Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So, in a nutshell, we seem to agree on nearly every point. I do agree that Hayden Smith has to show he belongs. (Or he's taking the highway.) Cumberland - I don't think he stays. If he does not even know a blitz when it hits him squarely between the eyes, you do have to wonder if that kid has the necessary mental capacity in the first place.

As for Barnes and Landry, like I have said above, this year is their audition year. If they prove, they get to stay for 2 more years, so Jets can use that window to groom their replacements with project picks. If they flat out fail, Jets will be forced to invest high picks on each of the position.

Cro/Milliner/Wilson are pretty good - that I agree. Just it happens so that, you never get through the season with 3 good CBs. With the league emphasizing the passing more so nowadays than ever before, you need a good quality top 3, and decent depth afterwards. I do not think Jets have that decent depth. If any of the three takes injury hit or say, if they need a short breather, Jets are fucked. That was what I was referring to, when I mentioned Jets CB spot is also shaky somewhat.

As for Ferguson and Mangold - they couldn't stay if their dead money weren't so serious. I never believed any franchise serious about contending could shell out multiple 10M contracts on OL, and Jets OL has two already. (One such contract is one too many, if you ask me.)

#241 Zach, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Why is Hayden Smith "gone" if he doesn't produce? That sounds like reactionary hysteria to me.

He's a foreign born player subject to 3 years of protection on the practice squad--no one can poach him, he doesn't count towards the 53 man roster if we don't activate him and he's not being paid anything.

He's been an NFL player for less than 2 years--he clearly is a physical specimen--incredible size and speed and looks like he can catch.

If it takes the full 3 years to develop him--and we have him for another year--with another year of NFL training and practice--what's to say he can't become a productive player?

I don't understand this mentality--let's cut a guy that could become a future player but has no impact on the roster in 2013--but because he has not yet developed and doesn't produce THIS YEAR he must be gone?

_

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Holmes cap hit is 11.2 million, how is that expendable?

4. JStokes

When anti-everything Jet hysteria trumps logic.

_

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

For 2014 its 10.75 million and if cut we save 8.25 of that on the cap. Id say he is very likely to be gone unless he proves to be a leader and just as good as before his injury, and even then he is going to have to restructure.

6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Haven't you learned yet? Surprising.

I will repeat just for you.

DO. NOT. FEED. THE. TROLL.

7. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yup. And they are going to need that money to pay Sanchez :wink:

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hayden Smith is 28 already. It's not like he's a 24 year old project player. If he doesn't show anything this year the Jets have absolutely zero incentive to put further resources into developing him.

Next April 10th he's 29 years old. If he's still a project at that point he's most likely gone.

He's a Mike Tannenbaum legacy at this point. None of those guys have long shelf lives absent production.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Yeah, that 22 mil per year is going to be hard to pay

10. JStokes

So why didn't you just say everything Tanny did needs to be undone regardless of rationale?

Everything.

I don't care if Smith is 34--if he has talent and can produce in the future and IT COSTS US NOTHING in terms of roster spots and $$, why NOT keep him around?

Serious question.

BTW, it's not your money, you know.

_

11. JStokes

Btw, non-running backs can be productive well into their mid-to late 30s--especially someone who has NO tread on his tires.

Hayden Smith is younger than Brandon Weeden for crissakes.

Tony Gonzalez--not comparing him to a sure fire Hall of Famer--is 38.

:lol:

_

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with Br4 and Zach
    Unlike years past were we over extended contracts to players with good but not great performance this regime will err in the side of caution.
    Marginal players that do not show performance levels comparable to their status and position will be gone in 2014. Holmes for one. Hill will have to step it up considerably, so is Sanchez, and even Harris.
    Players than do not show the capability to become immediate starters or at least strong situational players will be gone in a heart beat by pre-season. Hayden Smith and Ducasse either find their way into the playing field a lot or they might be casualties too.

It's an exciting time for the rookies this year to steal the day and out seat the vets for the 52 man roster. There are only in MHO a handful of locked positions, of course cap hit non withstanding.
    Competition is King.

13. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its not like he has "NO" tread on his tires... He did play rugby before football, and Im pretty sure that counts for something... Its hitting people without pads.

14. JStokes

He didn't play major college football for 3-4 years, he hasn't played in the NFL for the past 8 years--I'm sure rugby is rough but I think it's probably as comparable as badminton is to major international tennis.

Besides--he costs NOTHING in terms of roster spots or $$.

I get it, Tanny brought him in so he MUST suck and we MUST cut him.

Preferably now, amirite?

I mean why wait? The guy SUCKS! Tanny found him!!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH.

:breakdance:

_

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]PqIiCq2U2cI[/YOUTUBE]

Say that again?

His spot could be spent on some 'younger' prospect with real chance, no?

No? He must simply prove he belongs. Just like Gholston case. If he doesn't contribute, he must take a hike.

He's but one such experiment. Jets took a flyer on a OLB retread with reconstructed knee at one point. (Yes. That was also Tannenbaum move. He wasn't cut because Tannenbaum took a flyer. It was more or less because the said player couldn't contribute.)

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Lol. Well the guy does cost us a roster spot and that is valuable. If he doesnt prove worthy of the roster spot, what the hell is so reactionary and wrong about saying he could be cut? Not everything Tanny did was wrong and I guarantee everyone on this site would agree. Idzik has zero ties to Smith and its not his experiment. He's just like any other player at this point. If he can play, he'll stick, if not, he's cut. If you think people arent rooting for this guy too you are kidding yourself.

Just stop be an ass... amirite?

17. JStokes

Ok, once again, Hayden Smith does not count as a roster spot unless the Jets put him on the 53 man roster.

If they put him on the practice squad--he does not count against the practice squad.

Does not count.

Against the practice squad.

Or the active roster.

He is an international player--he does not COUNT against anything unless the Jets PUT him on the active roster.

NOT a roster spot OR a practice squad spot.

For three years.

The only way he hurts us if he prevents us from signing ANOTHER international player.

I get the Tanny hate, but let's be rational.

_

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I didn't know this ... good info. No reason to give up on him before that exemption is up.

19. JStokes

Exactly.

Or rather-- aaaaahhhhhhh the guy sucks-----Tanny signed him-----cut him now!!!!!!!

I get the Ducasse hate.

I don't get the sentiment that we need to cut Hayden Smith if he doesn't immediatley become a player.

We have time to spend on a talented project.

_

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Sanchez is due about 12 next year, plus the pro rate cap hit..,after the restructure for guarenteed money. 14.

Whats the 22 figure?