Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Like I said before they didn't put the best offensive talent around Sanchez. But Sanchez poor play is not the organizations fault. The team was in win it all mode from 08-11, after 2010 the team knew they didn't have the draft picks or cap space to add talent. So they gambled on Sanchez taking the next step in 2011 to offset the lack of talent and hold the fort until the team was able to build up the talent level. Unfortunately Sanchez regressed in 2011. Even with the lack of talent that doesn't excuse him being a bottom 5 QB. Sanchez supporters like to say he struggled because of the lack of talent. They like to say if he had better talent he'd play better. So if you give Kerley, and Gates, Cumberland, Reuland etc to Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Peyton etc that they'd become bottom 5 QB's? Even with the lack of talent he shouldn't be THAT bad.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If any of the QBs you listed were here, they would be better. That's not really a question. What is in question is whether or not those QBs with these receivers could legitimately have a shot at the Super Bowl. I think no. So then what? The pros of one of those QBs instead of Sanchez is that 1) QB is less of a concern from a personnel standpoint, 2) the games are a little more fun to watch, and 3) the Jets may be relevant in fantasy football discussions... asides from that, the Jets still would be competitively hosed.

Also, the guys you listed all took very different paths to being good enough to be considered for the list you made. Peyton walks in the door from the day he's drafted and is one of the elite NFL talents... that happens only once in a decade, if that. Brady was a guy no one saw coming, every team missed him for five straight rounds, total lightning in a bottle... that happens even less frequently than the Manning type. Rodgers didn't even play his first four years... Sanchez has now caught up to Rodgers in years in the league before Rodgers even got his first snap; advantage: Packers for good player development. Brees never would've made your list while he was with the Chargers. The reason he was able to go to the Saints and become what he is now is because the Chargers did a piss poor job of developing him, and many thought him a bust. Miami also passed on him... this is a guy who has won a Super Bowl and been top 5 in the NFL for a while now... you just don't let players like that go unless you don't know what you have.

I don't know if Sanchez will ever come close to replicating what Drew Brees has done since he left SD, in fact I doubt it, however Sanchez is still very young and his talent was never in question. The real question with Sanchez is what's going on inside his head and that's impossible for anyone to tell. If he's still fighting mentally, then there's a real shot that with a better team, the Jets can be competitive with him under center; he proved that in 2009 and 2010. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be the one the Jets win a Super Bowl with... look at San Francisco: it took them 7 years to get a winning season out of Alex Smith, however once they did they were competitive and in prime position to win a Super Bowl. They still ended up replacing him with someone better which is a good thing, and the Jets could do the same. The difference is, the 9ers were able to net two first round picks for their investment with a team that was already stacked, while if the Jets had cut Sanchez this offseason they would've been rewarded with a 12 million dollar cap hit for their investment. That's not sound business.

Considering the mistakes that have been made with this team the past few years, there is very little risk in trying to help Sanchez work through his problems. If he continues to regress or even just stays at the exact level of his play last year, then they can let him float away once it financially makes sense to do so. Until then, the Jets could still potentially get some return on that investment.

#442 xxedge72x, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

System. Not talent.

Schottenheimer should have been fired the day Sanchez was drafted.

You want a decent comparative example. Another poster brought it up to prove Sanchez sucks.

Look at Penningtons interception totals, pre,during and post Schottenheimer.

I note, said poster claimed Penny didnt throw picks at the same rate.... ironically enough, (because Sanchez has a better arm) sanchez actually had a better td/int ratio, than the more accurate Pennington.
    (*note, that excludes Sanchez rookie year, but in Years 2,3 he was still far greener than Pennington)
    Schottys system, breeds turnovers. Period. There is no rational argument otherwise..

#443 Hobbes3259, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. Hobbes3259

Two quick points, peyton was being trained to be an NFL QB from the day he was shat out of the womb. That counts for much. Like Beli breaking down film from the time he was 6. Sometimes lineage matters...

Sanchez may not (or may) follow the career arc of Brees...or Young, but the point here...is ..we dont know and there is plenty of evidence that points at the coaching/system not the player.

Both are items that changed for Brees and Young.

(ironically enough, who was Brees' QB coach, when he sucked so bad the Bolts spent a first rounder on Rivers...hmmmmm...am I sensing a pattern?)

5. xxedge72x

I'm on board with all of those ideas. They always say, particularly in the NFL, that you don't try to fit a round peg into a square hole and that's exactly what Schotty does. He's going to run his system no matter who the players are. Schotty's system is not fluid and dynamic, and that is why it is not particularly good.

6. The 1985er

With our defense you never know whether we could win a Super Bowl with any of the QB's I mentioned. Btw Brees was pretty damn good in SD in 2004 and 2005. But yes you're right QB's do take different paths to becoming successful. The point being is that we've never seen bottom of the league QB's come out of nowhere and be able to become consistently good QB's. I don't want this organization waiting around 7 years for Sanchez to be good. He's never been able to put it together consistently but I guess with his contract he'll get his one last chance. Hopefully Geno beats him out, and Sanchez is nothing but a mere backup in 2013.

Why do I wish that? Because I don't believe he'll ever improve to the point that he can lead us to a Super Bowl.

7. The 1985er

Pennington only had 1 full season under Schotty, and he was pretty solid that year. Pennington's arm was shot by the 2006 season. Still all in all Pennington never looked as bad as Sanchez even with talent comparable to the 2012 Jets. With a weaker arm and playing in Schotty's system.

8. xxedge72x

What time is OTAs today?

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Stop Hijacking threads

10. Hobbes3259

Stop. Penny was here two years. And both years, he was exactly +1 td/int. something that he only avcomplished under Schotty. His system breeds ints. Period.

P.s. who was directly coaching Drew Brees, when he sucked so bad the Chargers spent a number one pick, on Rivers.

Please. Just. stop.

11. Hobbes3259

Tell us about 02,03....? Brees was a bottom of the barrel QB.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bree bottom of the barrel years look like the years that Sanchez defenders say he was good in.

Specifically, Brees was the 24th ranked QB in 2002 and the 29th ranked in 2003. Sanchez was the 27th ranked QB in 2010 and the 23rd ranked QB in 2011.

Context is important.

And yes, Brees was a bottom of the barrel QB in those years. So was Sanchez.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and hobbes derails yet another thread with the same old arguments.
    can we please have 1 thread that does not turn into the sanchez sucks thread?

now back on topic. i predict winslow gets a contract tomorrow. reports were good yesterday and the year off could have helped the aches and pains heal properly

14. The 1985er

Winslow by himself improves the TE position. This way the other TE's can learn and develop at their own pace without having to be thrown in and forced to play a big role.

Hopefully Idzik brings in Braylon at some point in training camp or preseason.

15. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

yeah... well, I think he's signed Friday! Maybe, if if he's good today and tomorrow!

How do you like that peon?! (maybe if I turn something else into an ego fest it'll cancel out the other one?)

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I remember. If you were a defense you could just sit there and wait for Brees to throw you one.

17. xxedge72x

More reports of dropped passes on twitter today, including Hill in the endzone.

Our receivers really suck.

My father is actually at Florham Park today watching the practice and he sent me a text saying Sims Walker looks good.

Edit: Kerley and Cumberland with drops too.

18. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

Have him send you some pics to post here. I know we would all love to see Mark tossing the rock. :)

19. xxedge72x

He sent me some pics of Smith throwing but they are fairly blurry. The best pic I got was of the Dunkin Donuts truck outside of the facility.

20. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

* insert Rex joke here*