ESPN: Milliner signed; all picks signed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ajetsfan4ever, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Offset language

Cooper in AZ is going through the same thing

2. Jets aren't gonna budge on this. They will make an example w/ Dee to put an end to the Revis-esque hold out stuff. Tannenbaum would always budge.Which made the problem worse. That ain't gonna happen under Idzik.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

So it's a difference between Jets owing Milliner if they cut him over having the other team pick up the rest of the tab? If I'm Milliner I don't blame him. I'm never against players getting their money this is just getting annoying. Both sides need to compromise.

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Yeah me neither just get it done soon

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Offset language is a horrible thing for a player to hold out over.

If Milliner is free before his 4th year it means he busted with the Jets. Nobody is going to give him a lot more than a tentative minimum type deal in that situation. The amount that Milliner is going to earn and that the Jets will recoup is small change compared to the overall numbers in play.

I can understand the Jets wanting no offset language. They have 20 people or so with significant guaranteed money in their contracts every season and so if a few of them don't work out that could turn into a million or two on the cap in any given season. Cap space is obviously very important to any NFL team.

For the player I just don't understand it. They're holding out to maybe make an extra 500k on a $12M contract in the end. They only get that money if they failed to live up to the original contract.

It just makes no sense. Get in camp and get your work in. That's your best shot at maximizing your earnings over your career. Offset language is worth very little in the big picture.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Anyone know who his agent is?

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

We drafted him in April

WTF were Milliner and Idzik doing since then

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It would be totally idiotic for the GM to agree to that. Just open the door to get in the same shit hole that Tanny got us into. Haven't we learn fuck all from our previous management? Don't budge....sit his sorry ass for a year. He is arguing over something that is minor to him but huge for the Jets. We do not need another freaking prima Donna with a dick head for an agent like Revis.

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Wait! What? Huh?

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

hahaha that is entirely possible!

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's is fucking STALEMATE!!!!!

Run for the hills, kid.

13. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

In this particular case I agree with the team...which I rarely do when it comes to contract matters. With the way the Rookie scale is and the current collective bargaining agreement is written he will make his money in the 2nd contract...that is if he doesn't bust out. Milliner has ZERO leverage...the Jets are ultra deep at corner and I can't see Idzik setting any kind of tone for the future other than to "get your ass into camp."

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

To me a guy holding out for offset language is kind off like the guy saying "I'm not sure I'm good enough to be here for four years so I need assurances that I will get paid extra for not living up to my contract."

Although it could be over guaranteed money or something too. Not to mention he's injured anyway, probably would just be riding the bike if he was coming. Obviously I'd prefer if he was signed.

I just think the longer it goes on the more he will need to walk away with something in order to save face. If he holds out, misses a bunch if camp and then just signs the same deal he could have signed day one it will look like he did all of that for nothing.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So of course there are only three unsigned first round picks and we have one of them. Does he use Revis's rep?

16. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Don't blame Idzik, he got Richardson in on time. With the new rookie wage scale the only thing that they can be haggling over is "off-set" language. This holdout can't last too much longer.

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Well Cooper has signed so just down to Warmack and Dee. Dee needs to get his ass to camp. Tell your agents to get the damn deal done and get to freaking Cortland.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Somewhere I saw that the Cooper signing had some effect on Milliner signing..not sure how as they are totally different positions. Something about language in the contract. It can't be money as there is no leverage with rookies anymore in that regard.

19. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I think I read he agreed to the offset language / structure that the Jets are holding firm on with Dee which should help get Dee and his agents to agree to what has been presented

20. Braylon4ever

Braylon4ever Active Member

Dee is proving to be quite a dick, isn't he?

At least Mevi$ did his hold-out later....MUCH LATER.

Dee hasn't proving jack-shiznit and he's pulling this crap?

If I'm Idzik, I'd tell Dee "Fine. You can sit at home WITHOUT A PAYCHECK while the regular season goes on"

Offset Language MY ASS!