"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

Im sorry but most of you are going crazy. Simms is fighting for a roster spot at this point and very well could be cut within the next day or two. Some of you are crazy if you are actually thinking about him starting week 1.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

as you know I haven't given up on mark and he clearly won the job. Geno will get his chance at some point if/when Mark falters. of course if mark can't play next week geno has a chance to take the job and never look back.

3. NFL

NFL Active Member

It's crazy how people continuously overrate our own players.

4. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Its official, Simms is the best QB on our roster!

5. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Firstly, the kid is the best QB on the squad thus far. If it is really a competition he won it by a mile won the competition by a mile. He has the best arm and is most accurate. But here is the most important thing, this kid has 'IT'. He has the intangible energy that raises everyone's game around him. We have nothing to lose by starting him except egg on our faces if it somehow does not work out which we wouldn't get with the other two bc it is the 'excpected' move but we are going to have egg on our faces anyway bc the other two both suck. It would be a tragedy to put this kid on the practice squad, he would get snatched in a second.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

That makes sense

7. supersonic

At the beginning I was under the impression that Sanchez would be the best qb on the roster too, but how do you substantiate that he 'won' the job?

8. nyjunc

did you watch mark and geno play?

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's demonstrated the ability to stay on the field for Marty Mornhinweg despite making critical errors, handing the other team points and putting heavy pressure on his own defense.

Status quo, which means he "won" the job.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

One of the best predictors of NFL success for a college QB is the number of college start a QB has. Smith started four years. Sanchez only started 12 games or so over one season. Simms has less than a season of college starts. The odds of Simms succeeding in the NFL are ridiculoisly long. He couldn't even succeed in college. Lets not base the future of the Jets at the most important position on 7 quarters or so of preseason football.

Smith threw for 8 TDs in a game. Simms has 8 TDs and 8 picks for his college career. I know college stats can be over emphasized, but Simms has no stats. If a miracle happens, he is another Matt Cassell. The reality is he will flame out in a hurry. Lets be realistic.

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

why do you guys get all emotional after a game, a PRESEASON game 4 at that? Simms aint starting but I would agree he has played better than Geno when it comes to the backups. But no, Simms isnt starting.

12. impure

impure Well-Known Member

Looks like someone didnt actually watch the game last night.

:rolleyes:

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

There is some truth to that, it's a bit unfair though. Every players circumstances are different in college. To many variables.

Although now that I think about it, he has a hall of fame QB as his father, so you would think he was taught from one of the best.

MM and David Lee are extremely good coaches, so it's possible they re truly developing this kid.

My thing is though, it's preseason and for me this would be a non story for any other team out there.

Fans are blind in desperation right now. We all desperately want a legit QB and we deserve it but I think a lot of people are reaching extremely hard right now.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Well there are a whole lot of great future QBs unemployeed right now if the thing you look for is the number of college starts. Also there were a lot of draft busts taken in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft over the last couple decades based on that type of thinking.

15. supersonic

I did, which is why I was asking you.

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I know I did and he looked really good against players that won't be in the NFL ever again. :rolleyes:

He hasn't done anything that matters in preseason. If he was given a chance and he still had a good showing. Then lets be a little optimistic.

..but he's not good enough in the Jets eyes to have that chance and laxin is right, he is fighting for a roster spot. He should get it but that is as far as it goes.

17. nyjunc

looking at his post I would guess he did watch, if anyone watched last night and thinks Simms can start they really don't understand what they are watching(no offense).

If you watched then you know the answer, mark was much better and looked much more comfortable leading this offense. Mark would have been named the starter after last game if he didn't get hurt.

18. JetsFan

Smith hasn't done anything against anyone in preseason. What has Smith done other than being drafted way ahead of where he should have?

Simms did what he could using teammates who won't be in the NFL ever again. Don't blame the kid for what he couldn't control. He has done way more than Smith.

19. impure

impure Well-Known Member

He was also playing with players that wont be in the NFL ever again. :rolleyes:

Sanchez is hurt and Smith is not ready. Simms is probably our best chance for success.

20. JetsFan

Can anyone here say one thing Smith has done to show he is better for this team at this moment than Simms?
    Mobility= Simms>Smith
    Accuracy= Simms>Smith
    Reading Coverages= Simms>Smith
    Arm Strength= Simms>Smith
    Leadership = Simms>Smith
    Making Turnovers= Smith>Simms

I guess if you dig deep enough you can find something he is better at!