The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

And he's NUMBER ONE in the NFL in turnovers the last 2 seasons.

2. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Sanchez should not even be a part of the QB rotation at this point. He should probably be a special teamer/scout QB. It should be Garrard mentoring Smith and handing him the baton to start. If Geno looks decent in pre-season, throw him in there. If not, wait a few weeks.

One thing that will surprise people, assuming Holmes will be at training camp, will be their chemistry. Smith was able to throw a LOT of money, over the shoulder balls to Tayvon Austin who is barely 5'7. He knows how to play with smaller, quick receivers so finding Holmes will probably be easy for him.

3. mute

mute Well-Known Member

If Sanchez gets boo'd, so will Geno because for the 1,000th time no QB will be able to do anything with this sh!tty offense.

4. John

John Active Member

I really like what you said with Holmes, I have watched tape of Geno and he does have a really nice touch in his pass to get to smaller recievers

5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

We improved at RB and OL, and we have the same receivers we had last year, including Stephen Hill with a year of NFL experience. The only position we haven't improved on offense is TE.

As long as Geno doesn't average 2 turnovers a game, there's no reason he can't perform better than Sanchez.

6. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

We may have gotten better from last year, but last year we had a horrendous offense. I agree that Geno may do better than Sanchez (if we let him start, which is debatable), but don't pretend that we have a good offense.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

O-Line will be better
    Running Game will be more explosive
    Receivers should be better
    QB play will be better

MOST IMPORTANTLY

Play Calling will be better

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We have no idea at all what kind of offense we have right now. Literally not a clue.

The biggest problems last year were (in order):

OC didn't bother to develop a coherent offense.
    WR's hurt and replacements suck.
    QB can't take any contact without folding like a lawnchair.
    RB's slow and very good at tackling themselves.
    TE's hurt and replacements suck.
    LG an unwieldy platoon of not quite good enough and oh god you suck.
    RT a young player looking good and bad from play to play.

Of all of those things the only thing that we're pretty sure is still an issue is the TE's. Odds are we have issues elsewhere but until we see them present we're not sure. Odds are very good that one or more of the areas above will be dramatically improved by the fixes so far and/or health status of the better players.

9. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

A little too optimistic if you ask me, ill give you that the line and running game SHOULD be improved, but we still have no real tight end. Our receivers need to prove they can get separation and hold on to the ball. I haven't given up on Stephen Hill but i'd like to see noticeable improvements in year 2

10. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Cumberland's not bad.

11. Drew

Drew Active Member

Not good either.

12. bucknasty

bucknasty Member

I hate this argument, cause offensive production starts and ends with the QB. Look at the cardinals, lions, bills, panthers, and cowboys. All have much better play makers than the jets , yet January rolls around and they are left outta the playoffs as well.

It works the other way too, see countless examples on the Packers, Saints, and Patriots, and the Redskins this year.

13. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I still like my idea of starting Vlad at Center and putting Manigold and DBrick on IR and putting Sanchez at QB for the whole year. Enjoy the show, get first overall pick next year.

14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Lol! And I would still watch every game

15. Win4ever

Win4ever New Member

I don't know if this has been posted here, but I thought it was a good read.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-breakdown-analysis-of-quarterback-geno-smith

Obviously, well before the draft, when everyone thought the Chiefs most likely would take him. Has some nice analysis on a few plays to highlight his strength.

Another thing that I watched was his throws vs. Kansas State last year, one of his bad games, and after watching it, I can't really blame him. The WV defense got blown up to shreds, and KS played a ton of LB deep zone or straight blitzes. They didn't respect the run at all once they had a sizeable lead, and there weren't many places to throw the ball at all. I think that was more of KS just defending the Air Raid once it was clear that the threat of run was non existent being down so much.

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Anyone read the report that Smith fired his agent(s)? Kind of lame to pin him dropping on them, IMO, he obviously fell because of his performance. But maybe there is more to it (i.e. they assured him he'd go in the first round) but seems kinda weak to me, makes him look bad mentally. Between that and the original reports that he didn't want to come back for day 2 of the draft, he was probably forced to by his agent(s) which was a smart move.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

18. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

He fired his agent, big deal.

EJ Manuel somehow going over him is kind of unusual and fire worthy :/

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Yeah, I just read that and felt the same thing....... between this and his body language at the draft, my gut feeling on this kid surviving Gotham isn't good.

20. BleedGreenDaily

I wanted EJ Manuel. He has everything Geno has plus a good head on his shoulders. Almost Russell Wilson like.