Jake Steinberg: Coples now OLB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by YOYOYO, May 1, 2013.

1. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

There are numerous posts in this thread about how our defense has already moved beyond a rigid definition of "3-4". Do yourselves a favor...find them, read them, and get excited.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

It definitely doesn't like it's going to only be "on occasion".

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/22986/coples-ready-to-make-linebacker-switch

3. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

1. Gholstons postion change had nothing to do with his performance..he couldn't even play special teams

2. For everyone freaking out about his size to play lb...please look what the texans did with Mario willams in the 3-4

3. Just because he's listed as a olb doesn't mean he will cover ppl... What's the diff between rushing standing up and with the hand in the dirt

4. Coples was rushing standing up in some plays last year stArting from the jaguar game to the end of the year

4. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It was the opposite with Gholston. They moved Gholston from OLB to DE. Apples to oranges, bro. Yeah though, Rex really knows nothing about defense. Good thing there's guys out there like you to show him how it's really done.

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's nothing at all like Gholston. RR inherited Gholston from a previous regime, and tried to find a spot where he'd work. Coples has been scouted by RR and his staff personally, they know where he can and can't play.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Bryan Thomas made the switch at 6'4 and 266 lbs although he wasn't drafted to make the switch it just happened years later when the Jets went 3-4.

Calvin Pace made the switch at Arizona at 6'4" 265 lbs.

I'm guessing that Coples is going to lose 10 lbs or more in making the switch if the Jets are serious about it. It's hard to move 285 lbs in space without having something break down eventually.

8. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Bottom line: Rex has a lot of toys to play with. I could definitely see Kurt's point of putting him out there to set the edge. Richardson could probably do that, too, but I don't know if I trust him there as a rookie.

I still expect his hand to be on the ground more often than not.

9. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'm under the impression that he will be a part-time OLB, part-time DE. I wouldn't want to see Coples roaming in coverage.

Shaun Ellis played 4-3 and 3-4 DE at 285-290, and did it effectively. It comes down to technique. IIRC Ellis played some OLB in 09/10 as well.

Adalius Thomas played 4 different positions for RR in Baltimore. I think Rex views Coples in the mold of an Adalius Thomas.

10. Br4d

Adalius Thomas was kind of a unique athlete though. 6'3" 270 and he ran a 4.56 at the NFL combine in 2000. Then didn't get drafted until the 6th round.

The wiki says he actually saw action at CB in 2005 for the Ravens. That must have been something to see.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

uhhh....... you mean Mangini's project? Rex tried to stick him everywhere including DE to try and get something out of him. Much like the above post, Unfortunately you can't fix "Sucks".

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He says in that ESPN piece that he expects to play between 280-285..I think the Jets may want to change that.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The key to this whole change is going to be Coples' ability to get to the QB. It will be interesting to see if he has the speed to be an effective pass rusher. The strength and length are non-issues as he has plenty of both. His speed off the edge will be key.

14. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

It shows what a risky pick Richardson is, because for the pick to be successful, not only does Richardson have to succeed, but Coples has to make a successful transition to OLB. Otherwise, they will be left with a logjam or have stunted Coples' growth as a DE.

But if it all works out, it will be spectacular... I'm just surprised the pick was Richardson and not Lotulelei.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nonsense..Lotulelei can play one position and only one position. Richardson and Coples can both play multiple. Richardson was by far the better decision for Ryan's Jets.

16. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

This is interesting. And while I am concerned about Coples playing in open space I'm sure on passing downs it'll be him, Richardson, Wilk, and Barnes chasing after the QB which is exciting.

17. Br4d

It really depends on who he lines up against and in what slot. If he's lining up in the 9 and going against an OT the odds are low he winds up with a bunch of sacks. If he lines up in the 3 and goes against a G he has a chance to be a double digit guy.

My guess is the Jets are going to line him up all over the place.

#117 Br4d, May 3, 2013
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Multiple fronts are the key to Ryan's defense.

19. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Coples led the Jets in sacks with 5.5 and only took half the snaps, to have him drop weight and move positions seems really stupid, especially since it took him the lion's share of the season to seem like he even had a clue. I can see Coples taking many steps back.

20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

bingo....the front 7 is full of hybrids.