Can't wait for Rex to be fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Rex Must Go

Rex Must Go New Member

Mr T gave Rex everything he wanted -- he had as much influence or more than Mangini before him and Bradway.

2. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

You missed or ignored the point. Major contributors arrived when he did (I only listed some on offense) and he brought a bottom-half defense to top 10 four years in a row.

3. FlashGordon

I think it was a step back from what we've grown accustomed to, a top 5 unit. Last year was only top 8. Hardly something to fire a guy over.

And what's your response to the second part? Who do you want as a replacement?

4. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Absolutely ... a huge upgrade to Kotite, Edwards, Mangenius and countless others ...

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That wasn't my original argument Byz. Someone else brought up the comparison. I was running with the point, not the originator.

If we're gonna use that line of thinking, the case could easily be made to refute the point no?

#125 Cman68, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Yes every team has injuries. Yes the Jets were fortunate in 09 & 10. Does that make what happend in 2012 any less UNFORTUNATE?

We're not talking about a couple injuries. We're talking about replacing injured players from the PRACTICE SQUAD w/ guys off the street. That's not normal. That's not something that can just be shrugged off. It's a legit mechanism that played a major part in the demise. Ignoring its existence & its impact is simply that.Ignorant.

7. How do you know that to be true? Were you there? Did you see Rex's wish list?

Rex certainly wasn't happy about the Stephen Hill pick. He doesn't seem to like Greg Mcelroy too much.

You have no idea which players Rex handpicked & which one's he didn't.It's purely self serving speculation.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Rex is not the problem.

Tanne, all his OC's, Tebow circus and Sanchez are all more to blame than Rex.

He is an excellent coach for this market and has a pedigree of winning.

9. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I agree.

The '09 and '10 seasons made so many short-sighted fans think that the norm for this team is ~10 wins and a trip to the playoffs. We're not the Steelers. It takes time to change the tide and become a consistently good team, and there are always hiccups along the way (unless you get there solely because of an elite QB.) You don't get there by constantly firing HCs and GMs at the first sign of weakness. Belichick was horrible as a HC until he got Brady, now everybody says he's a genius and that his first 6 years of awfulness as HC for the Browns and Patriots were everyone else's fault.

Belichick was a supposed defensive genius and he was terrible with the Browns for 5 years. (One winning season.) Then went 5-11 for the Patriots. Ryan is a defensive genius, and he made deep playoff runs his first two years with a terrible QB.

If we get rid of Rex, the defense will massively regress and the only hope the Jets will have of becoming a great team will be if they win the quarterback lottery. With Rex, the Jets can be a great team with even a mediocre QB. We are lucky to have a coach like Rex, and it would be a catastrophic mistake to get rid of him even if the Jets go 7-9 this year because of Tannenbaum's mistake in extending Sanchez.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My bad, Cman. If I had seen that, I would have made the argument about that post instead of yours.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The 2009 to 2011 drafts are the reason we suck

You can't draft poor outside of Wilkerson, Kerley and maybe Ellis and except to continue winning

Then on top of that we deal our best player but extend our biggest fuck up

This organization has been making bad decisions for years

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand how Rex operates his defense. It is not Blitzburgh 3-4 nor is it Fairbanks/Bullough 3-4. Rex runs his own brand of defense, and his philosophy is fairly sound. To your dismay, he does not run his 3-4 based on typical 3-4 strategy. After all, apple does not fall far from the tree; yes, you guessed it right. The core philosophy underlying his defense is 46 defense, not 3-4.

Of course, he will not run 46 as a defensive package; but the spirit of 46 is there in the defense. What he can't do with actual personnel deployment, he does with simulated pressures and gap swaps and whatnot.

If you ever got to read his book on 46 defense, you will understand why he's so high on corners and defensive linemen. While I do not agree with that make-up, he has enough body of work to shut me up on it. In his defense, defensive linemen are premium, followed by corners. There is a reason why Jets neglected drafting LBs for the past half decade. Rex doesn't put too much emphasis on LBs. [Again, I don't agree with that, but then he's the coach and not me.]

I believe this is the first year he got the defensive set-up that he so desired [4 capable linemen + 3 capable CBs + 2 capable safeties.] Coples injury does suck, but expect the defense to get better as the season goes on. [... that is, if they have a reason to play better...]

First, if Sanchez didn't have that albatross contract of 12M hanging over his head this season, I am sure he's a goner after last season. We have discussed how much Sanchez sucks ad nauseum on other thread and I don't see the merit of discussing just that here.

Secondly, I tend to think that, before cutting Sanchez loose, the most prudent thing to do is to make sure he is a bust. I believe that's the process with Jets front office as of now.

And... lastly, I don't know how much of an input Rex had over the drafts and salary contracts, but I don't think you can fault Rex for the monstrous contracts and a few years of consecutive horrible drafts - which resulted in last year's meltdown.

That is one of the things Rex could learn to do better - i.e. Revis debacle and Asomugha debacle and so on.

====================================================

Some coaches are very successful from the get-go, like Bill Walsh [but he had successful career as a coordinator, and he learned well from one of the early-day legends, Paul Brown.] As it happened, Rex is not quite that. But he will learn to get better. If we could put up with the mediocrity of Brian Schottenheimer and Mark Sanchez for good half a decade, I don't see why one cannot put up with a coach that actually produces - albeit half of the squad.

#132 Zach, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. DanR

DanR Active Member

I want Rex gone too. But I would never start my argument with what he's done on defense.

14. Joewillie78

Joewillie78 Banned

REX is a great DEFENSIVE COACH but his in game management as head coach, and his knowledge of one side of the ball is quite frankly pathetic. I have never seen a coach mismanage time-outs and mismanage the clock like REX, and his idea of a forward pass is a 3 yard shovel. He is clueless about offensive football. Sorry but REX's record after 4 years is a mere 1 game better than HERM EDWARDS and people couldnt wait to run him out of town (deservedly so), and now hopefully we cant wait to run REX out as he is a great D-coordinator but like his clown brother should NEVER be HEAD COACH anywhere but possibly at a d-III schooll!

15. FlashGordon

I agree, except it goes back farther than that. '08 was horrendous. Gholston, a trade-up for Keller, no 2, no 3, Erik Ainge, Marcus Henry, and Nate Garner in 5,6, and 7. Dwight Lowery in round 4 was nice, but that's a bad draft.

In retrospect, even 2007 was a problem. Sure, we got Revis and Harris 1 and 2, but then we had nothing until round 6 because we traded much of the draft to get those two. Right from the start, Tannenbaum traded the shit out of his draft picks. Better win big, quickly, with that philosophy or you end up where we (and Tanny) are now.

16. FlashGordon

I have no idea what makes you say the bolded part. Examples? You must not have been around for Herman Edwards. Motherfucker literally needed a time management assistant position created for him.

Criticize Rex on offense all you want, you don't need to make shit up.

17. Joewillie78

Joewillie78 Banned

Actually, as bad as HERM was for his in game management(And i watched all Herms games, UNFORTUNATELY), REX is basically on a par with HERM for in game management. REX consistently wastes timeouts, consistently mis-manages the clock, now I do have to cut REX a bit of slack, as he also has the worst in-game manager QB I have ever seen, and HERM had the very smart CHAD PENNINGTON, but REX is a pathetic in-game manager just like HERM.

By the way, the best by far: PARCELLS!

18. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Almost every headcoach is flawed in some way. Very few truly understand both sides of the ball. Rex's biggest flaw is his support for veteran's over younger more talented players. Rex's almost equally big flaw is his lack of understanding of how to run a successful offense. He understands how to stop offenses, but he lets his understanding of defenses undermine his offense when he puts his finger in to it.

I'm not on the fire Rex bandwagon, whoever we bring in will most likely be equally, if not more, flawed. At least Rex brings a good defense to the table and as long as he lets an OC run the show on offense the team will be fine in the long run.

19. FlashGordon

I don't think I've ever heard this criticism before. Examples? Or are you just at the "I don't like him anymore so everything sucks now" phase?

20. Joewillie78

Joewillie78 Banned

I agre to a point BUT "more flawed than REX"? This I highly doubt as REX has 1 of the 3 basic neccessities to be a good head coach, He knows defense but lacks an incredible ability to grasp OFFENSIVE FOOTBALL, and lacks an incredible ability to manage a game as it flows. To be MORE flawed than REX would mean that we must have just re-hired RICH KOTITE!