Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

If tou have a staff that forces it. Some staffs point them at the Jugs gun, and go on theor merry way.

Parcells busted Keyshawns balls on cathing tecnique and sideline technoque when he got here.

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Did the Martians reply to this message?

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Sanjay Lal doesn't seem like a guy that could do the job. (Raiders WRs didn't look that good after all; Jets WRs certainly looked like shit last year.) The guy before (Henry Ellard) did fix Braylon's dropsies. I have to wonder what he is doing these days.

4. When they hired Lal, Rex & Tannenbaum talked up the work he did in Oakland. Seems like ever since he took over these receivers are constantly out w/ the soft tissue stuff when they should be practicing.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Lol. I was distracted by the Hernandez edible arrangement story.

6. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor New Member

Can anybody shed some light on how Will Campbell has been looking and how you see his future with the Jets?

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

No.........

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Since our beat writers know absolutely nothing about football and rarely watch anything but quarterbacks and receivers, I don't think we will know anything about Will Campbell until preseason.

And unless he completely blows people away, which apparently hasn't happened yet, his role as a rookie sixth round guard will likely relegate him to STs duties unless he is either cut or placed on the PS.

Did he go to your school, or do you know him personally, or both?

Edit: Nevermind, I see that all four of your posts are about this guy.

Don't hold your breath, he probably won't get much mention unless he ends up being an unlikely primary backup with skills at the other OL positions. And since he is converting from DL, we may not hear about him for years.

The good news is that the RG the Jets just let go (Brandon Moore) was a converted DL and he ended up being very good for a while, although he took quite a while to make the transition.

STs guy at best in 2013, in my experience.

#548 abyzmul, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  9. Rictor33

Rictor33 Active Member

If you look at a guy like Andrew Luck (not comparing him to Sanchez, he's better in every way) he was taught the proper fundamentals throughout college from Jim Harbaugh (former NFL QB) and was groomed to be an NFL starter from day one (pro style offense). Sanchez left college early and was treated to some of the worst OC's/QB coaches in the NFL.

Say what you want about Marty and his play calling (passes on 3rd and short), but the guy knows his offense and knows how to integrate a QB into it (look what he did with Vick when he had his bounce back season, he took a run first QB and turned him into a pocket passer).

So my point is: Yes, I hope Mark improves this year. I think he's got the talent (mentally is where he fails) and I hope Marty can calm scaredy-cat Mark down in the pocket and give him some confidence.

As far as Geno Smith is concerned I am happy that he gets to learn from seasoned NFL coaches (not sparano/cavanaugh/schotty) and hopefully he will develop into a good QB (certainly has the arm)

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. The strength of WCO is repetition, to the point of robotic execution. The QB just has to 1. know where the coverages are [play designs are made in such a way to reveal the weaknesses of defensive groupings, purely through geometric arrangement] and 2. feel the pressure. Believe it or not, Walsh had Montana practice throwing off scrambling on 5 step drops and more, as, by the time Montana was looking at 3rd option, he'd be chased by pass rushers.

2. I don't think Sanchez has the tools to excel in WCO. He a. lacks brain b. lacks accuracy and c. lacks the feel for the pressure.

3. I wasn't too impressed with Geno frankly.

4. I'd like to see Jets draft a QB in 1st round. (That is not named Manziel.)

11. We really don't know what Sanchez is gonna be. The WCO is a completely different mentality as a QB compared to what previously was here. Say this for sanchez he IS athletic & has made a few big plays while on the run.Thats a good WCO trait to have. It's can he make good decisions? So far the answers no.

12. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

What did not impress you about Geno?

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab:

Positives:

Great arm--can make all the throws.

Very accurate.

Great touch.

Quick release.

Mobile and athletic--but not a running QB. Looks to pass first and run only when needed.

Plays taller than his height--seems to play very upright, throws over the top so while he's not 6-4 or 6-5, height seems to be fine.

Negatives:

Played other-wordly against mediocre talent early in the season (who knew James Madison had a football team?), was the talk of the Heisman world for the first half of the season, then fell back to simply really good through the last half of the season, losing most of his games (which is not all on him).

Has not played in a pro-style offense, playing mainly from the shotgun.

Much of his success COULD be attributed to short throws to Austin and Stedman.

Played just ok in the snow in the Pinstrip Bowl (losing to my Orangemen :wink:). A big day on a big (somewhat) stage and he didn't impress--in the elements.

Was probably the best QB in a very mediocre draft class.

Not sure about his mental makeup--differing views on his mental toughness and ability to absorb a playbook. The Narwocki thing was probably WAY over the top--but even McShay said there was SOME truth to it. Seems like a weird (maybe introverted is a better word) guy--painting, poetry, acting--nothing wrong with that, just not what you'd expect from a football player.

Verdict:

Has all the physical tools, just need to see if he has the mental makeup and smarts. I saw him alot while watching Syracuse over the years--not the most impressive guy I've seen--but certainly a very talented guy. A poor-man's Teddy Bridgewater. Probably 3-4 guys in next years draft I'd take over him--but I'm hoping he shows enough that we don't have to.

_

14. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Kind of exactly what I thought you would say. Gil Brandt said that Geno was no where near as bad in those final games as you would think as he got no support and that if you reverse the halves of the season Geno would have been an easy #1 pick in the draft.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Thats balanced enough.

The Pinstripe bowl thing seems to be what people remember most about him.I find it funny that people use that as a marker for his play in big spots. Dude won the orange bowl the year before didn't he?

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you play football in a blizzard you're supposed to be very effective.

17. JStokes

Where did I say he was bad--I said he was merely really good as opposed to other-wordly.

WVU's first half of the schedule was cream-puffs which can legitimately be looked at as a reason why he was throwing for 7 TDs and 600 yards a game.

When the competition got better, he started throwing for 3 TDs and game which is really very good, but he fell off the Heisman watch.

The losses had to do with WVU not being very good, but Geno clearly didn't have as great a second half as he did the first half.

And while Brandt was right, nobody schedules the cream-puffs for the second half of the season, they are always loaded up in the early part of the schedule.

It's not an indictment of Geno, it's just looking at him objectively.

_

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

The losses were because WVU was giving up 40-60 points a game on a regular basis. He'll never be asked to score that many points in the NFL

19. JStokes

That's just natural because it was the last game he played. And he didn't even play badly, he was actually pretty efficient given the conditions. Hell, he even outplayed Nassib who some were suggesting was a 1st rounder (which is just silly--he played great for my Orangemen, but even I have to admit he wasn't anywhere near a first round guy).
    We lucked out getting Geno where we got him, if the guy can be anywhere near as accurate as he was in college, I'll be happy.

#559 JStokes, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  20. JStokes

No doubt, that's what I meant, clearly not his fault.

But Geno didn't have the second half--individually--as he did in the first half.

_