Bradway and Bauer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GoldenShowers, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't see the Argument against Bollinger, Ainge Clemens and McElroy as valid criticism. Bollinger was a 6th round pick who made the team contributed and who we later traded for a 6th round pick. That is much better than most 6th round picks. McElroy made the team and came in won a game for us against the Cardinals last year. Again much better than one will see from a 7th round pick. Ainge was a 5th round pick with potential but issues. We will never know if he could have been any good. But he was a 5th round pick. Sometimes you need to take a gamble on a player with a high ceiling. Because the player does not work out doe snot mean the gamble was not a good one.

Clemens was a 2nd round pick taken a couple of rounds to early. He did not pan out but he is still in the NFL, Most 2nd round drafted NFL QBS are backups few end up starters for very long. No different on Clemens.

These were not bad draft picks but they were not great draft picks. They were just slightly better than average draft picks.

#21 Noam, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So since Chad Pennington blew out his shoulder back in 2003 these constitute good QB picks by a GM and head of scouting looking to put a franchise QB on the team?

Picking up backup QB's over and over on a team desperate for a development QB since 2004 and desperate for a QB after 2005 represents good value at the position?

I disagree. When you need a QB drafting backup QB's who have stuck around as backup QB's is exactly why this team is rebuilding without have won a SB in 08,09 or 10.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

They were above average QB picks for the rounds they were taken in. Certainly not bad picks. When your taking guys in the 5th-7th round especially a QB the odds of getting much if anything is slim to none. McElroy and Bollinger exceeded expectations for 6th and 7th round picks. Clemens career is line with where he was taken and Ainge he was a talented player with issues that we took a flier on in the 5th round. It is very hard to criticize anyone over these picks. There are much better reasons to be upset with Bradway than over 5th-7th round picks. If your looking for starting QBs outside of round one your likely going to have a long wait. It is very rare. For every Andy Dalton, Tom Brady and Russel "Bradway" Wilson there are a 100 Eric Ainges.

#23 Noam, Apr 28, 2013
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Really? Tom Brady says high. They were wasted picks on a team that was desperate for a starting QB. Clemens was an outright bust. Ainge was an outright cancer in TC. Bollinger and McElroy are clipboard holders.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Of course it wasn't the Jets but you can bet the farm his agent told him not to go home.

6. Don

WTF are people talking about here? Do they have any knowledge of Smith at all? He had the highest completion ratio (71.2%), the most yards (4205) and the highest rating (163.9) of any major college QB in the land..what the fuck inconsistency are you tools speaking about? The complete shit team around him, or the bad game he had in the snow and wind at Yankee stadium?

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Very well done.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

You don't find Tom Brady's everyday....

9. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Geno just has some mechanical issues, nothing major but he's coachable and everything wrong is fixable. Give him time and be patient, just this fan base wants Luck as the starter and RG3 as the back up

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Not here to defend them, but your comments sound more personal than anything.Actually this year was, in my opinion, a very impressive draft for the Jets, utilizing and leveraging all of out picks and filling 6 out of 9 areas of need

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

If it was all about numbers

Geno Smith 71.6 4205 yards 42 TD's 6 INTs

A) 67.3 5012 yards 45 TDs 13 INTs
    B) 71.0 5631 yards 48 TDs 5 INTs
    C) 59.5 4258 yards 38 TDs 13 INTs
    D) 70.6 5111 yards 45 TDs 9 INTs
    E) 72.6 5549 yards 58 TDs 12 INTs
    F) 67.6 3809 yards 30 TDs 4 INTs

No names, just guys who played in the same system as Smith in college and you know what? Only one of them is still in the NFL. C was never even drafted.

Am I saying he can't be good? No not at all but what I am saying is the the odds are against a QB who plays in the Air Raid to have success in the NFL. Had Smith come out last year he would have been a mid round guy. Maybe 4th or 5th round. Acting like he is going to be good because he was the 2nd QB taken in one of the weakest QB drafts in history isn't really something I'm buying.

12. Scottso

Scottso Member

Terry Bradway told them not to draft Vernon Gholston, but Eric Mangini got his way and they drafted Vernon Gholston. I know this as fact, you talk out of your ass.

13. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

15. Don

I don't know what you are saying about him other then the fact you don't like him..all I'm saying is this was the best of what was probably a bad crop and pretty much everybody ranked him that way. He may fail of course but we needed a QB and as a 2nd rounder he was pure gold. Like Cimini (I think) said in his column "if he sucks just pick another one next year". We are not mortgaging the farm on garbage like we have for 5 years with Sanchez. We are going to be paying him 5 million over 4 years..barely more than the 2014 June 1st leftover on Sanchez if they decide to cut him.

#35 Don, Apr 28, 2013
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

17. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

It's pretty obvious what I am saying, he is a system guy that comes from a system that has had quite a few QB's put up ridiculous numbers in college and not have that success translate to the NFL. The thinking of "well he was the best of a bad crop of QB's" mentallity is stupid. If you are buying a house are you going to buy the most expensive house in a bad neighborhood? Of course not, that would be irresponsible and a bad investment. The attitude of well we could just draft another one is terrible. How bad did we miss on Vlad Ducasse? Imagine if we had drafted Brandon Spikes, Emmanual Sanders, Jimmy Graham or Navorro Bowman instead? All guys drafted after him. Ehhh... it's only a 2nd round pick. Exactly, missing on draft picks is why this team sucks right now.

I don't care what he is making, I care about getting good players and I don't see it with Geno. I see project who won't amount to much in the NFL but hey if he stinks we can just draft another QB next year. Terrific...let's just throw away draft picks because we can always draft another next year.

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

C'mon man. Everyone was fine with the Gholston pick at the time. I think one guy here wanted Leodis McKelvin. Otherwise were all fine about it. no one deserves blame for that pick other than Gholston himself. Mangini started getting the blame the day after he got fired.

Had Bradway strongly advised against it, well good for him but let's put the VG saga to rest. We all got hosed on that one. We all share the blame.

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Source?????

20. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Actually, I didn't want him. Reminded me of Robertson, moving up the list as the draft approaches.

Those kind of guys scare me.