the temptation to do nothing after college graduation

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by tank75, Jun 21, 2013.

1. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

so, i just graduated, but i so want to just do nothing for a while

what gives?

im trying to find a job, been on a lot of interviews but nothing yet, and i need to make money. other than that though, i dont wanna do like anything haha

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sounds like that attitude has shined through, during your interviews. :up:

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Find something you think you'd like doing and jump on it hard, right now.

Otherwise you're likely to spend the rest of your life working, and that sucks.

4. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

This is the best advice you'll ever receive. I spent a lifetime doing jobs that never stimulated me in the slightest just to pay my bills. Every single day for 25 years I had to force myself out of bed to go to work at my last job working for Social Security. I wish I'd found something I wanted to do when I was your age. I'm sure many others will tell you the same thing. Don't make the mistake I did.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah... seriously. It's not work if you love it. Just paying the bills is like treading water for the rest of your life.

Find what you love to do. What makes you happy. And do the fuck out of it.

Sounds cliche, but it took me twenty years to realize the truth of it.

A good salary in something you can tolerate is just a lure to be miserable for the best parts of your life.

6. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

haha well i definitely want a job,

im not really going for a career right now, just summer work cause i want to go on a road trip this september so i was going to use the summer to save up money

im gonna apply to the jets though, what the hell. i have experience doing sports videography so maybe i have a shot. probably not haha, but last time i looked they were looking for media positions haha

ill just need to write a really passionate cover letter to set myself apart.

7. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

what was your major?

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The need to make money is generally a powerful incentive to not want to do nothing for a while. haha. Be honest about what you really need to work for. And if there's no real need, then you have your answer.

9. Usica

Usica New Member

Good luck finding work. It is slim pickings these days as far as work is concerned. I can relate though, whenever I finish up a few semesters I just wanted to veg out, but then I would feel really guilty like I was supposed to be doing something else.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you want to be a professional at doing nothing for a living the first thing you need to do is stop going on interviews.

11. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im the opposite, I have 1 year left in college and I WANT a real job. Im sick and tired of working a low paying job and getting treated like crap.

Have you worked a shit job? if not maybe thats a reason why you have no desire. Or your parents perhaps pay for everything?and you dont need the $?

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Do you have student loan debt? If so wait until those deferments expire. Welcome to the hell that is being an adult.

Like the others said, find something you find fun, or at a minimum consistently interesting. Todays' job market is super competitive. Good hard working knowledgeable skilled professionals can't find work or move up the ladder. Prioritize happiness over money.

EDIT: Don't actually wait until your deferments expire to find work, just pointing out how much that part sucks.

#12 xxedge72x, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Don't look for a job. Look for something you really want to do and then go find a sucker to pay you to do it.

The happiest people in life spend all day on all fours under a hot sun in the desert using a toothbrush to tease the dirt off of a bone jutting out of a rock in the ground.

Put another way, you'll never find an angry, fat paleontologist disgusted with life by 40.

14. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I'm in the college graduation boat, and I'm enjoying this moment of unwinding from 17 years of schooling (collectively, obviously).

I figure by mid-summer I'll really crack down and pretty up my resume and start sending it out. I have family friends who may be able to help me land something before hand, and if that opportunity comes, I will for sure jump on it.

I would hate for it to come Fall and I'm sitting around with my current job (nothing career worthy) and that's all.

15. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

get a stem degree. pays well and the work is interesting as shit. imo of course

16. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I am mixed on wanting to do nothing and want to go to work. I just got my masters in May in Accounting. I start at PWC in August. My internship ends this Friday. I will have a month off, mostly studying for the CPA exam. But, I am going to enjoy that month off. I am excited to start working but I am also excited to be a bum for a month.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

IMO accounting is one of the core careers that will survive any government induced erosion.

If I had to do it again accounting would be it.

IT security, law, and teaching are others, along with union supported blue collar trades.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

I went through this too as I graduated this past December but you need to be careful because I graduated and said "Eh I'll take a week off and then start looking for a job and before I knew it that week became a month and then I started applying. Problem is it takes a lot of jobs a while to get back for you and even if you land the job you typically won't start for a month or so. I finally got a decent paying job but in the meantime I have bills stacking up due to my poor planning/laziness.

I would say look for the jobs now because you will have plenty of time to be lazy while you are waiting for them to get back to you. And that is much easier to tolerate than it will be once you decide you want to start working and are waiting anxiously next to the phone.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Congratulations!

Now go smoke a bowl and have some drink...

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yep.......
    I get the urge to not want to "work" right away, you're young and just finished school. If you're not going to get a "real" job then dont just hang around in the local bar scene working BS jobs. GO BIG........at least go do something real cool or crazy that you may never be able to again (travel, exotic/fun job/)........