Offseason OTAs & Minicamp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, May 22, 2013.

1. Lehtonen

Lehtonen New Member

He can hold a candle, he just can't stop fumbling it or tossing it to the other team.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Garrard was probably the rational bridge between Sanchez and whatever QB they brought in for the future.

The fact that we heard leaks before day two of the draft makes me think they were looking for an answer other than Sanchez on day one.

Rex seems to have realized that his expertise is better spent on defense, although he has already learned that ignoring the offense is a fail.

I've gone on record that I don't think that Geno is the answer. I hope that a competition between him and Sanchez yields the answer.

But I am not sold.

I think the real answer lies in the 2014 draft. In a first round pick.

But I'll forego that if one of these guys pills out a serious effort for starter.

As a fan, and as an analyst, albeit amateur, I need convincing. And no deliberately manipulative statistical arguments, such as some of the ones you have been providing, will ever convince me.

3. laxin

laxin Active Member

Do you know what BPA means? and the logic behind it? I mean apparently not.

4. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Butt fumble is still the worst of the worst. The historic play was last thanksgiving.. But lets still start the Sanchize He'll For sure make people want to buy tickets and win games!!!
    Embarrassing...

5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

"Those silly fans think our boy who hasn't had a proper system sucks! they won't buy tickets unless they get fooled into believing we're going with anything else but the man we know will succeed.

Lets give a fake QB competition narrative by putting a frail ass man we know will never see a game on our team. He'll get injured eventually (or will otherwise always be a risk for getting injured), so they'll turn tail and run once they realize Sanchez is the only real answer.

After all the only reason we signed him in the first place was to quell those fans fears so once this brittle false answer we know will fail is gone they'll be right back to despairing and we will have done nothing but move in a roundabout toward the negative scenario we apparently tried to solve.

... theres something wrong with what I just said, but i can't put my finger on it...

6. Seriously. Do we need ANOTHER thread transformed into a qb debate? Why not use the 3 other threads already dedicated to it? There are other OTA related topics to discuss

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea. How's the punter competition going?

8. PuMa

PuMa Banned

You and every other new comer really don't have anything else to say but bring up the butt fumble ?i mean seriously since you been here that play is on ALLL of your posts almost. Does it fill your fetish ? Calm down it has nothing to do with OTA's therefore shouldn't be discussed here damn it

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Sanchez plays this year that 2014 decision is going to be a very tough one for the Jets to make. They'll have to have written off Geno Smith to go all-in on a 1st round QB next year.

Sanchez will have likely left the picture due to his fifth year in a row of subpar play but Smith will be on the roster and the Jets will have no idea if they should effectively give up on their 2013 2nd round pick or if it would be better to go get a playmaker for him in the 1st round.

If Geno Smith plays then the decision is much easier because the Jets will know what they have with him and it will be a no-brainer one way or the other.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Doesnt sell as many papers, as stirring up shit :mad:

11. Hobbes3259

Yeah, you left out the fact, that for instance, both Kevin Kolb, and !Matt Flynn Were available, one played with Marty, the ofer was familiar to Idzik. Both familiar witht he WCO.

They brought in a 35 year old, that hadnt seen a regular season snap, since 2010.....

Yeah, thats competition.

Now, if you want to argue, they KNEW theyd get Geno all along, thats a different issue.

(ps, and dont even go the bogus cost route. Because when the jets did clear cap room, the first hysteria among the haters was they were...:rofl2:...doing it to cut Sanchez.)

But hey...that is what happened. You cam remain in Denial, but...those are the moves that were and were not made.

#191 Hobbes3259, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Again with Flynn and Kolb Comments, jets cap even with Gerrard at 1M was almsot at CAP limit, they couldn't afford Flynn at 3M a year plus bonuses or Kolb at 6M. Especially if they cut or traded Sanchez. Neither Flynn nor Kolb were financial options this year.

As for Geno, we've discussed that as well, and most of it is documentable, at least as far as anything of that nature is, especailly regarding the Jets trying to move up in round 2 to get Geno.

13. Hobbes3259

BPA, is...sort of a misnomer. Even applying it literally, doesnt really help your argument.

Most Valuable Player available is a little more accurate....There is a confluence between athletic talent, and need...you dont reach for a need pick, but....if you have a need, that factors into the decision.....

And...apparently, the Jets believed that QB was such a position of need, that yet another first round corner, another first round Def Lineman, was more valuable to the team....

(or do you seriously mean to say....that if, for example...a center was the BPA at 9 or 13, the jets were going to waste a first round pick, on a guy that couldnt unseat Mangold?)

So, at 9, the difference between Milliner rather than Kyle Wilson playing across from Cromartie, was more important than upgrading your QB position....(could have gone Richardson,Smith, CB)

But that wasnt the case.

But hey you're right. Idzik bet the teams future on being lucky. :beer:

14. 1968jetsfan

Perhaps, but as i said in my reply if Bohanan does make the team then it means one of the other RB's don't, which is possible. The Jets won't carry 5 RB's. My guess is if he does make the team, and Goodson doesn't lose his job due to legal issues, then It would be Powell that gets kicked, McKnight has too much special teams value and Powell would be redundant in running style with Bohanan.

15. 1968jetsfan

Already addressed that, and you know it. jets knew the Bills were taking EJ so they went BPA, then tried, and failed, to move up in the 2nd round to take Geno..the buzz on day two was how the Jets were trying to trade up. Fortunately noone made a trade with the Jets as Geno fell anyways.

so yes, in a sense it was mastery of the draft that Landed Geno with the Jets, BPA available in the first round, BPA in the second.

As I've stated elsewhere the first QB taken isn't always the best, especially if the 1st QB isn't taken #1 or #2.

16. Hobbes3259

Fcol. They cleared cap space, AND WERE 12.1 mil under the cap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...ear-over-5-5-million-cap-space-190133947.html

Now you can keep pretending that they didnt have the space, but if they needed it it was there.

3mil a Year? Thats Goodson and Garrard. (roughly! And you still get Ivory) That in and of itself, should tell you where the priority was. Certainly not QB. Throw in Colon, youre now at 4.5 M. Are you seriously going to say, that if QB was the priority, they couldn't scratch out another 1.5?

They werent cutting Sanchez. Period. The Numbers dont work, nor does the logic.

#196 Hobbes3259, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  17. Hobbes3259

Getting a guy at 39, is ...luck. Not foresight...especially in this case.

You arent just fighting the Bills, (and saying the Jets knew they were taking EJ, is almost ludicrous....)...jags,Cards, etc....all could have used cheap, quality QB help.

My point isnt a knock on Smith. Its far more simple.

The Jets are lucky to have gotten him, and I think, he'll be a quality player.

My point, is...the created perception, that the Jets were seeking to upgrade the QB position, does not...in any way, square with their actions.
    . Especially not pre draft.

At the end of the day, Smith may give Sanchez a run for the money. May beat him...who knows.

But Garrard was never going to do that, and Smith, the minute he was drafted, was an upgrade over every QB on the roster not named Sanchez, and that is a fact....As for the Sanchez question...we will know soon enough.

18. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Very optimistic about Hayden Smith. The guy is huge and has speed, if he can actually catch and run routes the Jets could have something special. Glad Geno is looking decent early in OTA, if the Jets ditch Muck they could actually have a decent year.

As far as the Goodson situation goes, I think it could actually be a good thing. It might light a fire under his ass now that he knows he already has one strike against him. Time will tell.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Sounds like he might be coming along...

"Tight end Hayden Smith had the catch of the day. The Australian and former rugby player made a twisting, diving catch of a Sanchez pass in the middle of the defense. Smith looks much improved from last year, his first playing football."

link

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Me, too. If Hayden Smith pans out, it'll be one of Mike T's best moves.

The competition on the O-line was encouraging. I wish there was more info on Q's development at the OLB spot -- I mean, can he even drop back at all? Inquiring minds want to know!