Jets to consider releasing Sanchez - Adam Schefter of ESPN

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Link to what?

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Do people understand what being a fan is all about?

You arent a restricted free agent...go root for whoever the fuck you want...but don't ever call yourself a Jets' fan again.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It will cost us 17 million towards the cap no matter when they do it, now or June 1st..it will always be 17 million and it's just a question of taking all of it this year or putting 5 million into next year.

Or do you think they are actually going to keep him?

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think we have a decent core of WR's in place. The thing is that they need to draft someone either this year or next year to develop to eventually take Holmes place. But Hill and Kerley are two young receivers that Geno can begin to build chemistry with.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm not banking on Hill until we see it proven on the field that he can be both effective and consistent. From what we saw last year, I do believe he can be effective... but I'm very worried about the consistent part.

I'd feel much better about our receiving corps if it was talented enough to push Kerley into the four spot. He's good, steady... not someone who I want seeing the field the whole game though. If you could combine his ball skills with Hill's natural physical ability, then we might have something there.

And... our TE group is atrocious right now.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

to what you are hearing, that he might get cut monday.

7. gsulli5861

gsulli5861 New Member

No way the Jets can have Sanchez on the roster. The Jets made a mistake and they need to move on. I think Garrard should start for the first part of the year and then move to Geno. Hopefully Idzik wil build the offense around Geno and get him some weapons.

8. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

I am by far a huge Sanchez supporter but I think cutting him could be a big mistake,I am all for giving him at least one more year and seeing how he does in this new system,I dont think Geno Smith is day one starting QB,the guy needs to sit at least a year.

9. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

Now that you have drafted Smith what do you think will happen if Sanchez is given the starting QB on opening day?

10. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

How can you preach compitition and then cut Sanchez. Who then is Geno supposed to compete with?

11. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The obvious way to maximize the utility in this situation is just to move Sanchez to special teams. That way we can get him on the field to help with future teams who are scouting him and keep him active with reps.

There's no point in just throwing money away by cutting him. he such a competitor and hard worker I'm sure he will take our special teams to the next level.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

1. Idzik generates some publicity around cutting Sanchez
    2. Sanchez renegotiates contract
    3. Idzik cuts Tebow

Take it to the bank.

13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

14. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

Sparano was a terrible hire. Sanchez isn't a great QB. but I am pretty sure Sparano had a lot to do with Sanchez having a horrible year.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Everyone wanted Sanchez gone then we draft a QB and its give Sanchez one more year GTFO the butt fumble has become the punch line of the NFL we need to rid ourselves of this dud

Trade him for an 8th rounder

16. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Do you really think Sanchez is going to renegotiate $20M guaranteed? Why on Earth would he do that? Just so he can stay on the team and watch Geno?

He has one of the best contracts in sports. There's no way he changes a thing. He can be cut and get everything and still get signed as a backup to a team that has no obligation to pick up his salary.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez is costing the Jets either $17.15M, or $17.65M against the cap moving forward.

If they cut him as a straight cut this year before June 1st he costs $17.15M, all on this year's cap.

If they cut him as a June 1st cut or any time after June 1st he costs $17.65M, $12.85M this year and $4.8M next year.

Figures above all taken from overthecap.com, which is an excellent resource for all questions cap-related.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the difference in the two scenarios is Sanchez $500K workout bonus this year which does not get paid if he is cut. It's possible that as a June 1st cut he actually costs the same as a 2013 cut and I am just reading otc wrong.

#37 Br4d, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  18. wellemann

wellemann Member

I think we are gonna keep Sanchez, and it would be best for the team.

Idzik is obviously thinking longterm for the team.

By drafting Geno, Sanchez has one last chance to prove that he is worthy. Geno sits behind him and learns, and if Mark plays well, we will be able to keep him or tag and trade him. If he is still bad. He leaves.
    Its very much like the 49ers situation. Alex Smith didnt work out. They brought in the right offense. He worked and so did their new qb. Then they traded the now proven veteran. WIN.

The same can happen with the cbs. Cromartie has one more year of playing at top level. Milliner gets up to speed, and in year we trade Cromartie and lets Milliner and Wilson be the starters. WIN.

19. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but when your GM won't even commit to you being in camp, you're done.

Sanchez is gone. It's a wrap.

20. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Just let Sanchez sit for a year and cut him after the year. He will not beat Geno or Gerard for the starting job.

Makes no sense to cut him now.