"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Tell that to Seattle....

This is a different time and space we live in. You play whomever you feel gives you the best chance to win.....IF you are smart. I keep coming BACK to this...exactly WHAT did you see from Geno Smith (we are assuming Nacho boy is hurt) that led you to believe he is going to do ANYTHING for you that Simms couldn't. Answer that and get back to me.

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be nice if Sanchez would cooperate for once in his life and stay injured for a couple extra weeks? Simms appears to be the best QB on the roster and maybe somebody will find the balls to actually give him a shot assuming Smith continues to not be ready and shits the bed.

The grain of salt is that McElroy also looked very good when he started the 4th preseason game in 2011 I believe. We all know how that turned out. Still Simms seems to have shown more tonight than McElroy ever did and I'd like to see how he stacks up against Geno at least once before they go back to their main flawed options.

3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You're missing the point.

You see it has already been deemed by the Jets through thorough evaluation during the offseason that Simms is qualified at this time to only compete for the third string position.

Russell Wilson established himself in camp to be a capable possibility for the starting job throughout camp and as we all know, he won it. He was in a competition for the starting spot because he showed the coaches throughout camp that he was qualified.

Matt Simms is not. You and I do not see every thing that goes on behind the scenes and at practice. There is a reason that he is not being considered for the starting role and that is because the other two QBs have shown more throughout the offseason.

Things have not changed. Terrible example.

What was your question? Oh, Geno..

Welp.

Geno has shown us that throughout the offseason, as a rookie, the Jets feel he has done enough to be in a starting QB position. Something that Simms can't do because he is not in the competition for reasons that we don't see.

I know that Geno can throw against a first team defense. I can see that he is capable of running a first team offense and if he eliminates those rookie mistakes I can see that he can be effective against elite competition.

You see, you can't say that about Simms because, again, he's apparently not good enough overall to even be considered a serious threat for the starting job.

Simms looked awful to start that opening drive tonight against 2nd and 3rd string players.

Now let me ask you a question.

What tells you that Simms would be effective against a first team defense?

Considering he hasn't done well enough throughout camp to get that shot to show you if he can or not.

So what do you see that the Jets don't?

#163 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  4. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

From what I've seen its Simms > Geno > Mcelory > Dog shit > Sanchez

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

And we all know how wonderful the Jets are at evaluating talent.

They're even better at developing quarterbacks.

For now, Simms is probably better off at 3rd string. They'll get to him as soon as they finish fucking up Smith's career.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I would've made that argument in the past as well but I am very high on both MM and David Lee. Both of those guys have excellent resumes and they have a strong track record with developing and evaluating QBs.

I think those two alone at the end of the year will be the best offseason moves the Jets made.

Smith is in a much better situation then Nacho ever was coming out of college.

Sanchez was very unlucky in that aspect, but then again, he should've listened to his coach and stayed in college another year and e wouldn't be in this situation. Neither would we.

7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets have to see what they have in Geno and that is why he has been playing and is in the competition for the starting job. It's not necessarily because the team believes he is good enough to start. It's just an evaluation process. They hope he is starter material, but they don't know.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I haven't even paid an ounce of attention to the media. Geno Smith is clearly not ready to start in the NFL.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

After that performance, Simms deserves consideration for the starting job at LEAST. He is the only competent QB we have in this competition and he outperformed the other two not considering talent level around them. I think Simms is our Russell Wilson, tbh

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Our GM said that he wanted competition at the GM position. Now that he has it will he give the job to the apparent winner (Sims) or just hand the job to Smith?

11. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Listen guys, geno smith would be safer if he sat on the bench along with sanchez.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

He looked confident while throwing screens. Sanchez makes the screen look like a 3 stooges bit every time. I could see Simms being 3rd string over McElroy. 2nd string until the Big Apple Turnover is healthy.

13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow....

the jets should not let simms hit the street......

there is something there, no doubt, and it needs to be tutored. he threw some darts last night that were absolutely perfect throws. that is not out of luck or desperation.

i am sure there are a few teams, coaches, QB gurus around the league that are following this situation and now they have a few preseason quarters on tape of simms - u can bet a couple of them are licking their chops.

the sacks, the safety - doesn't matter at this point. his reads and line recognitions can/will improve with proper coaching and experience. the arm and accuracy is there - and that cannot be taught.

trouble is do any of us have confidence in the jets handling of simms going forward??

#173 jilozzo, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. jilozzo

u are right - some of the basic NFL throws still look like a cluster fuck with sanchez - that just shoudn't be at this point. thats been my biggest beef with him.

15. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

This is a great example of people just looking at #s. First, I like what I see of Simms but everywhere I read this morning he was "great", did anyone actually watch the game? takes a safety, multiple TOs, let's half run out, we should have scored about 24 in the 1st half and ended up w/ 10, as it was w/ all the opportunities we had we only scored 20 on O.

I really like him, I think he's earned a spot on this team but let's not get carried away please.

16. jilozzo

agree but the awareness factor with regard to sacks, turnovers, etc - that can be corrected to a point with the right coach/system.

its the arm and precision - things that u either have or don't - that cannot be taught and should be his foundation going forward.

17. nyjunc

I am not being negative, he showed us a lot. I think he proved he deserves a roster spot and can eventually be a good backup. To expect anything more is a little crazy at this point. He was ok last night, nothing more against guys who will mostly be out of a job today.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

He started with a 2nd team OL - not a fair evaluation - let's give him a pass on that and see what he does with the 1st team.....I have a feeling he'll be given that opportunity if & when Geno or Mark flounders.....if the Jets have the intelligence enough to have him as a 3rd stringer....

I don't trust their QB talent evaluation - any reason to up to this point?

19. nyjunc

the only way he ever plays in a reg season game is IF mark, geno and Greg are hurt or if we are blowing out or being blown out in a game.

as he continues to develop maybe he will be ready down the road to play w/ the big boys but he's nowhere near ready now.

20. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

He's really a rookie, he will learn from his mistakes...but I will respectfully disagree with you Junc, the future is Geno Smith, then he should start...just my opinion