Jets to consider releasing Sanchez - Adam Schefter of ESPN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 27, 2013.

1. NEJets

NEJets Member

Nay,,, he will be good backup QB, just too expensive. Keep him on the bench for a year.

2. mphtrilogy

mphtrilogy New Member

please make it so!

3. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

This is excellent logic ... particularly in light of all the other NFL HCs in the league who continually bash their own team's signings and trades in the media.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

you would have an orgasm over an additional $4.8 million cap hit next year that would not exist if we just kept him for thisseason? why would you want Sanchez hindering the team next year when he is gone?

maybe I am missing something, but I would assume that the Jets could actually use that $4.8 million cap space next year to improve the team next year rather than get some personal satisfaction from him being gone this year.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Br4
    You hit the nail on the head. My biggest fear is for the coaching staff to rush Geno into a starting role because of pressure, from the owner, the unhappy "can't wait" impatient fans, the shitty media, etc.
    I'm tossed about what to do with the current situation. The facts are muddy in my view.

1) Either or Sanchez/Tebow need to go. If nothing else to relieve some of this ridiculous pressure cooker environment
    2) What is best for the team at this point? Will Garrard be ready? Situation is very unclear
    3( MM needs time to evaluate Geno's ability to be a starter - who starts in case he is not close to ready? Worst thing we could do is rush him like we did Sanchez.
    4) Are the Jets giving up on the fact Sanchez can still be an NFL QB. The Sporano/Tebow mess and lack of talent did not help him any last year. One could only hope that if he has a decent albeit not stellar year he might have some trade value in 2014

I'm of the opinion that perhaps Sanchez is better served to renegotiate his contract for 2013, give it his best shot, try to silence the ridiculous Jets fans willing to boo him before he even steps on the field........or gracefully accept his QB career as over and retire from football.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

$4M+ cap hit next year happens in any scenario in which Sanchez is not cut before June 1st this year.

7. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Do you want Geno Smith learning from Sanchez with the media constantly hounding us about keeping him? We'd have more than 30 million in cap room for next year. I think 4.8 million one way or the other isn't a huge deal.

The damage of having Sanchez anywhere on this team for next year far outweighs potential financial savings

8. JetBlue

what if he is cut before then?

9. ScottFrost

ScottFrost Member

If they cut Sanchez, it may be the end of the "West Coast Jets" camp!....:breakdance:

10. JetBlue

my apologies, I misunderstood the cap hit. if it is no different whether we cut him or not, absolutely I want him gone. but if we can save money next year, I would leave him on the team.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

If he is cut before June 1 the whole amt comes off this year. If he is cut after June 1 a little over 4 million comes off next year with 12 or so million this year. If he is on the roster he is 8.9 this year and roughly 8 next year. The only difference is the 500k of workout bonuses. I believe they are prorated over 40 workouts, The sooner he is cut the less of these he earns. But other than that the money is the same over 2 years if he is cut this year or next. Potentially we can save 500k (minus any of the 40 workouts he has done this year) over 2 years by cutting him immediately.

#71 Noam, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  12. ArmandJ

I'm glad you've seen the light :)

I'll put it this way. If Mangold restructures, Sanchez will not last the end of the week.

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Ferguson already restructured lowering our cap this year by $5 million. So we have the money to say goodbye whenever we please.

14. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

Man, he sure went the way of Harrington with a quickness.

Drop Sanchize like a turd, roll with Garrard for half to three quarters of the season, and then see what you have with Geno.

Doesn't seem that hard IMO.

15. ArmandJ

But that seems more as a way to absorb the Ivory and Peterman signings.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if we cut him this year, without using the june 1 provisioning, he counts 0 against the cap moving forward.

from NYJETSCAP.com

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

You are right about Ivory but I hope Peterman is a min salary guy so he should not count against the cap. No clue how much Ivory will be but we should have had about $7 million in space plus $5 million from Ferguson. So yes your probably right we may need to do Mangold. Rookie salary, plus Sanchez hit plus any additional signings could take up all of that and more. Fortunately we are way under cap next year. With Revis and Sanchez gone it could be $40-50 million under.

18. ArmandJ

I think Mangold will be more than willing. Bradway alluded to him purposefully messing up the snap against Tennessee.

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You can cut him before then and use a June 1st designation. I think every team gets to use two of them every offseason. Players negotiated for this because it helps them land a spot on another team. Getting cut that late & you're screwed because rest of the league is likely to solidify their major weaknesses (or run out of cap money).

=====

edit:
    http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/ <--- This guy explains it much deeper than me.

"The league allows each team to designate up to two players per year as a June 1 cut for cap purposes prior to June 1. It’s the one concession that was given to the players as it allows a player to be cut in March and have time to explore free agency but have his cap hit spread out over two seasons, thus creating more cap space in the current year."

#79 ajax, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013