Rex Ryan: I’m a lot better coach than I’m given credit for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CJLang, Jun 14, 2013.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

compared to your standard NFL coach, hes a tremendous big mouth. HOw you can possibly think otherwise is mind-boggling

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

RR speaks with the media in a very informal way, almost as if they're his friends, and that gets him in shit because they can isolate any phrase they want and slap it on the headline.

How he handles the media is definitely his achilles' heel. It pisses a lot of people off, I understand that. However, I love the attitude he brings to the team, I'm confident if we could get a top 20 offense we'd be in the playoffs routinely under this guy. He's gotten multiple wins over Belidouche and Brady, he can play chess with any HC imo.

He's over .500 with Mark fucking Sanchez as his QB for 4 yrs.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

he acknowledged that the G&P doesn't work anymore and there needs to be changes. respect that he's finally learning form his mistakes

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Exactly, my accomplishments on defense.... the defense that couldn't stop an old man in a stroller in Pittsburgh and Sanchez of all people had to keep us in the game.

The Pats fan is no troll, he absolutely got it right.

Yes and no, he is a good head coach. The problem is in making these comments he throws the offense under the bus despite the fact that Sanchez out played Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in back to back weeks in 2010. It was the offense that won those games and while the D did make plays without Sanchez playing his best we don't beat Indy or NE and get destroyed in Pittsburgh.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

^The offense won those gms while the D held Manning to 14 pts and Brady to 21 with 7 coming in garbage time. Complete team victories, those wins are why I thoroughly believe RR can take us all the way if given a COMPLETE team, not half a team.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Certainly not bent out of shape.

I just found the comments interesting and telling. He did the same thing last year when he proclaimed he was the best defensive coach in football. People that have real self confidence don't feel the need to say this stuff.

I don't think anyone who knows anything about football and is being completely honest would disagree that Rex is one of the best defensive minds in the game.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

8-8 and 6-10 the last 2 seasons isn't that much to brag about, Rex. Also with all the talk about "back to back championship games," it could be pointed out that the jets would not have even made the playoffs in 2009 if Colts coach Caldwell hadn't pulled P. Manning and other starters at halftime of the final reg game that year.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i really expected you to tell him about stats without context are worthless.

iim a bit disappointed.

9. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

you people are ridiculous

dont you know rex already? hes a blowhard and hes always gonna say shit like this. i thought we were past this.

great to see how many fans support the most successful head coach in how many years now? i just dont understand how you can be a fan of this team and not see how completely changed this team became once rex was hired.

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

rex changed the attitude with lots of bravado and chest thumping. now that things are hard rex has been acting like a bit of a bitch. he comes off as a bully and blow hard.

i really thought he was past this type of shit but as was posted earlier its all about his own personality issues.

11. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

rex's problem is he may be better than he is given credit for he is not nearly as good as he thinks he is

it's kind of a ryan family trait

#51 GRNYT, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  12. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well he needs to prove getting into the playoffs or be out of a job. As it has been nearly two and a half years since he gotten into the playoffs.

13. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

rex is a glorified defensive coordinator and always will be...woody spent money and rex got a few old ravens buddies and got a few breaks to make the playoffs where he had a nice little run-talking s**t that makes jets fans feel good means squat w/o results and after woody's team got old and rex had to coach not just play defense he was exposed

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that simply isn't true at all. the offense and defense both sucked in the first half and Sanchez couldn't score on an old man in a wheelchair.

and if the defense doesn't shut out Pitt in the second half, the points Sanchez did lead us to would have been meaningless because the game wouldn't have been close.

the reality is that the offense scored nothing in the first half and even gave up 7. if the offense just scores 7 in the first half and the D still only gives up 17, and the second half was identical to what played out, the Jets win.

the Jets offense was equally as bad in the first half as the D, and are equally at fault for that loss. but to point out how the offense played better in the second but ignore that the defense played equally as well is dishonest.

15. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Rex is not a head coach. He is the coordinator in chief. It seems like he just wants to hire an offensive coordinator who takes care of everything on that side of the ball.

Sparano couldn't fix the quarterbacks and now they went and got the man who worked under Sparano and did such a fine job in Buffalo to fix their QBs...

Once again, it is a hope and prayer that the offensive coordinator (who wasn't brought along with his old head coach) has some magic potion.

It doesn't scream good coach to me. It screams a guy who'd rather never think about one side of the ball.

Don't get me wrong, the guy can take steaming pile and turn it into a top ten defense, but as a head coach, he has many lessons to learn.

16. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

As I keep saying, the No. 1 source of the Jets circus is Rex.

You're coming off a 6-win season ( with a squad yiu calked the most talented you've ever been around) and have lost 7 starters on ur defense which to you is "the only part of the team that matters." Included in those losses is the guy you have touted as the best player in the league. Maybe it's time to lay low and focus in keeping your job. But no, Rex wants to continue to ride his first 2 years and proclaim his greatness.

The coach sets the tone for the franchise and this is the state of the Jets. Run your mouth even when you're not even a competitive NFL team. Glad everyone's enjoying the show.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Here's my issue with Rex

He's a defensive genius so he should be able to break down every defense in the NFL and understand where the weaknesses lie and gameplan and build his offense around that with
    MM

Now I also don't mind the Rex runs the D, MM runs the O thing we got going on but there's no reason our offense should be this far behind the D after 5 drafts with Rex

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Rex is a an excellent defensive coach. He's a middling to poor evaluator of talent. He's a somewhat shaky head coach. That last part is due mostly to the second part.

19. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

More Rex bravado.
    If you're a good coach you don't need to tell everyone you are.

This will be the year he can prove it.

20. If by "big mouth" you mean boisterous,confident & outspoken you are right. But all this talk about him being overly controversial,disrespectful & inconsiderate to the game/opposition just isn't true.

I find his honest,realist approach refreshing.Again..why would anyone wanna see an NFL head coach do his best impression of a litigation lawyer? When Rex needs to be bland/non-commital he has his own way of doing just that.

I really don't see an issue w. how he handles the media.What i see are overly sensitive opposing fans looking for any excuse they can to persecute the Jets, & Jet fans who are afraid of their team losing.