2014 is the year of the Quarterback

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Ozymandias, Apr 28, 2013.

1. laxin

laxin Active Member

I think this is very premature. Outside of Bridgewater and Manziel, Im not really impressed with anyone yet. I dont really like Manziel's attitude either and I think he would get eaten alive by the media here.

How quickly we forget the Landry Jones, Matt Barkley and Tyler Bray were considered 1st round prospects last year, and they werent draft until the 4th or later (or in Bray's case, not even drafted). Things change for a QB like no other position. This class could turn out to be just an average class with one or two 1st round QBs (Bridgewater) and then a few mid round QBs.

We did the right thing with drafting Geno. Other than Bridgewater, at this point, Id stick with Geno over the rest. Every single other QB has questions to answer. I guarantee some of them will fail to answer those questions just like we saw this year.

2. louissockalexis

louissockalexis New Member

We won't draft a QB in 2014 because we'll have put all our faith in Geno, and then when we realize he is a bust in 2015 there will be no good QB's left to draft.

3. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Naw, Geno was taken in the 2nd round. Your not tied to 2nd round prospects like you are 1st round choices. They're 2nd round or later because they have question marks.

Now If Geno goes out there, starts from day one, and puts up 4,000 yards 30 TD's against 6 picks, then yeah they're tied to him...and if, on the one in a million chance he does that, they should stick with him. But in reality if he just even puts up league average numbers his first year and the Jets have the chance to draft Bridgwater they'd be fools not to....or at least fools not to get a boatload of picks to trade down.

My hope is that Geno, when he does start, plays well and that if the Jets are in a position to have to choose between Bridgewater and Clowney they can choose Clowney with no regrets.

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Imagine adding Clowney to this defensive mix? Good god..:eek:hmy:

5. louissockalexis

Who wouldn't love Clowney, but my point is that after Year 1 with Sanchez, everyone had anointed him the new savior. The team got to the AFC championship, and his 77 QB rating was supposed to improve dramatically in following seasons. But it never happened.

We could find ourselves in the same exact scenario with Geno - oh, he's good, we don't need a QB... then pass up someone like Bridgewater, not that Clowney isn't a terrific prospect, but when you look at the elite QB's, you see those guys are game winners. That's why Brady and Manning, Rodgers all win 11-12 games every year.

But I will say, Manziel, why even list him. He is like the inverse of Tim Tebow - can throw but not athletic enough. Manziel would be another attention grabbing pick that we need to avoid. Please God, no Manziel.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Couple things about this whole 2014 and QB's thing.

First is that 2013 looked pretty good for QB's along about this time last year.

Second, Teddy Bridgewater is not Peyton/Eli/Andrew Luck. He's just not that caliber prospect. He's better than what was on display this year but he's not an all-time great prospect. He plays in a lesser conference. All-time great QB prospects don't come out of lesser conferences. All-time great QB's DO occasionally come out of a lesser conference but nobody sees them coming in that way.

Thirdly, Teddy Bridgewater may not even be in the 2014 draft. He's a junior next year.

Fourthly, Johnny Manziel has what that Tim Tebow didn't?

Fifthly, Johnny Manziel may not even be in the 2014 draft. He's a sophomore next year.

#46 Br4d, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Hypothetically speaking if we're in position to draft Bridgewater let's say we start Sanchez or Garrard until the bye and were 2-7 then Geno goes 3-4 over the last 7 games but plays very good and shows flashes

I'd still take Geno over him and flip Bridgewater to an NFC team for a few picks and continue to build our team up

We're the only fan base who wants to go from GM to GM, HC to HC, OC to OC and QB to QB year after year

Consistency will go a long way for us being a successful franchise

8. Br4d

If Geno puts up league average numbers the Jets are going to win 8 games pretty easily.

If Geno Smith plays decently there is no chance at Teddy Bridgewater unless Teddy Bridgewater looks like a Geno Smith type prospect by this time next year.

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

What are next weeks lottery numbers?

10. NFL

NFL Active Member

I wouldn't say easily.. We got a tough couple first weeks.

11. Br4d

You give Rex's defense a league average offense and they will win 8 games going away. If Geno Smith has league average numbers at QB the Jets offense is going to be league average.

12. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

14-32-65-23-48

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

agreed. just imagine Clowney are on DLine, move Wilkerson inside with Richardson and have Clowney and Coples on the ends. very scary line.

14. louissockalexis

If Bridgewater was an option, I would rather trade Geno, get what we can for him, and go with the franchise QB, Bridgewater. Now there are no guarantees but you want to be in the right place at the right time.

Per the lottery numbers, winning the lottery is a best case scenario... I only specialize in worst case scenarios... ;)

15. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Maybe if we bomb out, but still believe in Smith. We TRADE DOWN imagine how much teams would give up to get a Bridgewater. Imagine someone pulls a Mike Ditka that would be nice. We can always take a couple of their first or something

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

hmmmm

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

We're not drafting a QB in the first overall period, what team have you known drafts a QB in the second and then next year draft a QB in the first. We're not in a position to waste picks, Geno hasnt even a selected a jersey number yet and some of you are calling for his head. Why wish that on a kid, let him play first.
    Yeah Geno wasnt particularly who i wanted, hell the whole didnt exactly go the way i wanted, get over it i did.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Carolina Panthers. Clausen with their 2nd rounder then Cam Newton the next season. If the Jets are that bad it's not out of the realm.

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Clausen was absolutely pathetic however and was thrown into the fire

Geno will be handled way better by Idzik and MM

20. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Yeah i forgot about that one lol, i wna say i hope if given the chance Geno doesnt play as horrible as Jimmy Clausen did in 2010. But if he does i still dont choose a QB give me Clowney.