Mehta: Jets should extend Rex now

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

he's right but it will all work itself out, I expect they will bring him back.

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Rex has 2 years left on his contract lets see how he handles things this season. Obviously no one is expecting the Jets to make the playoffs, but what we're looking at is how the team performs on the field and as long as the team doesn't quit on him he should be back next year with a contract extension.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

If the Jets have learned anything on bad contracts namely Holmes. Nothing should ever be given to an individual up front, contracts should be laden with incentives and we should wait until after week 10.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Of course he wants them to extend him. He's the beat writer and Rex is like the golden goose who keeps on giving for those guys.

Mehta's made a living off of Rex - no wonder he's going to push for an extension... Get a tight-lipped, straight laced coach in here and Mehta might actually have to do some actual reporting.. God forbid

6. nyjunc

so you hate rex too? Maybe we can get Mangini and Favre back for you?

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not yet, let him earn it. I want him back as well - but Idzik should wait to see how the Rex / MM combo works

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Rex needs to prove he can get something out of his offense before we should extend him IMO.

9. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Get us to 7 wins, and I'm in favor of extending Rex. Doing it now is premature

10. BrowningNagle

My comments were about Mehta and his stupid article. I think he WANTS Rex to have an extension, more than believing he actually deserves one.

But since you asked - I don't hate Rex. But I don't think he deserves an extension though right now. I think his seat should be hotter right now and he has more to prove under his contract right now before I'd go blindly extending.

-I don't think Mangini was all that bad of a coach - less skilled defensively than Rex certainly. Much Better at managing an organization though. Rex could learn a lot from Mangini / coaches like him.

-And Favre, well shit- is this even a question? I don't want to derail this into another Sanchez thread. though. I'll leave it be. Let's just say Brett Favre was a "solid" starting QB in this league. Could this team use a solid starting QB? Yes... Does that answer your question?

11. BrowningNagle

7 wins? really holding him accountable eh?

12. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Only thing is that if the offense improves, Rex has basically said all offseason that it will nothing to do with him at all.

The defense will be up to snuff, as usual. So it sounds more like the fate of Rex is in Marty's hands more than his.

13. nyjunc

I think mangini could have been a great coach if he knocked off the silly Belichick impersonation.

Favre w/ similar talent couldn't even get us to postseason but he was a great fantasy QB!

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

NO, NO, NO!!!!

He shouldn't have even got the first extension. Make him earn the money!

He has not had control of the players or the locker room in two years. The Holmes shit, Tebow mess and everything at the QB position is all his fault even though he won't admit it now.

If we get 9 wins give it to him, we get 6 or less cut his ass. A 7-8 win season would depend on other factors.

For a man who's first statement was he did not come here to kiss BB's ring, he sure kisses a lot of ass these days.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Part of his job as the HEAD coach is to surround himself with a competent staff.

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Same ol' myths and rhetoric, and your avatar speaks volumes. :lol: at dismissing Geno Smith as a bust before taking a single TC snap in the NFL. Great fans we have here in NY! Rex has already proved himself. People dislike his personality, but he's a good coach. Schotty is the one who lost the locker room. Rex took the blame because that's the kind of guy he is. I'm not advocating for immediate extension, but barring a disaster year, he gets it.

17. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

I've always been a big fan of Rex, even bought the guys book. He always got blamed for alot of things he really shouldnt have but I guess that comes with being the Head coach and the amount of running his mouth he did, which I also liked.

Im all for extending Rex but I agree he NEEDS to show us he can control the offense.

18. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

Like the players who are earning their spot at training camp, Rex has to earn that extension.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

100%

Give him a boost of confidence, Rex thrives on that!

20. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Of course he doesn't deserve an extension at this point. If he doesn't have a decent season(7 or more wins) and the offense doesn't show improvement, the Jets will be looking for a new coach in 2014.