Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jay

Is there a climate shift? I mean NY region got hit by hurricanes twice in the last 4 years and tornadoes are now much more effective etc.

Can we draw a conclusion from that?

How likely is it for us New York Metro people to see another Hurricane in a few years?

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I really believe there is a huge change in climate location going on and why? Im not one to blame man made global warming but I surely would not be one to condone those that think so.

The earth has gone through some major shifts in temps and areas being hit with things that were not totally possible a half century ago.

Again..not an expert at those types of things but here is one thing I know in our area. The ability for the dramatic has increased and I believe its because the couple degree swing in temps overall really can produce huge changes. Ocean temps being just a bit warmer to the south produces major changes up here to the north.

It also makes it more difficult for those that experience cold and snowy winters to get those cold and snow winters. I mean, look at a guy like CMAN who is in a prime snow area and Im sure he can tell you its just aint happening.

So again..to answer your question....warmer temps on the West Coast..the Gulf and the East Coast bring dramatic changes to the weather and how strong storms can be...and make normal strorms big storms..big storms huge storms..etc.

Not an expert..just going by history.

3. jaywayne12

The amazing thing is when they through out the 2 mile wide is the last report is was about 1.3 miles wide but it was the outer debris that thought by eye it was 2 miles wide...amazing. Sad..very sad.

4. jaywayne12

was going to post something about this but the news of the 3 veteran storm chasers that died in a tornado in Oklahoma is truly a sad day. Used to be guys riding around in junk cars with cameras but has turned into a huge business with major competition.

The reason it shouldnt surprise anyone and hopefully the competition backs off is this year....for the first time...videos were sent out earlier in storms with footage stating "storm chasers inside a tornado!" Incredibly that was accurate. They crossed the line and so the competition felt the need that a mile away was no longer any good to get that kind of footage. So guys crept closer and the footage coming from this last batch with debris banging the windshield and surviving meant that someones days were numbered.

Crazy crap these guys do just to get video...and the Moore, Ok. storms were the start of some of the best footage ever of a tornado.

Stupid? Perhaps...but in any field you have the pressure of getting the best shot..and this field is a very very dangerous hobby.

Huge storms moving through overnight and bam..say goodbye to the hot weather for at least the next 7-10 days.

Hope all is well with everyone!!

5. jaywayne12

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

Tropical Storm Andrea adding to the big amounts of rain we have gotten the past few weeks...

Supposed to drench the whole east coast...

#3706 deathstar, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

well Jay,that is one short ass offseason for you. Here comes Andrea! Were under warning here in coastal SC.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yep....... gonna be a rainout here. 2-6" I expect flooding in many NE FL areas, as we've already had ALOT of rain..... potentially my house. Hopefully she picks up forward speed

9. jaywayne12

yeah..andrea is going to just hug the coast...2-5 inches of rain up here...taking the exact path of a typical strong noreaster...exact path. Takes the center over L.I. but less wind..probably in the 20-25 range..but A LOT of rain.

10. jaywayne12

Yep S....it takes off....by tomorrow afternoon, the center is in VA and by Saturday pass L.I. PANTS DOWN..me.

Didnt even see this coming until 2 days ago. I accept the fine and move on..no more being caught with the pants down.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

as it got closer we actually had less rain...... circulation center expanded and the big rain band pushed offshore to our east. Probably had 3"

12. jaywayne12

I will tell you this..looking at the radar, north jersey and the city is about to get clobbered from around 8 until midnight. South Jersey is getting hit hard now with rain. Central Jersey in the next half hour.

At least it clears out with a great weekend...but getting the flood boots ready for tonight.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It's gonna throw off the fishing for a bit I think on the Jersey Coast.

14. jaywayne12

and it continues for this region cman...another very unusual storm for this time of the year will hit Thursday/Friday with the potential for 2-4" of rain with some local areas receiving 5" or more. Very bizarre storms for this time of the year.

With the ground so saturated from last Friday storm and even more rain yesterday....flooding should be a major issue come Friday morning.

15. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

This storm will effect US GOLF OPEN

16. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

the word is "affect"

17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Jay, I'm not seeing any cyclonic movement for the storm front on the radar. Do you think the current system over West Virginia/Virginia will keep going straight to the coast or will it come north to jersey?

18. jaywayne12

Man..sorry GG...havent been checking in too much lately and never saw this so Im going with it hit us? lol..sorry about that.

Tropical Storm Chantal is something to keep an eye on. Although the strength never really gets geared up...it has a classic up the coast look come Saturday. Now usually when you see a cone like the link shows...they tend to get picked up by a cold front and eventually goes out to sea.

I will check out the boards and models and see what it does after the link below.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT03/refresh/AL0313W5_NL+gif/204055W5_NL_sm.gif

I will say this...this trend of storms doing this has been established with Sandy...and these storms need to be watched until a trend back to the Gulf takes place.

19. jaywayne12

After checking the models and spaghetti charts on this...MOST models have it running about 150 miles of the coast of Florida and shooting straight north before going west/northwest and making landfall as a tropical storm anywhere from Jacksonville,FL to central N.C.

Will keep an eye on it.

SEE POST BELOW..WENT TO ADD TO IT AND THOUGHT I NEVER POSTED IT. OOPS..IM RUSTY.

#3719 jaywayne12, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  20. jaywayne12

after checking the models and spaghetti charts...this thing hugs the Florida coast about 150 miles off the coastline and rides due north...then makes a west/northwest jog and makes landfall anywhere between Jacksonville, FL to central N.C.

Never actually gets to hurricane status but riptides and beach erosion along with heavy rain starting late Thursday for south/central FL and Friday for Georgia/S.C/N.C.

Will keep an eye out. These off the coast storms usually take lives with riptides and hopefully people respect what they can do.