Rex Ryan: I’m a lot better coach than I’m given credit for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Tony Dungy & Jimmy Johnson are 2 other guys who had some lousy teams/units.

I actually agree w/ you about Rex's DC-esque comments. That said..we've seen this franchise have success under Rex when the offensive personnel is up to par.

This team's biggest weakness over the last decade or so has been lack of identity. Rex has given this team one.Strong unpredictable defense. Maybe not everyone likes that but its a method that's worked in Pittsburgh,Baltimore,Chicago & Tampa. In almost every single 1 of those circumstances..the roster/infrastructure took time to build.

We're at a low point w/ our offense. But there's a new FO in place that has already fixed alot of the issues. Team speed is drastically better over recent years,same w/ OL depth. There's also no doubt Marty can be a long term fixture at OC. This team just needs alittle time to get acclimated w/ the offensive system & to upgrade some of the offensive skill.

2. ajetsfan4ever

ajetsfan4ever Active Member

I agree.

Unless we're a terrible 6-10 team Rex will be back in 2014.

3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wow.

Somebody's cranky.

#83 Acad23, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Jimmy Johnson is another poor example.

Dungy though, is a very good one ... unfortunately it makes my point. He brought in a new culture and a top defense - managed to win some playoff games but could never get anything out of the offense. Then he was fired in favor of an offensive guy who then took his ready to win defense, added an offense and immediately won a superbowl.

If the end result is Rex getting fired and an offensive guy coming in and winning a championship, fine, that's great. I'd prefer Rex get the offense together and stick around though. Maybe Morningwood is the guy - I hope so.

5. 100% agreed. I think Dennis Thurman could be retained & he'd make a great long term DC.Perhaps even one day head coach.But It may take an offensive head coach to force this franchise's hand. They've failed at finding consistent explosion on offense for a decade now.One common theme IS a constant run of defensive head coaches.

That said another common theme has been instability. Jets always have alot of turnover on offense both on coaches & players.That affects chemistry,continuity & consistency. If Rex can find the right guy & stick by him..his D can carry us along the way. He's definitely building something on defense.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Rex Ryan - A Legend in his Own Mind. He can't get out of here fast enough. After this season, don't let the door hit you on your big ass on the way out, Rexy baby!

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

He aint going nowhere but to lead this team for the next few years. better learn to deal with that thought.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i wouldnt say that is a certainty lajet. i think he is as likely to not get a new contract as he is to get a new contract after this year.

maybe even less likely. its a new gm. he will want his own stamp on the team. rex will be on the last year of his contract. i can definitely see him not being back at the end of the year.

9. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Name a prospect coach we could possibly fathom in bringing in... The guy from T&M? Some Older Gent thats been casting for YEARS now( multiple targets ). I think Rex giving him that he can learn he needs to form a offensive staff to EXCEL in this league because without it lets be honest 2 great near misses with no offense

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Rex, get MM to put some points on the board and get your SEVEN NEW STARTERS on defense up to speed.

11. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Rex is gone unless he is all in in for changing this offense.

12. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. Morningwood, is that guy.

The Jets offensive woes, have been crystal clear predating Rex and Sanchez. And MM runs things 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

13. Hobbes3259

Ummmm...the GM already did that.

What you mean, is Rex is gone unless he benches Sanchez.

Epic fail.

14. Hobbes3259

Guy has had one losing season, and you want to show him the door.

Nice.

15. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Mentioning Sanchez once again when this thread is about Rex... You just can't stop can you?

16. G_know4Pres

G_know4Pres Banned

His infatuation with Mark Sanchez is true comedy. I'm new to this forum but I have been reading a lot of old posts/threads. No matter what the topic seems to be, he always finds a way to turn it into Dirty Sanchez banter. "If Mark Sanchez wasn't stuck with shit OC's" "If Mark Sanchez had decent wide receivers" "If Mark Sanchez was given a decent offensive line.. Blah blah blah"

He comes up with more excuses for Mark than his mother. Speaking of which... Is that you Mrs. Sanchez??

17. Hobbes3259

When you get to the third grade, they will help you out with that reading comprehension thing.

I was calling out 1985er, for attempting to turn this into a Sanchez sucks thread. Or did you fail to grasp what he meant? You must have read his post before mine.

Rex, changing the offense, given a new coordinator...where did you think he was going.

Agreeing with him, is certainly fair game (given you have an avvy of our new backup QB)... But attempting to point the finger at me, because you agree worh him, is...gay.

18. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Can't wait until Geno throws for 4 TD's 300+ yards Week 1 to shut your ass up.. But you will come up with some grand excuse that it is the system and Sanchez could have done exactly the same if not better.. Sound about right??

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True alleycat, there are no guarantees in this business, but I don't think Idzik is looking to put his own stamp on a new HC as much as he is willing to work with Rex and fix some of his short comings.
    First and foremost is to improve Rex media approach. New York can do anyone in but I have noticed a much more poised and reflective Rex since Idzik arrived.
    Second, what he says about his players and his team. His passion is often misunderstood, and his from the cuff statements are interpreted as throwing players under the bus. Unfortunately they prefer the BB/Mangini say nothing approach. Rex needs to temper that by a bunch.
    As for him being more involved with the Offense, well there is nothing wrong with getting an OC that can call the shots and let him do it. Obviously with MM style offense we are signaling the death of the old fashion ground and pound.
    I do agree that if some of these shortcomings become detrimental to the team progress then the GM will make changes, but he is smart enough to know that with Rex's outstanding defensive skills, the team is always in the game.
    Replacing that will not be an easy task.

20. Hobbes3259

How did Sanchez perform week one last year, exactly? (266,3tds,int)

And, just to satisfy my curiosity....do you really think the Jets will be blowing out the Bucs, by halftime, for Smith to get on the field, and toss four TDs?

(providing he has learned to do the tough things..you know, like take snaps from center, and call plays in the huddle....)

#100 Hobbes3259, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013