there's no way you can declare any different based on what we've SEEN of Smith!!! This is, seriously, based one WHAT WE HAVE SEEN!!!!! Not on what you THINK he will be!!!!

The Jets fans want action now!!!! Not what you THINK will be! if we're wrong...we're wrong...Simms goes in, gets his ass kicked for two games and then you bring in Geno...no harm no foul. This year is going to be a shit storm anyway...might as well find out what we have.

8. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

I am virtually applauding you right now

9. mezzavo

Really? REALLY!!!!!! Oh lover of Nacho boy...are you shitting me? Are you really going to sit there and tell me that what you saw, a young kid...not drafted...making our two golden boys look bad battle and win a 3rd qb spot with no possibility of being a starter in this league but only a backup!?! No shit...you have the vision of Nostradamus and the football intelligence of Vince Lombardi if you pulled that shit out of your mind!

4 quarters of football and this kid is the next Frank Reich. Wooooowwwwwwwww

You know what I saw? This kid just make our TWO golden boys look like dog shit. If I was the QB coach in the meeting today I would put up on the screen in the QB meetings two nimrods jacking around on the sidelines, yucking it up and poking people in asses while the undrafted pee on was tearing up an NFL Defense...1st, 2nd or 3rd string...they are on an NFL team in preseason which is a hell of a lot farther than THOUSANDS of other football players ever make it. My coaches would have kicked my ass if I was clowning on the sidelines...EVER!!! He didn't toss any picks...he didn't run around like a scarred rabbit...he didn't hurt his poor self falling down...he didn't throw screen passes like he was still in Pop Warner...end of story!

Please, Junc, impart upon me your VAST football knowledge that drives you to believe that Smith is any better than Simms from what you saw this preseason...I implore you.

10. nyjunc

Mezz: Smith is being groomed to take over, Simms is not. Simms played ok against guys who won't be in this league, he looks like he can be a 3rd string type of QB and that's great, Smith was brought here to start. He was the one competing for the #1 job w/ Mark and if mark can't go Geno will start. It's not even an option to start Simms nor should it be.

11. nyjunc

so you enjoyed giving away 2 pts, scoring only 10 when we should have had 24-30 in the 1st half? blowing the clock at the end of the half?

He's shown he can play at this level, nothing more. It would be insane to even consider starting him next week. he's not even a lock to make this rostr and we are going to start him?

every year a backup looks good in preseason and fans want to anoint him, this is just another example. maybe down the road the can be more than a backup, he would get killed playing w/ the big boys next week. It wouldn't be fair to the team or to him to start him.

12. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I guess if your defination of comfortable is int's, pick 6's, lower completion %, lower qb rating, more fumbles...then sure sanchez was way more comfortable.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

junc, how about you dispute that he shouldn't start with an argument against his abilities or what his performance on the field reveals about his abilities, and thus why Smith is a better option at QB, rather than simply the tired ad hominem that your opponent simply doesn't grasp what they are watching. because your statements don't reveal that you grasp what you are watching either because you haven't validated your position with evidence or a reasonable argument.

defend your position, not simply depend on discrediting your opponent.

14. nyjunc

it's not worth my time, there isn't any logical reason to say he is ready to start an NFL game. Did you watch the game or get a recap on the stat sheet? every pass was a5 yd pass, they threw nothing but safe passes which was why the comp % was so high, he badly mismanaged the end of half(yes, I know Mark did 2 weeks ago too), he played against guys that won't be in this league and did nothing special.

He showed me he can play, he can be a 3rd string QB, it's insane to think he can start. he would get eaten alive. There are a million guys that can look the part, it's another thing to perform and against guys who won't be in this league who was nothing more than ok.

15. Section 227. Row 5

I think you're right. He gets picked up immediately. Let's hope the Jets are smart enough to see this and prevent it.

16. nyjunc

mark threw less INTs(w/ more attempts), more TDs, had higher comp %, and higher rating but other than that your post was spot on.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Sanchez isn't an option to start next week.

so, what has Smith shown that reveals he is such a superior choice to start next week.

what I see for the Jets is a choice between a high draft pick who hasn't looked very good and a young QB that nobody thinks much of who has looked slightly better but against lesser competition.

I agree, every year there is a back up that looks great in the preseason that fans get over-excited for, but the question is is Smith really a better option just because he was a higher pick?

I can't say that he is. between the two, it is 50/50 who would perform better based on what we have seen. so you can't say just because every year a back up looks better in the preseason than they really are that Simms has no chance of being different, and thus should not be given a chance simply because of that. and that is your argument.

18. mezzavo

Smith is being groomed to be the starter because they didn't know what they had in Simms. I have already lucidly explained that. I'd wager that he gets a look now...and if he doesn't then Rex Ryan deserves to be fired. Simms did NOT just put up your average "ooo lookey the backup had a great preseason game!" Simms just put up a preseason game for the AGES! If his receivers don't drop those 5 balls he is completing around NINETY PERCENT. That is great for PRACTICE!!!! Let alone a game of any magnitude.

Get fuckin' real. Had that been Nacho boy...firstly, we would have been down 7-0 from the pick 6 that was too hot to handle for that lb'er but thanks to Nacho boy's feather delivery would have definitely been picked...because it's what he does anyways. And we STILL would have had the botched fuck up before the half because it's what our 5th year QB does...Simms is effectively a rookie and can be forgiven. So instead of winning at the half we would have been losing. Get your feet under you buddy...I'm in a debating mood.

19. Section 227. Row 5

I agree with this, but he certainly showed he can play.

He's increased his worth by 400% IMO. And don't think for a moment that Daddy isn't saying to him, "You did real good, son. After the way you played tonight, if the Jets don't want you, I'm sure we can find another team who will... IN A HEARTBEAT!"

Idzik has to be aware of this.

20. nyjunc

he's being groomed to take over, I don't think he's ready but Simms isn't either. I think they will tailor a gameplan around Smith to give him a chance to succeed, from what I saw I feel much more comfortable w/ geno than Simms. I hope Simms is around as a backup and if this season implodes maybe he gets a shot but to put him in week 1 isn't fair to anyone including Simms b/c his career would likely end that day.

Nacho boy? really? you mean the guy who helped us get closer to the SB than we have been since 1968? and now b/c matt Simms has a good preseason he's better?