ESPN: Milliner signed; all picks signed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ajetsfan4ever, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24279/lets-make-a-deal-or-not

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

With training camp approaching, only 29 draft picks remain unsigned leaguewide, three of whom are Jets -- Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson and Geno Smith. What's taking so long?

John Idzik has a reputation for being a hardline negotiator, and -- like many GMs -- he's being challenged on the issue of offset language in fully guaranteed contracts. This has become a hot-button topic around the league, and it's believed to be the primary hurdle in the Milliner and Richardson negotiations.

Since the current CBA went into effect in 2011, the Jets have always demanded offsets for their first-round picks. In fact, the Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples contracts include offset language. From all indications, Idzik has no intention of changing the organizational policy.

But here's the rub: More and more teams are doing deals without offsets. In fact, the three top-10 picks who have signed -- Luke Joeckel (Chiefs), Ezekiel Ansah (Lions) and Tavon Austin (Rams) -- all received contracts with no offset clauses. Milliner was the ninth pick, Richardson the 13th. Thus, they will sign four-year deals for $12.66 million and $10.05 million, respectively, give or take a few nickels. Total value is the easy part.

The rookie wage scale has streamlined negotiations, but the offset matter has complicated things a bit. Hey, agents and teams need to argue about something, right?

Offset language means teams recoup future guaranteed money if they cut a player and he signs elsewhere. Whatever the player earns from his new team is subtracted from what the old team owes him. It prevents "double dipping" by the player. The Jets gave a no-offset deal to Mark Sanchez last year (pre-Idzik), but they haven't done it for a rookie.

Another issue in the Milliner and Richardson talks could be signing-bonus payout. I'm told that Idzik is a staunch believer in holding on to as much money as possible, deferring bonus payments.

Idzik is on the clock because the Jets' rookies are due to report Monday. They can't afford to miss any time, especially Smith, who is battling Sanchez for the quarterback job. So why the delay with Smith?

Smith is one of only three second-round picks who remain unsigned. Because his contract won't be fully guaranteed, there's no issue with offset language. However, it's believed that the Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick rookie deals from 2011 are impacting the Smith negotiations.

As quarterbacks, Dalton (No. 35 overall) and Kaepernick (No. 36) received a higher percentage of guaranteed money than some of those drafted around them. For instance, 74 percent of Kaepernick's four-year, $5.124 million contract is guaranteed, according to overthecap.com. There's no doubt that Smith (No. 39) is looking for a sweeter deal than some of those ahead of him. The 38th pick, LB Manti Te'o, received a 62 percent guarantee on his $5.172 million. You can bet Smith wants to be in the Dalton/Kaepernick neighborhood.

Idzik was described by one source as "unbendable." We'll find out more about him in the coming days.

Is this not alarming to anyone else? I haven't heard anyone on here mention this.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Players are human too - they need some protection on their behalf as well. It will take time but I just pray it doesn't result in contract hold out over the training camp. Especially Geno can't afford to pull that kind of stupid stunt. If he does that - he all but seals his own fate. Jets will draft a QB in the 1st round next spring.

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Wake me up on Friday.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Better yet, wake up on kick-off day. That's what I will do. Off-season bullshit is not something I need to waste my time on.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is going to be one of the more exciting Jets preseasons in a while IMO. There are so many positional battles and starting jobs up for grabs. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and I'm sure there will be a couple of surprises.

6. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

They all need to get as much as they can get football is an unforgiving sport.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't know if I agree with that assessment - Other than Mornhinweg, there is no reason to expect anything half decent from the offense, and we all know Jets have been hurting kind of real bad at the second line of the defense (that is, LB corps) along with safeties. Case in point - if you have to hope your 6th and 7th round picks pan out for your starting position, you KNOW you are in deep shit.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't say anything about expectations. Not sure what you're disagreeing with.

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

That 'EXCITING PRESEASON' thing, I was disagreeing with. To me, it is more ho-hum process - which was why I told you I'd wake up at the kick off day.

10. BleedingGangGreen

Football can be a pretty violent sport. Some say any given Sunday when in regards to teams upsetting one another, but it's any given play when in regards to these players overall health. I appreciate our GM attempting to improve our long term future by trying to save every nickel and dime but at the same time I also respect these players feelings when trying to get as much money as possible. Their future isn't guaranteed. That's why it's called 'negotiations'. But as a fan I try not to get too involved within these contract disputes. I just hope to see our players ready to compete come training camp.

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Well if you reason for not being interested in the preseason is low expectations for the season then why even give a shit about the season? To me the fun part about preseason is finding out who is going to start and seeing how the young guys do. This year there are going to be a lot of new starters and positional battles, so that's the exciting part to me.

I have low expectations for the regular season regardless of how that plays out.

12. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

None of these guys can afford to miss any part of Training Camp.

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

In this case Smith, the guy that fired his agents over his draft position, then hired a guy that never negotiated an NFL contract, is going to screw himself, if he misses day 1 of TC.

Hes relinquishing any chance to unseat Sanchez, and if he does not.,,odds are he's a backup for years.

Over 6% in guarantees, which is about the same coin he laid on the Ferrari. He isnt walking away from the cash, mind you.....its just the guarantee.

Even if the Jets season is as bad as some think...(I dont. Its 11 wins).. Idzik will look at the situation, and see Revis all over again, and let Sanchez fail, and grab one of the top 3 qBs next year.

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I disagree....

This is the first legit OC, the Jets have had since Rex got here.

The Defense shed the risk averse Pettine, and got younger, faster and nastier...

And its returning a set of skill position players for the first time.(powell,cumberland,holmes,hill,kerley)

And, Smith(hayden) winslow, ivory, goodson, are upgrades over whats been lost.

To me, the only real loss, is LaRon Landry. You could argue Bell, but Dawan makes that a wash.

15. The deals will get done. If someone is gonna blink bet on it being the players.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

17. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This

18. 518

518 Member

Idzik is making sure the agreements are within his rigid scope of what he deems reasonable. He has been said to be "unbendable". This could be interesting heading into camp. I personally hope he wraps all 3 in time for camp up to save us the backpage drama especially if Geno is the only rookie still not signed.

19. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Let Idzik do his job. I'm not worried.

20. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

If my agent told me to skip the Senior Bowl because I was a first round lock and I didn't go until the 2nd round I'd have fired him too.