Bradway and Bauer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GoldenShowers, Apr 28, 2013.

1. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

The same guys who have been running the draft for years, ran this one. Bradway is another guy who Woody loves and retains inexplicably.

They basically chose Geno bc despite the inconsistency, the struggles against a good defense, and the system that is notorious for making mediocre guys look good, they fell in love with his pro day. It's the same type of thinking that got us enamoured with Sanchez and a half dozen other crucial draft picks.

And why would it be any different, the same guys are running the draft!

I've seen this SO MANY TIMES. Instead of picking a player for who he is, you pick a player for who you hope he could become if everything works out.

Idzik is a cap guy who has the exact same team under him as Tanny. How the fuck is this a new regime? It's a facelift, and we needed a heart transplant.

2. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

So tell me.... which NFL team do you root for?

3. BleedGreenDaily

I just found it odd Geno pouting day one about to go home, then someone "calls" him to tell him to come back. Jets try and fail to move up in second round but still get Geno... Just sounds very odd.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You keep referring to Idzik as a cap guy as if he has no personnel experience. Why?

5. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Basically, Bradway and Co. screwed up the #6 and #5 overall picks in back-to-back years.

Maybe getting rid of the people in the draft department, including my friend, wasn't the problem.

6. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

it would have been tough for idzik to replace the entire scouting department this past year. he just didnt have enough time.

i fully expect him to make changes there though and badway really really really needs to go away. he has been here and been bad for far far far too long.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this has been discussed ad nauseum. teams do not overhaul the scouing department in january.
    1. the scouting done for a draft is a year long process. no one is going to scrap 8 months of work and try to cram it in a 4 month window. its not logical

2. and this is most important. scouts contracts expire after the draft. not at the end of the season like coach and g.m. contracts. so even if someone wanted to overhaul the scouting dept in january, no team is going to let there scouts out of there contracts to work for another team.

if idzick doe not like the way the dept is set up i expect to see some changes in the next 2 months.
    please stop looking for things to complain about.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Bradway is also the same guy who loved Kapernick and Russell Wilson. Maybe he knows something about QBs? Bradway wasn't a good GM but he got the GM job because he was known as a great scout.

All players drafted are players drafted because of what they will become. You would think people would know by now you can't judge a draft the day after, apparently not.

9. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

There's no proof it was the Jets who told him to stay. Maybe it was common sense. He was probably just pissed that a lesser option was chosen over him (The Bills are retarded), but then saw reason. There was a 0% chance he wasn't going to get drafted Friday.

10. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

There was no time to uproot the scouting department. What were they going to do. Bring in Idzik and get rid of all the scouts who spent the last year working. Idzik would be thrown in the fire left in the dark without anything to look at. You can't fire everyone who spent the whole year scouting right before the draft. That would be pants on head retarded.

11. BleedGreenDaily

I liked EJ wish we would have gotten him in the second. Kid has a good head to handle things on top of his football skill and learning ability. But nothing you can do when he goes higher then projected.

12. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

And my guess is that he left and everyone assumed he was leaving. It was his mothers bday and they didnt have a hotel. Being 22 I say things then change my mind after thinking about it all the time.

13. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Bradway still heads up the college scouting department and still falls in love with looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane picks.Among the more notable was Bryan Thomas, who Bradway fell in love with at the Senior Bowl. Bradway passed on Ed Reid (too slow, poor workouts). Other notable workout warriors Bradway fell in love with and are among the Jets all time high first round
    bust picks are DeWayne Robertson and Vernon Gholsten.

Woody Johnson doesn't like to pay anyone beyond his current contract including Rex Ryan who is in the last year of his contract and Woody wasn't about to pay Rex Ryan 3 million dollars to sit home or appear as a TV analyst this year.

Unfortunatly you can't cut the owner

14. BleedGreenDaily

When interviewed he was asked if he would be here on day two. He said No I am going home tonight.

15. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure terry bradway and our scouting department is widely respected, you just think he sucks because he was a shitty GM

16. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I know it's just from speculation, but one does get the feeling with all the media coverage hyping this pick, one has to wonder if the Jets took Smith to appease the NY press and beat writers, does one?

But I know that's just not what the Jets would go out of their way to do, now would it? lol.

Smith has certainly got on the media bandwagon by indicating his desire to show the teams who passed on him how wrong they will be and having 'a chip' on his shoulder.

Idk, I still don't feel a project player is worthy of a 2nd round pick as the Jets could have put towards someone that would contribute at the onset ...to pick this guy becasue of his pro day/combine workouts is ludicrous....didn't they learn from the Gholston disaster?

17. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

Jonathan Vilma, David Harris, Jerricho Cotchery, Leon Washington, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, Muhammed Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, Brandon Moore.

See what I did there? I can pick and choose facts too.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

They did not. The scouting department and Bradway were adamantly against taking Ghoulston. Ghoulston was all Mangini. The scouting department also was against taking Sanchez but not as strongly as they were against taking Ghoulston. We took Sanchez because Rex liked him. Thiose screwups were on the HCs and on Tanny for ignoring the advice of the scouting department.

19. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Mornhinweg said pretty much the opposite in his conf call. He alluded to Geno having a good Pro day but said the production on the field is what sold him.

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Could be he knows something about QB's but his draft's don't indicate that. His first QB pick after Pennington was drafted was Brooks Bolinger, followed by Clemens, Ainge, Sanchez and McElroy. Take Sanchez out of the equation if you want to believe that was Woody, Rex and Tanny trying to sell PSL's and you're left with Clemens, Ainge, Bolinger and McElroy.

I wouldn't argue that Bradway doesn't know anything about QB's but I wouldn't argue he is a MENSA member based on his knowledge of what makes a great NFL QB.