Why are our choices between Sanchez and Geno?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by talisaynon, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DanR

DanR Active Member

Fair enough. I'm just not gonna wait for Geno like I waited for Sanchez.

2. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Sanchez 2.0 does not deserve 2 or 3 seasons to fail. Jets organization requires fumigation. There are some fans who have been rooting for 40 years who do not want to wait for a chance to win another super bowl in what is left of our lifetime.

3. jetsillinifan

jetsillinifan Well-Known Member

start simms and tank

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno is a rookie. I don't mind his struggles, at least you know there is no way to go but up.

5. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Unfortunately newer Jets fans except failure far too easily. Same old Jets making a comeback.

6. milo

milo Well-Known Member

We can probably have Tebow by Saturday.

7. lakersmetsjets49ers

My only desire out of him is that he shows development and improvement over the course of the season. If by week 17 he's made strides from when he gets his over the course of the season then I'm content. I expect him to have some inevitable struggles but I'm also pulling for him to learn from them and show progress.

2nd round picks and lower have been the answer for teams in the past. They have a shorter leash then a top 10 pick would though.

I think everyone on this board would agree that the jets need to learn from their past mishandling of some of their qb's and put geno or whoever in the best possible shot to achieve and develop.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What makes you think Kyle Orton, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Shaun Hill or Drew Stanton would be any better?

Kirk Cousins would cost the Jets at least a 3rd round pick at this point. Nick Foles would cost the Jets at least a 2nd round pick at this point.

It is a horrible competition to watch but that's mainly because one of the guys in it is already toasty and the other guy is very wet behind the ears. Adding another toasty QB like Orton, Fitzpatrick, Hill or Stanton isn't going to help us much. The other options are expensive.

What I think the Jets should probably do is bite the bullet on Geno Smith and really go all-in on him. All the reps, all the attention the organization can muster and a heck of a lot of teaching from right now until the Jets decide that he is good enough to be the guy or Jimmy Clausen leading them into Teddy Bridgewater next season like Clausen led the Panthers to Cam Newton.

The problems that Geno is having out there are all correctable. They're just not going to get corrected for sure unless the Jets are sitting on him full time on things like footwork, reads, managing pressure, etc. Geno appears to be a candidate who isn't benefiting from split attention at this point.

I watched his first three drives tonight and by the third drive he was hopping around in the pocket as he set to throw. Later on he was obviously locking in on his first read and that led directly to the Akumara interception.

9. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

^Tempered response^

acknowledges that these things take time and that a mixed preseason game for a rookie is not a sign to abandon ship with a prospect while also acknowledging that a year is a good amount of time for evaluation due to the low stake in the player.

I apologize for calling you out, you make sense.

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Geno is a 2nd round backup QB, he doesn't get anywhere near the level of patience a top 5 first rounder does. He has maybe three more games like tonight and he'll never play in the NFL again. Sucks being a 2nd rounder, but it is what it is.

You fools in here act like he has years to prove himself, he doesn't, he has several games, especially if Sanchez starts.

11. TonyMaC

thats my thinking too, both have their issues might as well work on the one you believe can be your future.

Geno has that "i'm a rookie" excuse for now.

I'm perfectly willing to go with him, he wasn't all bad today and and can learn from the mistakes he's made.

Patience for Sanchez is done. Smith can afford it though.

12. lakersmetsjets49ers

No hard feelings man.

This is going to be a 2-3 year rebuilding project as a whole imo. I'm willing to wait it out if the progress is shown. Idzik inherited a trainwreck and getting of the dead weight isn't going to happen overnight. That said, I'm optimistic about this season for whatever reason.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Geno probably doesn't get the same amount of time as Sanchez. But he should get at least a few games to get adjusted to the pro game.

14. Br4d

I don't think people are being foolish for suggesting that Geno is not ready to go and maybe should sit for awhile. But you're absolutely right that if he sits for most of this season he's just going to be in the mix next year and not in the top part of it either.

15. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Boyd, Murray, Bridgewater, Morris, Manziel.....off the top of my head.

All better players than Geno for certain. In today's NFL for Geno not to be able to win a starting job from the worst QB in football is simply confirmation of what anyone who follows the sports outside of the Jets already knew.

16. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

Speaking of our situation, does anyone think McElroy will be the odd man out? Been seeing a lot of Simms lately.

17. Br4d

It's a really unusual situation. It's not often that you get a failed veteran QB competing with a raw rookie for a starting job in OTA's and camp. It's not often that both are learning a new system while they compete, and splitting the organization's resources in the process.

It's more often the case lately that the rookie was primed heavily from the first OTA to start and got most of the organization's attention along the way.

When a vet is competing with the rookie with the expectation that the job is the vets he usually is a competent journeyman playing in a system he understands and the rookie is on a much slower timetable that is looking at the second season as the launch date.

Kitna, Palmer and Warner, Manning are more the norm in a split situation like the one the Jets have. The problem is that Jon Kitna and Kurt Warner quality QB's were not available last off-season and even if they had been Mark Sanchez's contract would have prevented the Jets from signing one of them.

We'd be in a different place right now if Garrard had been good to go, since he is exactly the level of QB, in a WCO, that Kitna was in an Air Coryell. He was what was affordable for the Jets and he broke. That's bad breaks.

18. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Simms was terrible in college, however he has a gun, we all saw McElroy can't play in the NFL last year. It would make sense to keep Simms at this point, McElroy has no upside.

19. TonyMaC

HA!

one bad year and that all goes away, there are no guarantees, Tyler wilson was a top candidate after 2011 and look where he is now.

So a rookie didn't play mistake free, does that mean he'll never get better? like everybody is saying he'll be on short leash anyway, give him a bit more time to improve I promise it won't be sanchez length.

the only way its a chore is if he's not developing which is whats most important.

god people have gone absolutely insane...

20. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

He's gotta step up big next week.