Jake Steinberg: Coples now OLB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by YOYOYO, May 1, 2013.

1. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's a question for their scouting department. Jones was the best OLB prospect in the draft and was rated just as high as Richardson on most draft boards. Jones only went 4 picks later so it's not like he was a "whatever" prospect. Noone is saying the Jets should've drafted a player if he isn't any good. Rather draft the best prospect of equal ability to Richardson at a much bigger need area.

2. Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood New Member

I don't like this. It makes too much sense to just run the 4-3.

We'll have 2-3 guys playing out of position in the 3-4.

3. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

Let the professionals cook! You armchair coaches just watch!

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jarvis Jones is 50/50 to wind up at ILB for the Steelers. It's not their MO to draft an OLB to play OLB. They draft DE's and convert them to OLB. They draft OLB's and convert them to ILB. It's just what they do.

Their two OLB's right now are Lamarr Woodley and Jason Worilds, both converted DE's. Their ILB's are Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote both of whom were OLB's in college.

The Steelers like their players all to have the ability to rush the passer. Using college OLB's on the inside and DE's on the outside gives them a really strong rush out of their LB corps.

As to whether the Jets should have taken Jones or not on one of the two picks. He had a real medical issue they had to take into account and he also was not a fast player. The Jets had issues last year with team speed in the LB corps. While Jones may have been a fit in some ways he was not everything the team was looking for out of a LB this year.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. But int case of running the 46, you are likely to get coples,wilk,ellis,richardson, with barnes and davis as the LB.

6. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

I like the lineup lol

7. NFL

NFL Active Member

I trust Rex, but really if Coples isn't dominant next year than everyones head will be spinning on why we didn't grab Jones instead of Richardson. Like that we could keep Coples on the inside and not have to change anyone's position.

#27 NFL, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The key words here are "on occasion". That's really not a big deal to me. It's probably just so that they can keep the same personnel on the field against hurry up offenses and still switch up the fronts. The ability to do that against Brady could be big if Coples isn't a liability at OLB.

9. JETSJETS

JETSJETS Member

With the current D-Line and LB corp we have plenty of speed to bring pressure from just about anywhere as well as the power to control the line of scrimmage.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

If RR and DT feel Coples can stand up and come off the edge, then he can stand up and come off the edge.

#30 Jake, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  11. Petey

Petey Active Member

Maybe Jets are lying to throw off opponents?

12. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

We are gonna show so many different looks this yr on D it's gonna be fuckin FUN. Give us an offense Marty, we know the D will be awesome.

13. dmatt36

dmatt36 Active Member

Interesting move. This could potentially create match up problems for the offense...i definitely like Coples chances vs a blocking TE on the line.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That was my thoughts on draft day...... 3 straight years of DL, wtf

But I guess there lies the answer :breakdance:

15. 73klecko

73klecko Member

The Jets didn't draft Jones for the same reason they didn't draft Ingram last year. Short with short arms. These guys just don't fit the mold of Rex's 34 OLB. The Steelers have a different approach and Jones fits what they do.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

didnt we sign another linebacker?Antwane Barnes olb

17. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Jets never play base defense anyways. So what he is listed at really doesn't matter.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I dont know how we didnt draft a WR or TE we need help on offense and it goes unnoticed once again

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

TE is a glaring need imo, but WR isn't too bad. I think Holmes/Hill/Kerley is a decent trio, I think any decent QB could consistently move the chains with them. We also will be using RBs more in the passing game, so Goodson/Ivory/Powell become factors there too. I like Cumberland, but not as a #1 TE, they should add someone there but not sure who's available.

I fear if Holmes goes down again we'd be fucked though, definitely lacking depth there. I believe Kerley will be a REALLY good slot WR.

20. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Rex will run his hybrid front (3-4, 4-3, 46, prowl, etc)

I am guessing coples being able to play OLB will make it harder for offenses to figure out what the Jets will do just by looking at personnel groupings.

The defense might end up being pretty awesome if the secondary can hold up.