"Official" Start Matt Simms thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 29, 2013.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The fact that Simms has had more work than Smith and has looked sensational compared to him -- if Rex wants to be truly Ballsy he says Simms is the guy we open with is Mark can't go. Smith is not ready.

2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I find it kind of counter productive when people say "Oh, well it was just second/third stringers on defense." Seriously, if the guy plays well against the second/third team D and people are just gonna write off the performance because it was against 2nd string players how is he supposed to move up? Is he destined to spend his whole career destroying 2nd and 3rd team defenses because people don't want to give him a shot because after all "he is only playing against 2nd and 3rd string players."

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Man that really pisses me off...this is why this writer is getting the shit kicked out of him all the time.

Nice guy? NICE GUY? Even if McElroy is the better player...nice guy? Thats the writers pat on the back after Simms last 2 games?

4. jesterjetman

jesterjetman Active Member

I think its safe to say we are all in the same boat here: zero expectations, no real allegiance to smith, anyone but sanchez....the level of not giving a f*#k is at an all time high. Simms throws the ball hard. he throws it fast. If simms goes in there and throws 8 interceptions for -532 yards, I'll be glad they at least gave it a shot. We are such a joke of a franchise that the fear of starting simms due to some miscues is so laughable. start the kid. he crashes and burns. wooptydoo. He's what we think he could be. hooray.

#104 jesterjetman, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. jaywayne12

Exactly..and if he played with a first string offensive line protecting him...or first string receivers who could take some of those passes home.

Its nonsense at that position..nonsense.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You just summed it up...let's see if Ryan still has the stones to stand up for his players or if he must bow down to Idzik...then again, Idzik does come from Seattle...I was and am still hoping he believes in this "competition" mantra. If that's the case we will see Matt Simms start week 1, pending the health of Nacho. And...to be quite honest...even is Nacho is healthy I might give the nod to Simms. Period. I do NOT care what "stringers" he was playing against! He executed...nearly perfectly...the game plan that was provided to him...against the competition that showed up on the field. Enough said.

Dare I say how GOOD he COULD have been had he not had his ass handed to him SEVEN times by the backup o-line!! On one sack he was hit 2.4 seconds after the snap. Give him the line and first team WR's and dare I say he will not only be successful but more than likely, from what I saw OUTPERFORM the other two.

7. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

Look, this sounds too crazy, but if Sanchez can go, by default he is the starter. But, he's going to be on a short leash anyway. There's nothing I have seen from the rest of the QBs who got some playing time that tells me Simms shouldn't get the nod over Smith. The offense played good football. Screw whatever string was out there. There was some crisp ball being played. If Sanchez can't go, Simms has to start. But, politics will say otherwise. Ultimately, whoever starts, just get the wins.

8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

If we do release Simms, I will be cursing Rex until the day he is fired! Well, and even after he is long gone...

Kotite really sucked as a coach, but the one thing he did right was give an undrafted FA player a shot and start him, and it turned out great. Make Simms the next Chrebet.

9. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

I'm sorry but who the f*** is this guy!?

Someone shut his ass up!

10. mezzavo

You're confusing Matt with Chris Simms...his older brother...who from what I can see didn't have the talent of the younger, Matt Simms.

Matt...this is his 2nd year in the league after being on our PS last year.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

So uh I see why Rex gets all this hate from everyone, he's GM too :lol: Let's blame everything on him!

12. jaywayne12

and how funny is it that manning started for the Giants tonight. We are so paranoid that if Sanchez cant go, we dont even start Smith, who some around here want to start. Coughlin sees that Giant offense has sucked so he gives his ones a series and we dont even start the guy who would start if Sanchez cant start.

As far as the 3rd string arugment and if the Jets were to go with McElroy, I believe there are 31 teams that would want him to be their 3rd string qb.

13. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

How awesome would it be to hear Simms to Spedola for a TD all season?

14. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

And don't forget the pats/brady, when Bledsoe came back from injury there were more fans who wanted him to start over brady.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Was it me or as the game went on, MM became more comfortable with Simms and let the kid play. The result? The Kid played his ass off tonite and really put both Sanchez AND Smith on notice that they had better step up their game or their collectives asses will be on the bench with a clipboard.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Simms is 99% unlikely to be able to replicate that performance in a regular season game against a competent pass defense.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

You have to be kidding.

Head coaches have a ton of input on who stays and who goes.

Ultimately the GM makes the call but aside from the Revis trade most personnel decisions have Rex's hands all over them.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If he is like his Dad he can only do it during Superbowls.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Perhaps the Giants did for us what we did for the Patriots many years ago..

On a sidenote, there is absolutely NO WAY the Jets put Simms on the PS. There would be a fan revolt unparalled in NFL history if that happens.

20. mezzavo

You know...I would PAY to be in the QB room if Marty rolled in and said, "Kid (Simms) you get the rock against Tampa."

The little playful shit eating grins I saw on the sidelines today would be wiped off. In FACT, if I were head coach...neither of those two idiots would have horse playing on the sideline! WHY Geno and Nacho weren't on Marty's hip the whole game is beside me. They both could use as much instruction as possible.