The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. L3JET

L3JET Active Member

Unbelievable, all the haters are throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks! I’m confused, Ryan Leaf was the #2 overall pick by the San Diego Chargers. Geno Smith fell to Day 2 of NFL Draft, to New York Jets. where is the comparison? Ryan Leaf turned into one of the biggest busts in league history. Geno Smith hasn’t taken a single snap in the NFL yet! How the hell do they compare the #39 overall pick to the #2 overall pick?

No, no, no, they don't want to compare him to Rodgers demeanor on draft day. They want to compare him to the #2 overall pick that was the biggest busts in league history. Of course, what else should the Jets fan expect... lol

I'm sick of all these stupid opinions/unanimous source...

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

BeastBeach, imo, you raise a great point. Unfortunately, by adding "sounds pretty racist to me," you touched a nerve because people are so sick of political correctness.

Read Beach's comment again without the commentary, and ask yourself: WHY, in this person's mind, does Smith have to be the "black" Leaf? Why can't he just be the "next" Leaf? Seriously.

I'm not mad, I'm just bewildered. Why invoke race in the original comment? For what purpose? It creates a divide where none exists, and it completely derails the conversation.

It's like, if Ryan Leaf had a roundish head, and Geno had a squarish head, the comment would be, "He's the square-headed Leaf," and we'd be like, Why the fuck are you talking about the shape of his head? Who cares?

This is the exact same thing!

And now, instead of talking about Leaf v. Smith, we're talking about race. It's annoying as hell, but it's reality, and the only way to move past the PC bullshit is to see how we get tripped up like this.

In conclusion, Jetsons, the person you should be calling an IDIOT is Stephen A's buddy. HE'S the one who brought up race for absolutely no reason.

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Steve A Smith has as much integrity as Skip Bayless and rajenson088. Not a fucking shred of it.

4. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Is it weird that I'm kinda happy teams may have passed on Geno because of his attitude and not because of his talent?

I'd like to think that attitude can be fixed and he can get better at it. I remember when Sanchez first came on, everyone loved his attitude, about how he wanted to unite all the WRs and get on the same page and all. Infact, that was probably the reason why we were so enamored with him to trade up, saw the guy has having the great personality for NY, and look how that turned out.

I sort of like that Geno might think of himself pretty high, because it motivates him to do better, and not just take it easy. If he can perform at a high level, I couldn't care less if he was cursing out every reporter on the beat. Infact, at this point, I'd be encouraged.

The race card is played by the media, because it gets hits.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Coulda called him a black Mark Sanchez.

That would sting...

6. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Steven A. Smith is the black Steve Serby.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think he was talking about draft position. Leaf was mentally unable to cope with the position he was in. He was a head case. I think that is what the comparison means

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

stephan a smith is the biggest asshole dipshit of all media asshole dipshits out there.

they should take him and tank and tim mccarver and bill walton and lock them in a room with no food.

and he is a racist... and an idiot.... and an asshole. fuck him.

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Peyton Manning was one of the greatest prospects coming out of college all time and there was lots of debate over whether Leaf would be better than him.

Sports Illustrated Pre-Draft Article 1998:

Here's something else Leaf might not believe: The weight of opinion in the NFL now says that Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning is the clear choice, ahead of Leaf, as the No. 1 pick in the draft, which will be held on April 18 and 19. In the wake of a meteoric Rose Bowl season that sent his pro stock soaring, Leaf became a sort of joint entry with Manning. Discussion of one player rarely passed without mention of the other. There was little doubt that Manning and Leaf would be the top two draft picks; the issue was which would be selected by the Indianapolis Colts, who will choose first, and which would end up with the San Diego Chargers, who have the second selection.

This is how big Leaf was in college and with the NFL as a prospect. So there is absolutely no comparison between Leaf and Geno at this stage in their careers.

Not to mention, Leaf has exploded on reporters, teammates and coaches on numerous occasions, something Geno has NEVER done. Leaf was not a "diva." He was a punk with an anger management problem. Geno has no such traits. We have 3 years of footage on the guy and never once do we see him going at anyone. And his senior year he played with one of the most firebrand, vocal, get in your face coaches in the NCAA. So people just need to chill. This cell phone thing should be read like this:

"22 Year Old Makes Mistake On Job Interview."

A diva comes with an entourage. A diva makes outrageous demands to a team that has not even drafted him yet. A diva holds press conferences to announce where he's taking his talents. A diva appears in rap videos the week of the draft sitting on the hood of a Bentley with 5 women around him. Did Geno do any of this? No.

The media is just all over NYJ for anything possible. It's just easy fodder for stories. We have to support our guy until he gives us actual reason not to. Even if the "great" Stephen A. Smith who doesn't even watch college football disagrees.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Would anyone be surprised if Stephen A. Smith is quoting Mike Pettine?

11. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I made this exact point yesterday or the day before. I couldn't be more happy that the root problem this disparaged prospect has is his attitude.

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

LOL!! Hilarious.

13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Me too. I'll happily take the NCAA leader in TDs and efficiency who happens to like to use his cellphone on job interviews.

14. L3JET

L3JET Active Member

Gotcha, I just read the original thread. This is all starting to feel like piling on. Hard for a guy to defend himself when the accuser hides behind "anonymity."

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Geno is black?

16. ncjetfan

ncjetfan Member

The media is toxic and the bitch on NFL network in the morning is constantly running her mouth as well.

Would love to see Geno beat out our shitty qb.

#1076 ncjetfan, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  17. RKO

RKO New Member

Hey, at least he's not a Black Mark Sanchez. Boy would that suck!

18. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

Ryan Leaf, last year in college:

55.4 Completion percentage vs. Geno at 71.2
    11 interceptions (one every 37 throws) vs Geno at 6 (one every 86 throws)
    Negative 86 yards rushing vs Geno at 151 yards rushing.

Ryan Leaf failed because he was over-rated for his arm.

Infact, his numbers are more closer to:

Mike Glennon.

58 percentage completion.
    17 interceptions (one every 33 passes)
    Negative 164 rushing

It wasn't like Ryan Leaf lit up the college scene and then failed because of his attitude. He failed because scouts fell in love with his arm, and downfield throwing ability. When CBs and safeties in the NFL started to pick off those passes, he had nothing left. He had a bad attitude, but it wasn't like his WRs were just stopping in the middle of their routes because they didn't want him to get a completion. He was over-rated as a prospect to begin with. Same thing with Drew Henson in those days as well, scouts fell in love with the arm.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

"incredibly connected" is a strange term to use. I assume he meant something else. If he really meant incredibly connected then his source is one of maybe a dozen people and none of them would be sticking their beak in this because if they got outed they'd be in deep doo-doo.

20. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member