Yahoo/Manish: Smith thought he should be and would be the No. 1 overall pick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

All you did was paraphrase those shit reports about him

He is no diva, Cam Newton is a diva

Geno is getting knocked for being passionate and if he wasn't he'd be getting knocked for being nonchalant

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

If Geno Smith's attitude is what caused him to fall, I couldn't be happier right now.

A highly talented QB that put up impressive results, but fell to the Jets' third selection in the draft because he's mercurial? This could be like getting a high-end sports car at 50% off because it has a ding in the side.

Obviously it could also be getting the same car with a timebomb of an engine, but it would make me feel pretty good if it was all about him being moody and not about his physical talent or his competitiveness.

3. Bills_AFC_East

Bills_AFC_East New Member

Im not really happy with how the media is treating Geno Smith. Why are they killing this guy, he has done nothing wrong at all. Im looking forward to the future Bills vs Jets games, but the media is trying to ruin Geno Smith's career before it even starts.

Geno is a good guy. Maybe not the polished leader like Manuel, but IMO he was the better QB in college. I think he will be fine if the media leaves the guy alone.

4. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

"Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities."

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

Link article by Jason Cole

If I ever acted like that in a meeting I would be fired before it ended. I don't have a $5M dollar paycheck hanging in the balance. Yesterday he was compaired to Vince Young, today after reading some articles I think they nailed it.

No wonder only the Jets picked him, the Jets have low standards, all that matters is the circus and selling seats.

#84 JetsFan, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If he has the goods he's going to be fine. If he doesn't have the goods he's not going to be able to handle it. At the end of the day the smoke will clear and his on field performance is going to determine how he is perceived.

7. BleedGreenDaily

This is unfolding exactly how I thought... Before the draft I was so scared they would grab Geno.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You're not a JetsFan. What you are I don't know but definitely not a JetsFan.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You've posted 154 posts since the draft and they've been overwhelmingly negative, harsh, one-liner type material that indicates how little respect you have for the Jets and basically how much you hate them.

Why exactly are you here?

10. foreboding

foreboding Member

We will probably never know if this is true. If it is though, not a huge surprise he fell.

11. foreboding

foreboding Member

lol...i have to admit I noticed that. Probably a closet bills fan!

12. foreboding

foreboding Member

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I've been a Jets fan since 1966 and as for the media, I have never ever seen any team treated as badly and negatively as the Jets have been treated the past two years. This is a team that won 14 games the past two seasons, which is mediocre, but not terrible. The media treats the Jets as if they went 0-32. Everything the Jets do is criticized and every decision is wrong.

Some of this was concededly brought on by the Jets themselves. Going on Hard Knocks was the start of this treatment, the Mehta articles at the end of 2011 fanned the flames, the owner seeking headlines kept it going, and the Tebow trade (which, given the circumstances, was the worst move in Jets history) made the Jets a media circus.

Br4dw4ySux, who is one of the most knowledgeable posters on this board is right. The media in 2013 is over the top in its search for negative stories or any story. Throw in that the print media is on life support and you get sensationalism and not reporting.

Now that Tebow is gone and Idzik appears to have shut down the leaks and the feeding of the press, it appears that the media is going after Geno Smith because there are "stories" there.

But what gets me pissed is how Jets fans are handling the drafting of this kid. The negativity from the fans is incredibly troubling and puzzling. Why go after this kid? Why label him a bust and question everything he does after one week as a Jet??

None of us know what kind of a person or player Smith will turn out to be. But as Jets fans, we have a strong common desire to see the franchise succeed. Today's NFL is a QB driven league and the Jets just drafted a player with tremendous potential - a player many thought would be a first round pick or a top 10 pick at pick 39. We should all hope and pray that the pick ends up being a steal and that he is the franchise QB this team has been looking for and needs.

There is no benefit to Jets fans labeling him a bust or saying he will fold under the pressure of NY. Let's welcome him to the team and the NY area and get behind him, not give him a hard time. What does that do for the Jets or for Smith?

As for his decision to fire his agents, why do we as Jets fans care so long as it doesn't make him harder to sign? As for Smith's expectations in the draft, he is rightfully disappointed in his draft position. Mock drafts had him going as high as the 4th pick to Philly right up to the day of the draft. So his expectations were justified and I for one am glad he is pissed. I hope he carries a huge chip on his shoulder and sets out to prove everyone wrong.

Again, that is good for the Jets and that is all that matters. I want to see a winning team built over the next 2-3 years and Smith panning out makes that more likely. The Jets got a potential steal here with a talented players at the most important position drafted a round later than projected. Seeing Jets fans upset at the pick, rooting for him to fail, and knocking the kid for everything from his play to his off the field actions is baffling.

Like it or not, Smith is a Jet. We should ALL hope he turns out to be one of the best picks in Jets history. Any fan who hopes otherwise is an idiot and simply does not want the team to win. Any fan who hopes otherwise is nothing more than a selfish asshole who would rather point to a post they made this week three years from now and say "i told you so" than see the Jets succeed. What the hell is wrong with you people??

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]

15. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Well said Joe Willie .... very well said.

16. foreboding

foreboding Member

This, a true fan through it all.

17. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

When you shine the spotlight on yourself don't be surprised if the critics come out of the woodwork. The Jets decided to spotlight themselves with Rex's arrival and fed the media frenzy starting with their appearance on the HBO series. If you feed the beast for a period of time and then stop feeding the beast then don't be surprised when the beast starts chewing off your limbs.

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

to early for a trade this bum thread? or no

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Seriously, let the kid throw a fucking pass before deciding he's satan spawn.

20. UWSfan

UWSfan New Member

This bashing of Geno is so stupid. He fell in the draft more than he should have and had poor body language as it was happening, is a little aloof and not the friendliest guy you've ever met. Plus, he might be overly sensitive and have some insecurities.

By the way, I wasn't describing Geno Smith. I was describing Aaron Rodgers.