2013 NBA Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by soxxx, Jun 22, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have seen a lot of Vince Carter in the past couple of years. He is an empty shell compared to what he was.

I remember thinking years back that he was going to be the answer to Jordan. He never lived up to it, and now he is absolutely one-dimensional.

2. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hahaha I know, makes me think of this poster PR Pitbull's avatar. It's the pride of Boise State as well as former Knick/Net Chris Childs with a jab right to Kobe's grill.

I was in Paris during some of those Olympics and will never forget le dunk de la mort

BTW I need a refresher, was Vin Baker actually a member of the 2000 Olympic team?

3. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

I would love to have Rondo, Kobe on the other hand, i would not touch with a ten foot pole. The guy is such a diva and all about him, he should retire a Laker, he is perfect for that town.

4. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Wow that mush have been an amazing experience.

According to wikipedia, yes haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_at_the_2000_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_team_rosters

I would take Kobe next year. He's just chasing a ring and I mean a team with MWP, JR, Kobe, and Melo hahaha. So entertaining.

5. Barry the Baptist

I always forget that somehow France won the silver despite being 2-3 in pool play. They sucked. I always pulled for Lithuania because of their 92 connection to the Grateful Dead.

The Frenchies lucked out in that in getting to the gold medal game they avoided Lithuania, Yugoslavia and Italy who all would have demolished them. They beat I think Canada and Australia to get to the gold medal game. The best game of the tournament was the semifinal between the US and Lithuania when I believe it was Darius Songalia who missed a 3 that would have given Lithuania the win.

6. displacedfan

Wow that's a good memory. I don't remember much from this olympic run. I think Melo vs Nigeria, Kobe vs Australia, and beating Spain. And CP3 had this crazy dribble move out of a trap/double, but that might have been in the qualifiers before the actual Olympics haha

7. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Mike Miller amnestied...

Riley wanted to keep him...

But no way in hell the Arisons were paying $17 million in luxury tax for Mike Miller...

8. displacedfan

You don't want to pay 17 million in luxury tax for a player you keep on the bench until the middle of the playoffs? :grin:

Wonder who claims him and where he ends up going. When he's healthy, he's a good piece.

9. Barry the Baptist

One thing that I think people don't realize about those Olympics is that Argentina did not qualify and Spain were horrible. 4 years later Spain went 5-0 but lost to the US in the knockout stage and Argentina won the gold. Lithuania again lost to the US this time in the bronze medal game.

It's a shame Yugoslavia did not compete in 1992 because they really would have had a decent shot against the Dream Team

10. displacedfan

Yeah I don't remember any of that. The Olympics don't really stick in my head at all. Just blend together. Especially other teams than the US.

Stumbled across this video when browsing more basketball highlights.

[YOUTUBE]HxVRQHU5It0[/YOUTUBE]

11. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

So JR Smith's deal is actually a 2 year deal with a player option for a 3rd. A lot better than guaranteeing 4 years.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Thank goodness! 4 years was absurd, and now we're hearing that he's going to be out 3-4 months??? We should have never signed him.

13. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Espn now saying the same thing I said, Lakers will go after Lebron and Melo.

Kobe is as good as gone, its over, finished. Retirement or Clippers? I think Clippers.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hope the Lakers fall on their face. They have done a bang up job of it so far.

I really want them to become the Dallas Cowboys of the NBA.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

to be fair, it isn't entirely their fault or because of what appeared to be horrible player decisions. the coaching decisions are really the only bad movies they have made. Brown was a bad hire in theory and execution, but the DiAntoni decision didn't appear horrible.

they were screwed out of Chris Paul.

signing Nash seemed okay. they didn't give up anything for Howard. the team has simply exhausted what drove its success several years ago. it happens.

now they just need to start over. they don't have a strong core that can just be added to.

16. displacedfan

The bold is so important. If the Lakers didn't get every player they wanted in the past 15 years I would feel more bad for them.

17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I wouldn't feel bad for them either way. I just don't think there has been a string of bad decisions that have brought them down, simply the end of the team's capabilities as constructed.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The amazing part of what the Nets did is they built this team through patience and rigorous trading and taking risks. Deron was never a lock to resign, Johnson was a risky trade, etc.

No one wanted to join the Nets so the Nets did this through trading, not free agency.

19. Barry the Baptist

Hindsight is obviously 20/20 but the trade with Memphis actually now looks like a steal for Memphis. They got maybe the best center in the league in Gasol and they freed up tons of cap space in the process. The Lakers did win a title with Pau but I think Kupchak would probably have rather had Marc today.

20. Barry the Baptist

I'm gonna head out to the Summer league in Vegas tomorrow afternoon. I know I'm gonna see the Knicks and the Spurs. I haven't really seen any of the rosters for either but should be a good way to kill an afternoon.

Edit: Looks like Shumpert is gonna be playing for the Knicks as is Hardaway