The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I hope this first week of him being on the team isn't a pre-cursor for how his entire tenure is going to be. If so it may end up being a pretty short stay in NY.

I just can't believe that all of these reports knocking him are some conspiracy to either sabotage his career or all black QBs. There's got to be some truth to it. If it was just one nutbar going off on him that's one thing but when it's frequent reports that says something to me.

2. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about Geno and being a 2nd round pick. If he's not working out the club isn't tied to them like they were with Sanchez after A) moving up in the draft to get him and B) paying him a boatload of money as the #5 pick. Sanchez inked a 28 million dollar deal to sign with the Jets..the team HAD to stay with him regardless, they were too deeply invested in him. Geno on the other hand is a 2nd round pick in the new era of a rookie wage scale. The Jets didn't move up to get him and they won't be financially tied down to him as he'll likely get a 4 year deal worth around 4-8 million overall, give or take abit.

In other words even as early as next year if the Jets have a shot at say a Bridgewater, for example, there is nothing stopping them from taking him. They simply aren't heavily comitted to Geno. On the other hand if Geno is playing lights out it lets them choose, assuming the proper draft position, a player like Clowney (though if Geno is playing lights out the Jets won't be in a position to draft a player like Clowney.).

Much ado about nothing.

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree with what you've said the issue is still it being a waste of a relatively high pick. There were a lot of areas of need that we could have addressed with that pick but went with Geno. If it's a completely failed experiment and we just end up drafting a QB to replace him next year then that was just flushing away a top 40 pick. You can't be a successful franchise if you just flush away high picks like that all the time.

I know it's a risk/reward scenario. The worst case risk being you burned a 2nd round for someone you have to replace next year, the high end reward being you've drafted a future franchise QB you can build your team around. In those two simple scenarios it is obviously worth the risk. The issue for me is that there are too many warning signs that he's not going to be a franchise QB. Between the bad tape and now apparently all of these issues with his character it doesn't look good, they couldn't have known it all before the draft but it's their job to do their research and whatnot to figure this stuff out.

4. NFL

NFL Active Member

God I can't wait for the season to start so Geno could (hopefully) shut everybody the fuck up.

5. BleedGreenDaily

You better hope he is riding the bench for at least this whole season.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

When I watch the Gruden interview I don't get the impression being reported about Geno at all. He is listening, taking notes, responding intelligently to questions and repeatedly saying "yes sir".

Granted that's only a very small sample where he knew he was on TV, but he also knew he was interviewing with potential future employers before.

I have to wonder if these reports aren't from someone who has a reason to be biter.

7. BleedGreenDaily

I would believe this if Geno didn't stick his foot in his mouth a few times already. I don't buy into anything Gruden that is a TV show where shit is scripted and can be cut and redone.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Funny thing, I don't buy into anything you have to say because it is obviously all negative about the Jets. I'm 99% sure you're a troll Bills fan.

9. BleedGreenDaily

Or maybe b.c you just hate on people that don't agree with you. I am sure you have bothered to read everything I posted. You still mad that I was happy to see Tebow go?

I won't change my opinion on we should have never of drafted Geno just to make you like me. That is like calling me a Bills fan for hating Sanchez, lots of Bills fans if you think that way then.

#829 BleedGreenDaily, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Personally I love low character guys who have a ton of talent and want to play. The Jets only SB came with a drunk at QB. The Giants built 2 SB around a coke addict.

This is America, low life's with talent get to make the big bucks if they can actually perform when the lights come up.

I couldn't care less if he's dumb or arrogant or has bad taste in clothes. If he can strap it on and play at a high level I'm all in.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

QB was the greatest position of need for the Jets and they got the #1 rated QB in the draft. whether he performs to expectations is irrelevant to whether they got value from that pick while addressing their greatest need. the Jets did in drafting him.

12. BleedGreenDaily

QB is the one place where that actually is a negative. Give me asshole LB's but not the QB.

13. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

manish "anonymous source" mehta is at it again:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-behavior-raises-eyebrows-article-1.1332544

14. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

QFT.

At this point, it doesn't matter to me where Smith was drafted and this off-the-field stuff matters even less. I don't care if he was a Rhodes Scholar finalist or rain man. I don't care if lives on the the street or in a penthouse with shrines to himself. I don't care if he makes up awards for himself or builds statutes in his likeness. I don't care whether he's like Namath with the ladies or if he keeps an imaginary girlfriend.

As long as he works hard, practices well, and displays the talent he showed in college, Smith will get a chance one Sunday. And if he proves to be a gamer, then nothing in the prior paragraph will matter.

15. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

i feel like this had to happen at a visit for a team he just didnt want to be with. both the eagles and jets coaches both came out on their own accord to say that they loved him as a person and had great meetings with him.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think the reports on Geno firing his agent actually make the agency look worse than they do Geno.

One side has taken the professional, business approach "I just want to go in another direction, it's not about any one thing" : Geno

The other side has publicity aired their dirty laundry to the media in hopes of making their former client look bad, out of spite : The agency

How does Geno come out of this with criticism? Sounds to me like he's handled it like a real professional. The Agency has handled it like a butt-hurt teenage girl. If I was a player there's no way I'd ever sign with Geno's former agency now as I will know if I ever decide to go in another direction they will go on a public crusade against me.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This is the logical analysis of the situation, but it doesn't sell papers or create web hits so ...

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LMAO

The media never ceases to amaze me. Of course this comes out with the Jets drafting him haha

Let's put two facts together: Geno smith fires agents and the next day "anonymous" sources are saying that he has severe character issues. Anyone else see the writing on the wall?

I don't give a shit if they say this kid has character issues. We will all find out that truth in due time. I honestly don't think Idzik, out of all people, would draft a guy with severe character issues. The way Idzik presents himself is superb, why would he take a kid with real problems of selfishness and not wanting to learn? Makes no logical sense.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He could be a second account also. But either way he is an issues troll and right now his issue is Geno Smith.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

This attack on Geno is getting a bit ridiculous. Fuckers from Daily News, Yahoo are such fucking pussies.

He fired his agent, who doesnt do that in the Sports industry? Let the kid step on the field and compete before blasting him.

I love how when we drafted the media was head over heels for darling Sanchez. With ESPN E-60 doing a mexican american QB piece, GQ magazine, etc...Next Broadway Joe. But Geno for a lack engaging with coaches it shows he lacks immaturity and he doesnt care.

Its pathetic way to look at it.

People dont have a problem with ultimate tuning out QB, Jay Cutler