"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

My God.

There is no fucking way you can declare all of those things based on the limited amount we've seen as fans from Smith.

Going through your little list there, you are either clueless, biased, or delusional.

2. IIMeanDeanII

Simms hasn't done way more because he wasn't given a chance to do way more. Anything Simms did in preseason only helps his chances of being a 3rd string QB for this team.

Nothing more.

You as a fan only see a little bit of the big picture. I'm going to trust guys like MM and David Lee when it comes to who should be listed where on the depth chart for the QB position. Clearly they never once thought the kid had what it takes to be a starter.

They do however feel Smith has great potential to do so, that's all I need.

Bottom line is Smith HAS done way more over the course of the offseason because he and one other guy are the only ones being considered to be a starter for this team. Simms isn't one of those guys.

#202 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Simms is the only QB on our roster (not counting Harrell) that has avoided injury and not missed any practices in the preseason. That alone leaves him better prepared than Smith in week one.

I still think that Smith will start but I am hoping they will give Simms a chance instead of throwing an unprepared rookie to the wolves.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I have as good of a chance to start next Sunday as Simms does(assuming Geno and McElroy are healthy enough to play). It's not happening unless all the other QBs are hurt.

5. mute

mute Well-Known Member

just like this thread.

6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

So are you saying you have seen enough of even though limited amount of Smith to prove he is better than Simms.

Smith is the GM's pet, Sanchez is HC's, Simms never gets any reps in practice and still is better prepaired in the game.

I think if Simms had been given time with the 1st stringers we would have had another Seattle on our hands, but he was never even considered, based purely on where Sanchez and Smith were drafted and the money they are being paid.

7. IIMeanDeanII

Whhhhaaaat?????

While Smith was hurt he still practiced he just didn't play in the game. WTF?

People are really reaching at this point.

For fuck sakes, can we just stop with the nonsense. It's overwhelming at this point.

Desperation mode is in full go in this thread. Damn..

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

It would not surprise me if the Jets waived Simms, saying there were trying to get him on the PS or at this point even traded him. He is mudding up the water and taking the spotlight from the prized horse Smith.

If they do, my negative posts will go nuclear! Not that I don't already think Rex should be fired and Woody is a shitty owner. Not impressed with our new GM either!

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

You absolutely can declare those things based on the limited action we have seen of both because they are based on empirical evidence. It just means that conclusion is based on limited amount of evidence.

Whether that conclusion would remain true based on a full season's worth of evidence is unknown but that doesnt negate what we have seen so far.

10. IIMeanDeanII

Dude.

I'm saying you and I don't know the first thing when truly evaluating a QB.

My argument is based strictly around the reality of the situation. When you put all those factors together, you can easily see the Jets never gave Simms a chance a shot to do anything other then earn a third string bid at the QB position.

Idzik came from Seattle. He would understand that logic much better then any of us, just because he drafted Geno doesn't make him a lock. You are not stuck with a QB when you draft him in the 2nd round. Idzik wants to win, so does everyone else on the Jets coaching staff.

All that bullshit is purely media driven.

MM and David Lee are extremely good, especially with QB's. They, nor anyone else on the coaching staff thought Simms was a legitimate option for the starting QB job.

You see I don't have to see all these things, I trust these smart mother fuckers on the coaching staff that get paid to evaluate these QB's.

We don't have a clue about it because we are not experts on that matter and we don't get to see the entire progress throughout the offseason. They do.

11. IIMeanDeanII

You can not evaluate and declare that because it was not done under the same circumstances for each individual player. If it was an even playing field all the way around then you could absolutely gauge and compare the two.

You can't though because of circumstance.

Now if you want to declare things based around Sanchez and Geno. Go ahead, I'm not going to argue.

#211 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'd really like to see Simms make the team and be developed into this system, but let's be real here. He hasn't even been part of the installation of the offense. I doubt he has practiced more than an 8th of the playbook.

He has excellent skills and if he makes the team, I want to see the guy treated as an actual prospect.

But to expect him to start game one at this point is unrealistic.

I really don't like what I see from Smith so far, but he was actually part of the offensive installation and he will need to be thrown into the fire too early. Because limiting the entire offense to what Simms currently knows about it would be an even worse prospect at this point.

13. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i agree about geno but simms should be ahead of mcelroy. he earned it and i see more upside in simms than mcelroy. mainly bc simms has the arm strength and makes decisions a bit faster than mcelroy does back there.

(not saying hes a better decision maker, just saying he was more decisive.i dont think he has enough of a body of work to say he makes better decisions.)

14. IIMeanDeanII

Ahhhh....

He gets it. Yay!

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Whatever go to hell darksider.

McElroy will be put on the IR because he's injured leaving the 3rd QB spot open. Simms will hold that roster spot.

16. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

I totally agree with you man, and 2 years ago Rex would have been the type of coach with the stones to do just that

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No he wouldn't have, he's not that stupid.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Since your posts are usually shit, can we assume that the nuclear version of that is explosive diarrhea?

19. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Matt Simms for starter.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, you absolutely can evaluate and declare those things. if you want to qualify the differences in the scenarios that each performed under, than that qualification simply becomes part of the argument.

but the qualifications do not negate the performances.

the question becomes would Simms perform as well as he has if he faced the same situations that Smith has? or would his performance equate to the possibility that, at the least, he could perform equal to Smith if he faced the exact same circumstances as Smith?

that is simply speculation. but the idea that his performance is meaningless is absurd.