2014 is the year of the Quarterback

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Apr 28, 2013.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This.

_

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

I agree here, I think he's a little overhyped. Very rarely has he been asked to step outside his comfort zone due to the extreme talent around him. Alabama can beat almost anyone, no matter who's at QB. I do think he has more talent than McElroy, but I dont think he is a 1st or even 2nd round talent.

In order for him to even be in that discussion, he needs to show that he is a reason for success of the team, and not just another piece of the puzzle.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Not sure what mechanics your watching, but I consider him far from perfect. He throws off his back foot too often even when not under pressure. This causes his throws to float rather than to be driven into a window. He's great at the NCAA level, but that type of problem will haunt him in the pros if he does not fix it.

His arm strength does not appear to be near that of Matt Ryan, let alone some of the stronger armed NFL QBs. Sure he is 6-4, but I see his mechanics as so-so, his arm as decent at best, but his does seem to be a very good leader with a good head for the game.

I think you need to take of the fan blinders and watch him more closely. Geno threw 6 picks last year in 200 more attempts, 3 picks in 300 is good, but its not like it is unheard of. He is in a system that does not rely on him to make tons of plays. He does not throw often and has the best defense, oline and running game in football to lean on. Right now he is little more than a game manager on a juggernaut of a football team.

4. JStokes

Disagree, disagree, disagree.

I am not an AJ or Alabama "fan"--I am a Cuse alum so most college football I see is Big East. I think AJ looks like the prototypical drop-back style QB who has the size, arm, intelligence, makeup and mechanics to excel in the pros.

And you can't look at what Geno did and compare it to what AJ did in the SEC. I like Geno but he beat up on awful teams early in the year and came back to earth against good teams. James Madison? Marshall? Baylor?

AJ's failing is that he's on a powerhouse team--I hope they let him throw it a bit more this year.

All just opinion, so we'll see how it plays out.

And you're wrong about one thing--Matty Ice's arm was really weak when he came out. I saw him a LOT :lol:

_

#124 JStokes, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  5. laxin

laxin Active Member

^You are not the number 3 overall pick with a "really weak arm"... just sayin

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I agree with this. His extreme talent around him is a drain on his stock because, as laxin said, Bama can beat most teams with almost anyone at QB. McCarron does have good numbers, but they also have one of the best rushing attacks and offensive lines in college football. It's an easy spot for a QB, and he's not an elite talent when you just look at him.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

McCarron = Ken Dorsey

8. JStokes

His arm-strength was his biggest knock coming out. I saw him a lot in college--did not have an adequate arm by any measure but he seems to have gotten stronger since coming to the NFL. And remember, they were trying to move on from the Mike Vick mess.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/19927-nfl-draft-why-matt-ryan-was-a-risky-pick-for-atlanta

Matt Ryan was without question the best quarterback in the draft, but that doesn't necessarily translate into being a great NFL quarterback.

Ryan was the best player at the highest profile position in this particular draft class, thus making him more of a hot commodity than his actual talent on the field should have indicated.

Ryan's arm strength has been continuously questioned throughout the NFL Combine and various workouts.
    Ryan also threw a large number of interceptions at Boston College.

His somewhat weak arm, along with his tendency to be reckless with the football, could be a formula for a very large number of interceptions in the NFL. That's not something you want from your franchise quarterback.

Ryan could very well work out for the Falcons and be a legitimate franchise player for them. But he was a risky pick for the team.

The Falcons got their player for the front of their 2008 media guide, but it might have been at a cost that this struggling franchise really cannot bear

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

_

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you're all-in on a QB and doing everything you can to assure his success you will get a good performance out of most of the guys you go all-in on. The player has to be actively sabotaging (purple drank, uncontrolled fits of rage in the locker room, dog fighting, etc) in order to make an all-in bet on him a bad idea.

Whether the good performance is enough to get you over the top is another question. Colt McCoy could have been a very serviceable NFL QB, just an unlikely Super Bowl winner.

If you're not all-in on a guy then he has to be very good to get through that as a plus QB.