NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

I think he's a beast and a steal. From what I have seen from his videos if he can stay healthy he will be good.

2. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

3. Lucas Hood

Lucas Hood New Member

...if he can stay healthy. I don't think whether Ivory's talented enough to run for 1,000 yards is in question.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm so looking forward to having a RB that does not trip and fall down at first impact or forget to look at both sides and find the open hole for ten more yards.

If the line jells, our tandem RB will do serious damage.

5. saintsational

saintsational New Member

Hey all, I'm a Saints fan here wanting to share my opinion Chris Ivory.

I have seen a few negative post about him, so I thought I would shed some light for you all.

Ivory is a great pick up for y'all. He is an absolute beast. I'm happy that he will finally get his chance to be "the guy" in NY. He's a great player who will give his heart every time he gets the rock. He's a class act on and off the field. Wish the Saints didn't have to let him go. Bottom line, we are stacked at running back. In our pass happy offense, we had 5 running backs on the roster last year. Pierre Thomas is our all around back. Sproles is Sproles. Cadet came out of nowhere in training camp and preseason, leaving us no choice but to keep him. He's a Sproles type running back. Ivory and Ingram were our powerbacks. Ivory is better than Ingram...period. We traded up 2 years ago to get back into the 1st round for Ingram. Being invested in Ingram leaves Ivory the odd man out.

Last season, while Payton was suspended, our interm coaches kept starting Ingram. Fans everywhere wanted Ivory. WWL's phone lines would blow up with calls from fans over this. We knew what he was capable of. The coaches finally played him in the Atlanta game. Google Chris Ivory's stiff arm vs Atlanta. Let's just say that I was in the dome and it was rocking on that play.

Ivory is definately an every down back. Most fans are dissappointed that he is gone, but understands the business. The Saints are a pass happy offense and have running backs by committee. Payton has said many of times that he always goes with the hot hand on game day. There isn't a depth chart on running backs with him. If Thomas is having a good game, he'll get the ball. If it's Sproles, he'll get the ball, and so on. Ivory would have never been "the guy" here. Happy that he can be that in NY. He deserves it!

I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised by Ivory this coming season. I wish him the best of luck with y'all. I have a feeling that he is going to easily be a 1000 + rusher this coming season.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think most reasonable people think he's got the talent to be very good. It's his injury history we're concerned with. When you're describing a running back and some of the first words that always come out are "as long as he's healthy", you've probably got a good reason to be concerned.

7. saintsational

saintsational New Member

I understand that concern. I've watched Ivory over the past couple of years straight up run over defenses. He runs with lots of power and has a great burst. I personally think that's why he had injury problems. He's not one to fall when contact is made. He will fight for every single yard. Guess that's what I loved so much about him. Here's a thought that I often have: Ivory isn't the only Saints running back with injury problems. PT has had problems, Sproles was out a couple games last season and Ingram also. Our runningbacks have all had injury troubles. Maybe a change in turf would make a difference? Possibly.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Running backs get injured a lot. It's arguably the most physically demanding position on the field. That's a big part of why the NFL has shifted to running back by committee over the last decade and it's also a big reason why we didn't see a single RB taken until the 2nd round in the draft.

9. saintsational

saintsational New Member

Yep, In fact, part of the reason Ingram was drafted was because the previous season we went into the playoffs vs Seattle with our 8th running back of the season.

I truly think you all will love Ivory as much as we do. So happy that he got this opportunity!

10. BleedGreenDaily

Chris Ivory will come in and put a major impact on something Rex wants but doesn't get from his RBs. Consistency and the ability to catch out of the backfield.

11. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

That will be nice, and hopefully the upgrade at OL will help clear some lanes for him as well.

12. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

That goes without saying for most if not all RBs though...its a grueling position that takes a beating. He runs a violent but effective style.....a lot of RBs compound injuries. MJD, Peterson, Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, Reggie Bush etc. I don't like holding it against Ivory that he's injury prone because RBs a lot of the time end up getting hurt. I get it that he hasn't been a full time back and has been out for a bit too many games but I don't necessarily mind it because if you want him to avoid playing the way he does, you risk him being tentative and him not churning for the extra yards and playing what he's most comfortable in doing.

(Ah ok you said this in a following post, fairly put :D)

Thanks for the write up Saints fan....I know some of the pessimists here don't like this move, but they will be surprised with Ivory. It always comes off better when a fan of the opposition says the good things rather than some of us Jets fans since the pessimists/skeptics end up believing them more.

13. pender30

pender30 Member

I like these numbers much better.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

CONTRACT UPDATE: Turns out that RB Chris Ivory signed a three-year, $6 million contract, including a $2.25 million signing bonus. His cap number this year will be $1.5 million. RG Stephen Peterman signed a one-year, $905,000 contract, including a $65,000 signing bonus.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Dont know if it was psoted, and its a slow news day anyway, Enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]z7Bg_7oapMs[/YOUTUBE]

15. pender30

pender30 Member

Nice to see a running back make people miss, break tackles, look fast, and get more yards than his line blocks for. No wonder Idzik likes him, I noticed Seattle was playing defense on a few of those highlights.

I can't believe we got this guy for 4 million less than what Tennessee paid for Greene. Looks like an upgrade.

16. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Green did not cost the Titans a 4th rounder though. It depends on what was more important to you, cap space or draft picks. I think Ivory is a better runner and cant possibly be worse in the pasing game. I'm happy with the pick spent and the contract so far, now lets just see him do some of this in green and white.

17. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Great pickup

When news broke from the Saints about this trade ( Drew Bree's ) leaked the news. I was so happy we had a shot at getting this guy. I thought there was going to be some type of trade in the first round with the Saints including Ivory. When that did not happen I thought it was a rumor. So glad it happened later on and I think its well worth the pick we gave up. A 5th pick would have been an A+ but I am glad he is in Green and White.

18. tank75

tank75 Well-Known Member

it seems rb injuries happen a lot in NO, is this assessment i pulled out of my ass from barely following the saints cause my brother is a fan accurate? haha

i think that injuries are common enough among running backs to make it a reasonable assumption to say that with the right rotation and good staff he could make it through a season. its also a reasonable assumption to say he might get injured and leave us up shits creek.

but the more tape i watch of this guy the more excited i get for next season. he looks like an explosive playmaker that is willing to fight for every bit of yardage. that kind of attitude plus results can really fire up your offense and i feel like the jets have been lacking that kind of runningback for a while. sure greene would lay a big hit every once in a while, but he rarely broke a big run.

any jet fan that doesnt think ivory is a good pick up is crazy. i never really go on other teams message boards but im willing to bet its like the youtube comments, which is to say, some saints fan would have rather traded ingram and most are upset he got sent to ny.

19. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

I always liked Ivory's game. He's a great acquisition, and much better than Shonne Green.

20. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Didn't know much about ivory so I looked up some videos and fell in love instantly. Explosive, powerful, quick, agile, fast. All around back that we have been missing. He can do it all can't wait to see him play behind our rebuilt offensive of line.