Offensive Line 2013-2014

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will-I-Am-Not, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Between free agent signings and draft picks, we've actually accumulated some pretty good O-line depth. Two spots, Brick and Mangold,
    are obviously givens, and I think Howard will stay at Right Tackle. But both guard spots appear to be up for grabs.
    Here's my projected line. Please feel free to weigh in.

Left Tackle: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Left Guard: Brian Winters
    Center: Nick Mangold
    Right Guard: Willie Colon
    Right Tackle: Austin Howard

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Colon when healthy has been very solid, his issue is health. No idea what to expect from Winters, and not sure if we can trust Howard to repeat his 2012 performance. I'm expecting some good play from this line but some inconsistency for sure.

3. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I agree with you; Colon's health will be key. If he plays most of the season, we should be able to run the ball. Winters is a wild card, but he's a big body, and supposedly plays with a mean streak. I think this line could exceed expectations.

4. This O-line will be solid. Major difference moving forward & beyond is the depth. Investing those 3 picks on versatile O-linemen will pay dividends. For one, that has been a weakness for a long time & secondly there aren't alot of teams right now in the NFL that have good depth up front. It should serve the Jets well.

#4 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2013
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Willie Colon is always on the IR, I worry about that RG position. Brandon Moore should stay close to the phone.

6. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I think the Aboushi & Campbell pick ups are more of a wild card than Winters. The depth makes a big difference.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I would expect the OL to take a step back this year from being the 4th ranked OL last year. But in the long term they could be very good with much better depth. I like that we have developmental players and a year from now should have a lot better depth. It would not be surprising to see us to invest another couple of picks in the line next year as well. In the short term Colon's health worries me that we will end up seeing Ducasse in the lineup.Howard had a good year last year but I think they are worried he may cost to much next year so its good to see us get some tackle depth.

8. Ducasse has earned his shot for the starting job, like him or not. Many believe that he outplayed Slauson in alot of key moments last year & deserved to be starting. Bad draft pick or not..we've invested this much time into the guy..we might as well try to salvage something. He has big time run blocking ability.

If he still looks lost after a preseason game..we release him. But he deserves his shot.

9. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

And I honestly wouldn't mind that one bit.

10. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Yea like when Wayne Hunter and Rob Turner were the 6th and 7th linemen and not Ducasse and Schlauderauff.

11. laxin

laxin Active Member

Honestly, I think Ducasse gets a horrible reputation around here, and doesnt deserve it. He hasnt lived up to his 2nd round pick YET, but this was the plan for him all along. The organization said he was a project pick. Its not really his fault they drafted him in the 2nd. He's had 2 years on the bench, played about 1/3 of the snaps last year, and now its his time to step up. If he doesnt earn the starting job, its time to cut ties. In a good amount of playing time he played as well as, if not better than Slauson. Itll be an interesting battle to say the least.

Im hoping Ducasse and Winters win the jobs, simply because if they do they could be the future at the positions. They'll need to be solid to win the job.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Ducasse is slowly becoming the player we all hoped he could be and this year he will excell. I can feel it. He has improved steadily. I'm excited just to think we have choices and depth for a change.

13. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

I agree.

With the addition of Willie C, this is a beginning for the formation of a somewhat decent line that might provide adequate pass protection & the creation of gaps for the run game provided the OL utilizes training camp to learn to work effectively 2-gether as a unit. I see "stumbling/bumbling & fails" early but with time & familiarity w. ea. other - coupled with a realistic OFF game plan - this might yield positive results. Let's just wait & see.

14. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I thought I read somewhere that Colon would be playing LG, DuCasse at RG, but maybe I'm wrong.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think its
    lt. dbrick
    lg. ducasse
    c mangold
    rg colon
    rt howard

winters and oday are the dressed backups
    campell goes to the practice squad
    peterman doesn't make the team.
    unless they think they can stash oday on the p.s. but i doubt they can
    pterman might be one of those preseason cuts that are signed for week 2 so his salary isn't guarenteed but you want him close to the phone in case willie c. goes down.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think everyone is asuming ducasse at lg because he played alot there last year

17. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Colon was one of, if not the most penalized OGs in the league last year.

18. sreef35

sreef35 New Member

OLine depth was needed and I feel we met that this draft.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Weird story but I'm 2 degrees from Willie Colon.

My Cousin (Real blood) is Married to his cousin (Real Blood)..
    He hit me up on FB when Colon was coming to the JETS...

But the weird part is that my cousin is a known artist (singer) in NYC from the 90's (Don't ask) who is probably more known than he is....
    idk, just weird..

oh yeah, When healthy Colon is solid.

20. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

What I'm hoping for:

Left Tackle: D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    Left Guard: Brian Winters
    Center: Nick Mangold
    Right Guard: Willie Colon
    Right Tackle: Oday Aboushi

=======
    LT & C are obvious.

Colon is a veteran and when healthy can easily handle starter dutiest. Save that spot between LT & C for rookie Winters. Also, whoever plays RT will benefit more from healthy Colon over @ RG.

Oday Aboushi isn't a hot prospect but Howard is not good enough to be blindly given his job. Hopefully, Aboushi will rise to the occasion & give Jets better RT play.