The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yes, a ridiculously stupid play. That's the type of shit we've become accustomed to with sanchez. Luckily geno was a rookie in his first preseason start and not a 5th year pro.

It certainly doesn't help give me any confidence in him though.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Looking better than other rookies shitting in his pants or better than Sanchez doesn't qualify as a confidence boosting logic, am I right?

2. Sanchez in his rookie year didn't look half nearly as bad as this. And he had Schottenheimer as the OC that year.

3. So... does that mean Geno picked up Sanchezitis DURING THE MINICAMP AND PRESEASON!? WHAT THE FUCK!?

#2362 Zach, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

More like orlovskiitis

4. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

lets all relax on geno and not be all hyper critical of him after his first nfl game. he made some mistakes, he did some good things. looked like a rookie qb.

5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Exactly, this is what preseason is about. Evaluating and developing talent. I think he'll be fine. He did some good things.

6. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

yeah his dropback makes me cringe

7. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well he's basically a running back, right?

8. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

What was the good?

I hope the kid can develop but he has to learn how to play in an NFL system without two WR that were drafted ahead of him this year. He lost 5 straight in college last season after beating up on a cupcake schedule.

He has a lot to learn -- he is the kind of guy you would want to sit behind someone else and learn for part or all of the season. Problem is if the Jets play bad enough they will draft one of the top tier QBs next season which would relegate smith the a backup role.

If you let him start and he loses 4 straight in ugly fashion the fans revolt and now you are stuck. You start Sanchez the first month and you have fans call for smith. If smith struggles no one can bitch about it, but going the other way is a hard sell to the veterans on the team.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

okay 1. only austin was picked above him, and 2. the denfese was far more responsible for those losses than smith, they lost 49-50 one time for crying out loud.

and the veterans will go with what they are told, more supporting the rookie than not.

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It's fucking preseason.. So many people are spoiled with the crazy amount of rookie QB's that have come into the league and has played amazing. It's a silly number and it is rare.

It is not the end of the world if he has one bad preseason game, seriously, what do you expect for him to do? Is he supposed to be of Peyton Manning's caliber coming right out of college?

Peyton Manning (One of the best to ever play his position) played like shit his rookie year too, it happens.

11. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm shocked at the amount of Geno bashing I've seen in the media. How in one game we're able to determine that he's not ready and Sanchez is the clear starter.

Yes, Geno had 3 picks. But I also saw a bunch of pretty good throws too. Not that anyone wants to talk about those. He's a lot more accurate and has more zip than Sanchez ever had.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'm not settling

13. since83

since83 Member

How many QB's were picked in the first round? people keep talking about why he dropped to the second round. NO TEAM BUT THE BILLS DRAFTED QB. Geno did not drop because of TALENT. No team was going to pay first round money with the plethora of VETERAN QB's available during free agency. People want to know what makes Geno better than Mark Sanchez? LOOK AT GENO'S BODY OF WORK. He has more coachable experience than MS. Sanchez's 5 years of NFL experience is comparable to Geno's 4 years of NCAA experience. Geno has the smarts to absorb the coaching and get better, Sanchez has proven he can not be coached by 5 years of the same excuses and lack of development.

14. aboss4real7

aboss4real7 Banned

Geno will evolve to a Top 8 QB And thats a promise

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

My dad also said he'd never leave my mom

16. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Not like top 9 or 7??? If he isn't top 7 he is a Busssttt.

17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Geno's body of work??? What work? Pre season bcuzI know your not talking abt college. College vs NFL, That's comparing apples to oranges.

Did Geno ever have a game like this last year?

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is an impossible comparison to make though. In order to get a real comparison you'd need to look at what Geno did in his first scrimmages at WVU when he was a 19 year old kid competing against guys who had been at WVU for 3 and 4 years and knew the ropes.

The other thing that's really important to remember is that he played in 3 different offenses at WVU. There was no Air Raid there his freshman and sophomore seasons and he had a pretty good sophomore season playing both under center and in the gun.

He's going to need time to make the adjustments to the pro game and if we're lucky he can do that. If he can't? Well then he's just another second round backup QB in the NFL. There are a lot of those guys. Most of them in fact.

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Andrew Luck threw for 1 TD and 3 INT in his first game against the Bears with a 51.1% completion rate.... Relax.

20. BleedingGangGreen

I've always pulled for Sanchez and will always believe in his overall ability. The kid can make all the throws. He's performed during the playoffs. He's had come from behind victories. It's just the mental aspect of the game in which I now question.

But with all that said it's extremely hypocritical for any Sanchez supporter to talk down on Geno's first ever start during a preseason game against the Giants due to, three interceptions thrown. Very hypocritical.

The last time I checked Sanchez had games during his rookie season consisting of 3 INT's @ New Orleans. 3 INT's vs. Atlanta. 4 INT's @ New England and 5 INT's vs. Buffalo. Even as a 4th year starter last year Sanchez threw 3 INT's vs. Arizona and another 4 INT's vs. @ Tennessee. The same fans calling for Geno's head due to three preseason INT's are the same fans who refuse to talk about the above when in regards to Sanchez himself.

But yet we're now seeing (some) Jet fans harping all over Geno Smith due to 3 INT's during a preseason game in order to promote Sanchez as a starter? It's hypocritical. Only time will tell but unlike Mark Sanchez, maybe Geno Smith is the type of kid who can learn from his mistakes moving forward. Because we all know that Sanchez as a 3rd and 4th year quarterback has combined for more turnovers when compared to any other NFL quarterback over the previous two seasons. Sanchez has thrown 36 INT's along with 24 fumbles over the previous two seasons. Those were with Sanchez being a 3rd and 4th year quarterback as well. Hell he's even thrown 2 INT's here in the preseason (one in which was a pick-6) along with a fumble last week. He's turned the ball over each and every preseason game thus far. So much for learning from previous mistakes and/or protecting the football.

It's just a little mind boggling how we're seeing fans harp all over Geno Smith throwing 3 preseason INT's during his first ever (non-official) start in order to talk up Sanchez and/or promote Sanchez. A quarterback who's never once learned from his previous mental mistakes now heading into his 5th season. Only time will tell if Geno's the type of kid who has the mental ability to learn from his mistakes but one thing is for certain, Sanchez never has. Throwing 36 INT's along with 24 fumbles over the previous two seasons doesn't lie. Sanchez wasn't a rookie during our previous two seasons either. He was a 3rd and 4th year NFL starter.

#2380 BleedingGangGreen, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013