Why are our choices between Sanchez and Geno?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by talisaynon, Aug 24, 2013.

1. lakersmetsjets49ers

Sanchez is not the answer obviously and from the looks of it geno isn't either and he's just a 2nd round pick so there's no real long term investment or commitment in him either.

I doubt cousins would be had for that cheap considering rg3's injury history.

However seeing Sanchez suck and not really expecting much out of Geno, from the Sanchez era ill say he played a big role in him sucking.

But when this team hasn't had consistent year in/year out qb play for ages perhaps more blame needs to be placed on the organization. The offensive talent on this team is minimal and while a new guy will bring hope strictly because its not sanchez, that hope is short lives if the new guy aka another teams backup struggles. The team needs to look at how they draft and develop qb's look at past mistakes, past failures and look at what went wrong and how they can change those past failures.

The team is probably going to suck this year, have a high draft pick, new coach, and most likely a high first round draft pick qb. With that is a chance to learn from the past blunders. Will they learn, that I'm not to certian of though.

2. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Clowney or Bridgewater at this point?

3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Typical ignorant Jets fan overreaction to a preseason game by a rookie still adjusting to the pro game. If you don't realize by now that the Jets are in a multi-year rebuilding mode, you are hopeless. Smith deserves 2-3 seasons before a decision is made on his ability. Show some football IQ.

I guess the Giants better be doing the same thing because Manning has been putrid this entire preseason.

4. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I'm desperate for a QB, but you just can't pass on Clowney.

5. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

I know exactly how ya feel.

6. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

a rookie isn't great in a preseason game, lets give up on him!

brilliant.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

The Jets are not the worst team in the NFL. The Jets are not going 0-16. Please stop this nonsense.

8. DanR

DanR Active Member

Whats Geno's upside???

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

So I guess the great preseason Sanchez had as a rookie was a sign of things to come? I also remember Rick Mirer lighting it up in the 1999 preseason. How did that work out???? Rookies struggle. That's the way it goes.

10. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

With our offense I don't understand how anyone can think we're not in the running for worst team in the NFL. 0-16? Probably not, worst record in the league? Not at all outside the realm of possibility, or even likelihood.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

His upside is unlimited at this point. What can you tell from one game either way?????? If he lit it up tonight, that meant he was destined for stardom? This board if f*$#ing ridiculous. You are seriously going to base a draft pick's potential career on one preseason game??? How impatient are you and is your need for instant gratification that out of control????

12. lakersmetsjets49ers

Ahhh selective reading at its best. Where did I say give up on him? Oh wait I didn't.

I said the reality of the situation. He's a 2nd round draft pick. There's minimal long term investment in him especially when you consider next years draft has a solid number of first round qb prospects.

The logical thing for this season is this. Start Sanchez weeks 1 and 2. If he sucks and plays like absolute trash then start Geno week 3. Its 10 days between weeks 2 and 3. Week 3 is at home against buffalo, a winnable game and week 4 is against the titans, another potential winnable game. Put the kid in a position to do decent rather then have his crash course to the NFL be playing a good defense in Tampa and at New England in a 4 day span. If geno doesn't show anything of the course of the season, you draft a qb in the first round next year. Plain and simple.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets can't get a decent running game going to support the QB's this team could very well go 0-16. I've seen nothing of the running game to be happy about when they were playing 1st stringers. In fact I've seen very little of the offense to be happy about when playing first stringers.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

15. lakersmetsjets49ers

Its not basing it off of 1 preseason game.

To me its the fact that this was genos job to win. Look at seattles situation last year. Matt Flynn went into camp as the clear cut starter, Russell Wilson (a 3rd round pick I might add) clearly outplayed him and earned the starting job and never let go.

I feel give geno this season to see what he has, if he doesn't show something or improvement isn't shown over the course of the season and you get a top 10 pick, the logical common sense choice is to draft a qb in a draft that will have quality first round qb's

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

There is one solid first round QB in next year's draft - Bridgewater. And he will go first or second. After that, the only other QB with a first round grade is the kid from UCLA, who happens to be a sophomore. The rest of these great QBs everybody keeps mentioning are slated to go in the 2nd round and later, just like this year's draft.

Go ahead and name all of these college QBs destined for NFL starting jobs in the 2014 draft. I'm curious.

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

Who do you draft? Who is a top 10 pick other than Bridgewater?

18. lakersmetsjets49ers

Just seen your post. Boyd and Derek Carr are both considered top 10 draft picks and honestly who knows who else's stock goes up over the course of the season. The 2014 class is better then 2013.

Hell I would even consider trading up to get bridgewater if it came down to it. But hey lets see what they have in geno and how he develops over the course of the season. If he shows promise and improvement then there's no need to draft a qb. That said I want him to be put in the best position to succeed and to me that's letting sanchez be the fall guy weeks 1 and 2 and geno having almost a week and a half to prepare for buffalo in a much more manageable debut game.

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

None of the above

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

thats what i'm wondering too.

fair enough, it just seemed like you were ready to throw the towel in with him.

I question how patient the Jets should be with all this, I'm willing to go with a plan that has Smith as the future in spite of not getting immediate positive results tonight.

theres no downside to thinking this way, the only time theres opportunity cost is if/when they are in the position to get a better QB from FA or the draft, but even then thats a questionable action.

he won't be perfect and thats fine, as long as he progresses and flashes ability as he had today more and more.