The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets would be fine with Geno if they EXCLUSIVELY operate in shotgun formation, regardless of run or pass.

That's a no-no in my book. His drop back from under the center is really a disaster. I don't see how you missed that.

Compare his drop back mechanics with that of Russell Wilson in his rookie year: The difference literally is night and day. Really.

#2401 Zach, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

lol now the fault of sanchez poor plays qb wise in past is fault of offensive co? sanchez shouldt even be on the roster. Give the young man an oportunity to fail or to conquer the spot.

3. lamont_jordan_rules

i wouldn't think the below aspects of the WCO would be good for Sanchez:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_offense

Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense differs from traditional offense by emphasizing a short, horizontal passing attack to help stretch out the defense

Another aspect that makes the West Coast offense one of the most difficult to master is that it requires a deeper connection between quarterback and receiver, and an ability to communicate mid-play. On any given route, a receiver has as many as three options; a hitch, a slant and a fly, depending on what the defense is showing. The quarterback is responsible for recognizing the defense and the reaction of the receiver to it and adjusting the route if needed.

The West Coast offense requires a quarterback who throws extremely accurately, and often blindly, very close to opposing players. In addition, it requires the quarterback to be able to quickly pick the best one of five receivers to throw to, certainly much more quickly than in previously used systems.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

It's one of those talking out of both sides of their mouth things that the Sanchez apologists do. They will praise Sanchez for bringing us to back to back AFC championship games and then blame every mistake he's ever made on the fact that he's never had a good OC during his entire career. You get used to it.

5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

could Sanchez magically change? yeah, but after 4 full seasons as a starter the number of QB's who suddenly got better is about as short Olympic Triathlon from Luxemburg. The thing about Sanchez is he's been consistently bad all through his career. He's had spikes in stats yes, but never in the same year. Guys who throw 18+picks in 3 out of 4 years and put the ball on the ground 10+ times 3 out of 4 years (and 9 on the other year) almost never change their stripes.

6. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

not even christian ponder have more ints then tds and the dude is awfull

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

great post, this is what i have been most concerned about with geno this preseason. the question is how long will it take him to really get the footwork perfect.

8. Tom

Tom Member

Smith vs NYG - 16/30 199yards 1td 3ints .........45.7 rating

Sanchez vs SF - 13/29 103yards 0td 1int ........39.9 rating
    Sanchez vs Sea - 9/22 124yards 0td 1int .........40.7 rating
    Sanchez vs Ariz - 10/21 97yards 0td 3int .........21.4 rating
    Sanchez vs Ten - 13/28 131yards 1td 4int .......32.6 rating

He averaged less than 1td per game and over 1int per game and was barely over 50% in 2012

#2408 Tom, Aug 28, 2013
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

If this was a true competition(which I am not sure it was) which QB performed better this camp and the answer is clearly Mark.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am hearing Geno Smith won't play tomorrow. What? He is a rookie. He needs reps. You will throw Sanchez in vs. 3's yet won't let Geno get reps? The coaching decisions on this team are mind-blowing. Don't say "well, they can't risk injury." cause they didn't mind doing it on Saturday.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

where does it say that?

12. deerow84

I tend to agree that he should have got at least three or four drives. Doesn't have to be anything risky or crazy, even if it's just some slants and comeback routes with a lot of run game...anything to get him some snaps in somewhat of a real game scenario.

This could indicate that Sanchez might not be ready for week one and they want to keep Geno out to avoid him getting injured and having to start week one with Simms but I don't think a few simple drives with our better backups and maybe a starter or two for protection would be the end of the world.

13. deerow84

Edit: Wrong thread

#2413 deerow84, Aug 28, 2013
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is what I am saying. Nothing crazy. Just 2 drives. Get some reps. 66% of the plays can be runs.

15. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Well if you play Geno, that means the 1st team offense HAS TO be with him and both Geno and the 1st team offense played in the 4th quarter so I think the thinking is they rest them all since they did get a lot of reps/time together vs the Giants.

I agree, I would like to see him get 1 drive on Thursday with the 1st team offense but I understand the thinking here too.

16. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if it's risky or not. Remember this?

[​IMG]

The problem is if Geno gets hurt we're starting Simms or some scrub off the street. Imagine if Geno gets hurt and Simms manages to twist an ankle or something stupid? We could be looking at Graham Harrell starting week 1.

For all the bullshit about Geno being a disaster, he's completed nearly 60% of his passes this preseason and I'm fairly confident that if they craft a gameplan around Geno's strengths he can at the very least play as well as Sanchez has for us.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I already gave you that prescription. Jets offense MUST operate from shotgun exclusively for that to happen. It's not like Jets have a dynamic rushing threat that can recognize opening holes in a split second and cut back with ease. Good luck with that. Ain't happening in my book.

18. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

no reason to play geno at all this week

he doesnt look ready to start a whole season, but hes clearly our second best option, unless simms comes in and lights it up. either way, the qb situation isnt as dire as most are making it out to be. graham harrell is here because we need to have healthy guys to play qb if it happens, i wouldnt expect him to make it into the reg season unless he comes out on fire and lights the place up.

if geno has to start the reg season marty will most likely avoid things that geno has trouble with and make the game as simple as possible. i remember last season how hard marty and andy were working trying to get things going with foles by the end of the season just to prove their worth. i dont know if i see any real reason to bet on foles over simms, so, im not too worried about it. its a concern, but i think the biggest concern is the rb. ivory is hopefully just taking it easy for the preseason since hes got a spot locked up, but if he isnt, i hope he can figure out this system cause he hasnt looked too good. powell looks awesome, and i like that kid bell, but i think we need to see more from that position

19. Organized Chaos

20 of Geno's pass attempts came from the shotgun last week.

20. Organized Chaos

It would be interesting if Simms comes in, the 1's play a quarter and he's amazing...