The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm not quite following but maybe that's just me.

Of course there has to be competition. Competition is going on all around you, every single hour of the day at TC, and at every position. That's the world a rookie enters. And it's nothing new because they've faced competition all their lives while in HS and college.

So no, the Jets aren't about to announce that Sanchez is the starter. That's silly. And my above opinions are just my own speculation, mind you. I'm just spelling out what I see as the most likely avenue for the Jets. With Idzik announcing it will be a group decision, that actually takes the heat off of Ryan and makes the "competition" all that much more real for both QBs. But in the end, I think Sanchez will really have to fuck up badly to get bounced in Week One. And of course, TC doesn't show you just how badly he can fuck up... nor do the "Preseason Games," which have become farcical as far as a "game" goes. They're really just televised scrimmages these days.

2. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Even if the fodder is not there, they will create it...

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Great start to be an NFL QB. Without the work ethic you cannot be successful.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

You said that since Mark is a 5th year vet that he should start. That contradicts the whole competition mantra.

5. Section 227. Row 5

I'm saying that my OPNION is that the Jets will probably start him for the reasons I stated. And this has NOTHING to do with the current competition.

If you have a problem with the Jets making Sanchez and Smith compete and then giving the Week One start to Sanchez, you should take it up with the NY Jets.

6. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Sig'd that one, thanks.

7. NYJets17

I apologize if this has been posted, just wanted to share a Geno article.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...th-reportedly-outplaying-mark-sanchez-at-camp

8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

#2169 101GangGreen101, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. NYJets17

Got some original material out here on TGG

11. mute

mute Well-Known Member

because Rex is on the hot seat and Sanchez is the best option going in. Fact.

There shouldn't be any arguing going back and forth on this. Sanchez has proven to be durable and tough throughout his stay and has been working on the new offense for months.

He'll start because he has more experience and knows how to play the teams in the division early on because that will realistically be the best choice for the JETS right now.

12. NYJets17

Rex honestly is not on the Hot-seat in my opinion. Only way rex is fired is if we have a Top5 pick.

13. mute

mute Well-Known Member

The problem is you just dont know with this fanbase and media. If this team starts f'in up, the majority will cry for Rex' head and down he goes, sadly.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, because Sanchez has done so swimmingly vs our division the last two years. 3-3 in 2011, 2-4 in 2012. SUCH VALUABLE EXPERIENCE.

Give me a break. He's barely outplaying a rookie. He got benched for a fucking 7th round pick who won the game 7-6 against Arizona. He threw 4 INTS against Tennessee (a very, very bad team). He's terrible. If you can't see that, I feel bad for you, son.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

It's funny that you can be so sure of who the starting QB is but the coaches aren't.

16. mute

mute Well-Known Member

based on the Rex Ryan era, they tell the media one thing and do the opposite. Im pretty sure they know whos the starter. Just let it play out for the media and for you guys to talk about it like a soap operas till kickoff.

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

not necessarily... Smith has more physical ability and if he can take away the advantage Sanchez has in understanding the playbook he could be the one to get the job and potentially be better than Sanchez.

for all Sanchez has Smith could (keyword: could) have more to offer.

18. Section 227. Row 5

These are valid points. I'm not so sure what Rex being on the hot seat has to do with anything though. Idzik has already stated he will be taking part in the decision.

But they will probably start Mark (and again, I'm not thrilled with this) but it will be the lesser of two evils. Sure, you could start a complete rookie, throw him to the wolves and let him get his brains bashed in... with no game management experience in our division and zero experience against the DEFs in our division.

Or you can start El Guappo (The Goodlooking One), who demonstrates an extreme propensity for mishandling the ball and throwing inaccurate passes, but who at least has 5 years of experience at game management in real NFL time. Then you have Smith observe. If you have to pull Sanchez, you can insert Geno and then go with that. But you can't start Geno and then pull him and put La Máquina de la Interceptación back in without causing massive QB controversy and damage to Geno's psyche and ego and probably confidence level.

Either way, we are fucked but good this year. There are no very good options.

19. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

no, I'm pretty sure they don't.

the same stupid argument of playing up to the media for some reason, WHY? Especially when you could and SHOULD just give the player you know is your guy the most reps with the first team as soon as you know it to be a certainty.

why waste time like that when theres a bigger benefit to the team by just going with your best player? what is the reward for stalling?

I think the Jets are honestly up in the air on this, theres a push to start Smith but not enough just yet to say he doesn't need more time to develop. and then theres sanchez's steady improvement and experience.

they wouldn't do this if they didn't think it was necessary, why the hell would they?

20. Section 227. Row 5

Here's what they're doing. They've got Geno and Sanchez sharing the reps. Now think about it. Does Sanchez need reps with the 1s? Really? He's had 5 years at reps with the 1s.

They've got Geno sharing the reps to see what he's got and bring him in the way a good QB like him needs to be brought into the fold... with a little respect and to break him in and give him the feeling like he's worthy. And also, what if Sanchez goes down in Game One? So he's got to have some work with the 1s.

But I think it's all a show. I think the Jets probably know this is Sanchez' rodeo to lose. He would have to really, really stink up the practice field something awful to lose his start on Day One. I mean really stink it up badly. And he's not doing that.

I am saying the likely scenario is Sanchez. I will be more than shocked if Geno starts on Day One. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't be on the edge of my seat with excitement at the opener. I'm just saying I don't think the Jets go with the rookie for all the reasons I've outlined previously. You can start La Máquina de la Interceptación and pull him, but you can't start Geno and pull him to put La Máquina back in. That is insanity.