2014 is the year of the Quarterback

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

What's the bigger waste of time, talking about the upcoming draft in the draft forum, or dropping by the draft forum to bitch and troll about people talking about the draft in the draft forum?

If your going to be a non contributing piece of shit, just don't post, we won't miss you.

2. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Bridgewater or nobody in my opinion. The other QB's just don't do it for me. Manziel will get demolished trying to run like he does in the NFL. I still question his passing ability. Hopefully this year we will be able to see him air the ball out more. Tahj Boyd seems like a carbon copy of EJ Manual(not because he is black) and I do not think EJ is going to be successful in the NFL. AJ out of Bama is a game manager and nothing more. Alabama's success has come from that NFL defense. Should be interesting thought to see who really steps up and who regresses this college football season.

3. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

With all of that being said.. I hope we are not in the QB sweepstakes next year because I really want to see Geno succeed.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Interesting thought about Manziel just to throw this out there... He plays in the same system as Geno Smith did, so most likely, he will have to learn to play under center just like Geno. Honestly, I'd rather stick with Geno at this point and see what he has.

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Well, the good news is, if the bottom falls out, there should be 2-3 players that several teams would love to trade up for. Nobody wanted to trade up for Joeckel/Fisher, and Jordan didn't cost an overpay. Teams would overpay for Clowney for sure, and I would think at least one of these quarterbacks will become a major prospect to become a top prospect.

Really curious how many quarterbacks in this class end up being quality round 1 QB prospects.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If the bottom falls out and we are in position to draft clowney, you do it without hesitation. If its one of the QB's it's a much tougher call depending on what the staff feels about Geno.

Like many have said, this year people thought there were going to be 3 or 4 entering the draft. Johnson, Wilson, Barkley and Geno were all though of as first rounders coming in. Things change quickly the more scouts pick your game apart.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The big problem with Manziel is that a lot of his value is in his legs and he's not that big. He's probably got a much shorter shelf life in the NFL than we'd imagine right now. He will not be able to take a lot of NFL-caliber hits and stay on the field.

The rookie wage scale may keep him in college until his junior year. That would be by far the best option for him because he's going to need the extra year to develop his game some. He needs to be a mobile pocket passer when he hits the NFL not a read-option QB. As a read-option QB he's going to flame out really quickly.

Cam Newton is huge. RGIII is already showing us the downside of being a human-sized read-option QB in the NFL.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

If you're a projected top 15 pick, possibly higher, there's no way staying in school is BY FAR the best option. If you're worried about him getting hurt, shouldn't he come out now before he gets injured?

9. Br4d

The point I was trying to make is that before the rookie wage scale you had to come out if there was a real chance you were going to be a Top 10 QB. The money was just too much to ignore and so you had to declare if you were going to get drafted.

These days the money up top is still there but it's not obscene and unless you know you're going up top you're much better off going back to school and coming back the year after with a better draft position.

Mark Sanchez and Matt Barkley both made the right decisions but it only worked out for Sanchez and only because he got taken up high and got an obscene contract before he'd ever set foot on an NFL field.

Barkley wasn't going top 10 in the Luck/RGIII draft. Tannehill only went top 10 because Philbin went to the Fins and knew him and wanted him.

10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Next years class is much better than this years class--all just opinion of course--but there are at least 4 guys I'd take over any of the QBs this year--and I like Geno.

And I actually think McCarron is going to the best of the bunch--to me he's going to be the next Matt Ryan.

6-4, perfect mechanics, super accurate, smart, can read defenses, a fiery leader, just mobile enough to avoid the rush.

I think he gets overlooked as a "game-manager' too often because of the incredible talent on the field around him--an all-pro offensive line and superstud running backs.

But if they let the handcuffs off of him--I'm thinking he's going to be right there with Teddy B.

_

11. JStokes

You know what--before Russell Wilson I would have agreed with you--but Manziel is 2 inches taller than Wilson and will probably end up being heavier than Wilson when he gets to the pros. He'll be bigger than Wilson and Wilson seemed to hold up ok--at least for this year.

_

12. Br4d

Let's see how the read-option guys hold up under the pressure of getting hit a couple of hundred times a year by NFL players. I think the only guy that I see out there right now that can handle that kind of punishment is Cam Newton.

It's possible that a guy like Wilson or Manziel can handle the long-term consequences of playing with fast, quick, big guys hitting them all the time. It's just not all that likely.

Michael Vick comes the closest of the current QB's to the job description these guys will have and he's been injury-prone almost his entire career. Daunte Culpepper came the closest before Vick and he was retired by injuries, which btw is a rare thing for a QB recently.

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Tannehill and Barkley probably would have fought for that 3rd QB spot. I don't think Miami would have taken Barkley though, I think Mike Sherman's presence there did play a role.

If your point is that with the new rookie wage scale, the SECOND contract ends up becoming the big moneymaker, I agree. Staying in school and becoming a better player may make the difference for some. Being drafted top 10 is obviously less important now.

It's funny you bring up Sanchez though because he actually DID get that 2nd contract. And some young QBs will get that second contract because they've shown some flashes but hadn't quite broken out. The Ravens had that question with Flacco this season, and they didn't give him the big contract until after he proved his worth. The Jets gave Sanchez an extension because they felt he was still on his way to being the long-term answer.

14. Br4d

I think Mike Tannenbaum gave Sanchez the extension because he didn't know what else to do at that point. The Jets obviously wanted Peyton Manning but Peyton didn't want them. The flirtation with him never became public because the Jets knew that would blow up in their faces.

I think by the time the Peyton chase was over Tannenbaum was kind of at the end of his rope. He knew the roster was crumbling. He probably had an inkling at that point that Sanchez wasn't the answer. He also knew that if Sanchez wasn't the answer he was probably going to get fired after 2012. He doubled down on Sanchez and hoped it would work out.

He'd already doubled down on Holmes and Hunter. He was in the process of doubling down on Pouha, albeit in a contract that would be easy to escape.

I think he just didn't know what else to do. So he made sure the QB was going to be there at an affordable price moving forward if he worked out in 2012.

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I feel the exact opposite. I see him as a QB without any elite physical tools that gets over rated because of team success. He has good accuracy and a good mind for the game, but an average arm, average feet, and average mobility. He is not a dual threat at all and will need to make a living in the pocket picking apart defenses. He's not the type of QB that should go anywhere near the first round, and not long term starter material at the next level.

16. Br4d

One of the interesting things about McCarron last year is that he started hitting the deep throws with real consistency. It wasn't a huge sample size and he only hit 38.6% of his passes over 20 yards in 2011 but if he continues to punish drawn-in defenses in 2013 it is really going to raise his stock a lot.

The NFL loves a deep passer who makes defenses pay for gambling and sending too many guys up into the box.

17. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

He throws a decent deep ball, which is more about accuracy and touch than arm strength. I worry about him trying to get the ball to the sidelines in the 5 to 15 yard patterns at the NFL level. His lack of arm strength means a normally small window can be snapped shut before the ball gets there. I call it Chad Pennington syndrome :)

He has more value than McElroy did coming out, but how much? He is not a difference maker or an elite athlete. He is more Christian Ponder than Adam Luck right now. He is a guy who can maybe get it done, but its a big maybe to me.

18. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

This thread will be either an epic failure or gold mind

all depends on how Geno plays

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

:jets: :up:

20. JStokes

I guess we'll agree to disagree in most part.

He clearly is not a dual threat guy--but that's not what I want in my QB. I want the next Matt Ryan and that's pretty much what AJ is. Or Eli with almost Eli's arm-strength.

He has PERFECT mechanics, his footwork is just fine, he steps up to avoid sacks--he is SUPER accurate (3 INTs in a college season is just crazy--I don't care how good his line or the talent around him is) and he has a MUCH stronger arm that Matty Ice when he came out of BC. I saw Ryan play alot in college and he had a pretty weak arm.

Give me a 6-4 guy with a very good arm, perfect mechanics, super accurate and can read defenses and I'll be happy.

Oh, and he's going in the first round. McElroy isn't 1/10th the QB AJ is.

_