Simms any chance of starting??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joeyd223, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

I really have a good feeling about Matt Simms and feel confident when he's behind center. I normally wouldn't stick my neck out for a guy when his body of work is so minimal but he's something special. Sometimes the Jets are blind to the obvious or let players go pre-maturely. Realalisticly, does Simms have any chance of starting week 1?? (Aside from Geno and Sanchez being injured) Now I know some of you will state the fact that im all excited with no real evidence to back up such and I understand that.

2. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think it may take (god forbid) an injury to Geno. That is the only logically way Simms would start. The Jets have more invested in Geno than they do Simms. So it makes sense to see what they have in him.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Barring injuries, not a chance.

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

looking good on some plays in preseason vs 3rd stringers makes you special? LOL.

I actually would like to see him to play more but let's not get our hopes up ok.

#4 74, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Simms chances of starting are just slightly better than my chances of starting for the Jets....

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'll go buy megamillion ticket and powerball ticket. I'd think my chance of hitting jackpot on both are higher than Simms OR GMac becoming the starter anyway.

7. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

He at least has a shot of making the team now that Geno is showing he's got Sanchezitis and Sanchez got hurt.

I like his confidence

8. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

Absolutely he has a shot. I think if Sanchez is down and out for any length of time then he has a better than average shot. Especially, if next week, GeeSmith shits the bed in the Philly game.

Go back and watch the game...Geno just doesn't look like he wants to be in there. He looks worse than not comfortable and his pocket presence blows. Mechanics are all over the place etc.... I don't know...GeeSmith just doesn't have the "it" factor right now...you can literally FEEL "it." Whereas both Simms and GMac have that "it" feel...especially Simms. From what little we've seen of course.

9. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

agreed. besides, they are not going to the playoffs/ super bowl anyways.

so, might as well play mcelroy and/or sims until geno is ready.

el taco will be gone next year anyways, maybe along with tone and harris.

all three grossly over paid thanks to the bean counter.:sad:

10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If Geno struggles again then they should start McElroy.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt bet on him not starting and surely would have much less of a chance of hitting the lottery.

If Sanchez is hurt...and Geno is the starter..and Gino plays they way he has played so far...and you want to just win as much as you can until you are playoff out...I wouldnt be surprised at all to see him playing..not one bit.

12. jaywayne12

Thanks Mezz...I really thought it was me. Geno is so far away from being NFL ready..its incredible.

Lets be honest here...really honest. Your name is Rex Ryan and you are coaching for your life here. Sanchez just fumbled again..then go hurt. Geno just played the most uninspiring emotionless 3 quarters of football I have ever seen from a rookie. For a second game, this hot shot kid with the arm of closer throws a touchdown that not any qb on this roster could even dream of delivering.

Is there any person out there that really believes tonite..when rex puts his head on the pillow..that this thought does not cross him mind.

If Sanchez is hurt..and Geno is the starter next week..final preseason game...Rex will be chomping at the bit to put Simms in there one more time to watch him throw bullets.

13. jaywayne12

It was a Jet/Giant preseason game when this little kid named Victor Cruz had a head turning game and everyone brushed it off as just that..preseason.

And most of the time thats true..except when you watched it..like watching Cherbet in his rookie year preseason...there were a few plays that just seemed a bit special. Not like David Cloowney? spelling.

Simms might just be a gunslinger out of his mind qb that cant win in the NFL but anyone that just brushes aside some of the throws he has made in the past few games....im not sure you can do that.

If your starters name was brady..or manning...or manning etc...you can stick that kid at number 3 and move on.

Aint the case with the Jets thats for sure.

14. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

We will see lots of Simms in Preseason Game 4, I think.

I think Simms is edging past McElroy but they are probably going to go into the season with 4 QBs on the roster if Sanchez is out for any significant length of time, which seems almost certain. They could find a WCO free agent QB, but obviously nobody with a good track record is available or they'd be on a team.

Realistically, our free agent choices are: Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Charlie Batch, and Byron Leftwich. If we pick Jamarcus Russell I would projectile vomit. Batch is probably too old to be able to play that many games and not get injured.

If we bring in a vet, he probably gets to start just on the basis of experience, although that does then make the competition irrelevant and Smith will feel very slighted.

But assuming that we don't bring in a vet, a lot will depend on what happens in Week 4. They might announce that in the name of competition McElroy and Simms will be considered for the starting role- or they might just hand it to Smith, but that would be hard to do given his turnovers. I think they'll want to see more from Simms, and if he plays well, and Smith plays poorly, I think it's possible he could go from "guy who was going to get cut" to "starting QB".

Part of me roots for him because- given his dad's success, maybe he has more potential than people give him credit for. He was making some great plays - that deep throw while on the move after avoiding a safety was very impressive. He has enormous energy and seems like a natural leader - I may be unrealistically optimistic but I could imagine him being very good.

15. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

You got that right! Beggars can't be choosers right now. And, to be honest...it happens more than you would think. In fact you can see it every preseason...

He's gone...he just made Green Bay's roster backing up Rodgers.

16. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

Oh, darn- yeah VY is gone. I mean, not that he was amazing, but two pro bowls so he would have been worth considering if Green Bay hadn't signed him.

I don't know if we'd be okay going in with Smith, Simms, and GMac healthy, and an injured Sanchez, but the danger of doing that is that we could have some horrific troubles. GMac had the 11 sack game. Geno has shown possibilities of being turnover-prone.

That just leaves Simms. Simms has gotten the least reps of anyone, and had the least college success of any QB on the roster. And yet... I have a really good feeling about him. I think he's definitely earned a place in the conversation over who should start, at least in the short term.

17. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

+1 I really like the way Simms is playing. For those that are arguing that Simms is looking good against 2nd and 3rd stringers keep in mind that Smith and Sanchez don't look as good playing against the same players.

I really hope we can keep 4 QB's on the roster. We aren't going to cut smith or sanchez and I honestly think mac and simms are better for us down the road. And yes, I would start having simms practice with the first team offense this week and let us see what he can do starting the 4th pre season game. We have NOTHING to lose at this point.

18. Joeyd223

Joeyd223 New Member

Agreed.. I honestly believe that if we were to have any far shot of making the playoffs, it would be with Simms behind center. Now im not saying that because Simms could be so darn good, rather by looking at the other Qb's on our roster who don't have much to offer. Sanchez has proven that he can manage games and make a few big throws when needed but that was years ago, I know Sanchez has the ability to take a team to the playoffs but I just think his best years are possibly behind him.

19. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Yes, he has a chance, about 0.01% chance.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It seems like there's always some preseason hero QB who beats up on scrubs. I'm not buying Simms stock yet but that pass he threw across his body while scrambling to the right was a GREAT throw that not many QB's can make. I'd say most NFL QB's cannot make that throw right now.