The Geno Smith "Era" (Official Geno Thread) - All Geno Talk in here!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

I'd like to see him wear 3 or 5

2. xBleedingGreen62x

How can a fan base that has sat n watched 4 years of Sanchez have the lowest QBR in the league over that span and just flat out be the reason we've lost so many games not be excited about getting the best QB in the draft @ 39? CLUELESS. Great value pick and if it does not work wont set the franchise back 5 years like #6 did.

3. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

I like you. You're capable of rational thought. :beer:

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

5 is too close to 6 and 3 is Russell Wilson's number and he'll already get that comparison because of Idzik's Seattle connection and the Jets being built like the Seahawks

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Wish Qbs can wear 39 because it'd be sick if he wore that to represent where he got picked and how mad he'll ball.

6. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

That was good. I hadn't seen that episode before. Gives me a little hope.

7. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Exactly. Ducasse is looking like a bust at this point but I don't think anyone can blame a majority of our problems on him, just a collection of poor draft picks that added up and killed our depth. Sanchez is the biggest in this collection. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft carefully, but the potential far outweighs the risk for Geno.

If he's at least not worse than Sanchez it probably won't set the team back much at all. Even a small improvement at QB helps a lot, plus it lets us focus on other positions. The fact that we could use our third pick on Geno makes me feel so much less worried about the situation.

And before calling him a bust, let's see what he can do. I'm excited to see how he does.

8. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Every single kid in the Air Raid throws for those numbers. That's why it's absurd to cite them. They don't translate to the NFL, and in ten years of a half dozen outrageous passing stats players, all the air raid QBs fail.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

So rewatching this, I see a QB who is extremely dedicated to the game. Everyone says he is a system QB and ran an offense that inflated his stats and never had to read a defense... You listen to him talk about his offense, and he had probably about 5 different options each play. He had to put his team in the position to succeed every play, and that offense was one of the best in the nation. He knows his role as a QB- he knows he has to manage a game, dictate what happens presnap every play and his job is to put the team in the best position to succeed. He also had to prepare every week for every blitz package and defensive scheme for each team because they dont know how the defense will play them since the offense at WVU is so unique. Geno said that he had the freedom within the system to change the play presnap if he saw an overload or off coverage ect (furthering the idea of putting the team in the best situations).

He also played in 3 different offenses at WVU, and succeeded in and improved in each one.

Ive also rad that he was given a playbook for [I believe] Trent Dilfers QB camp. Within 5 weeks, Smith had the playbook memorized to the point where he could have taught the other QBs. None of the other attendee's had the playbook memorized in full.

10. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Bc being the best of a horrible, historically horrible draft class doesn't make you a franchise player.

11. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Watching the Gruden QB camp special he seems to speak intelligently and understands that reading the defense is the key. Gruden seems to say that he prepares heavily to which Geno agrees with.

Also very interesting to see that they are talking about the pistol on the special, and I remember Rex saying in one of his pressers that he wants an actual offense that might even include the pistol. Wonder if he was interested in Geno even back then.

#391 SienaSaints, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I am saving this quote

Lets just see what happens.......

13. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

People act like we just took a Texas Tech or Hawaii QB. He does run a certain system/style in WVU but Kaepernick ran a pistol attack/formation in Nevada which is offensive friendly......RG3 ran some pistol at Baylor and Shanahan went as far as implementing that in the Skins playbook for RG3.

Why can't we implement some of what Geno had done in college? I am not saying all of it but why can't we incorporate some of those plays? Good OC and coaches find a way to adapt and help out their talent....Marty M. knows what he is doing here.

People get way too wrapped up on this stuff. At the end of the day, he's throwing the ball and scrambling....no system teaches that. You can either do it or not. People complicate this shit way too damn much.

Did you know Johnny Manziel was apart of an "Air Raid" style of offense? Does this mean he should be avoided at all costs at next year's NFL Draft? Weeden and Foles ran this and Landry Jones ran this too.....Foles and Weeden for year 1 starters weren't terrible.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

When scouting a QB you dont scout his offense or his numbers

Scout his skill set and then check his stats to see how that correlated into his success or failures

Geno over came a week O-Line a D that didn't give him help, the Jets have a D any QB can win with and an offense that was XFL bad

Give him a shot, the kid wants it, Sanchez fell in love with the off the field lifestyle, Geno I think has his head on a little tighter

15. xBleedingGreen62x

oh, i forgot we have one on the roster rite now so it would be foolish to take a chance on one at excellent value and try to develop him this year while we have a roster thatll be picking in the top 5 in 2014. /clueless fans

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Higher rated? By who, Mel Kiper? These guys get things terribly wrong every year. I'm going to trust our new GM and give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves me wrong.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I am as excited about today's picks and trades as I was dejected by the mess that was yesterday's draft picks.

We addressed the offense today with Geno, Winters and Ivory. About damn time, and glad to see it.

18. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

I actually liked our picks yesterday, but only if we addressed offense with the picks today; alas, we did. Do you feel any differently about the picks yesterday given what happened today? And if not, do you not like Milliner and Richardson as players? I'm curious how today's events have impacted your feelings on the draft as a whole

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

being part of a horrible draft class also doesn't equate to not being capable of being a great player.

you see, the opinion of the draft class is just that -- opinion, and only an emotional hysteric would refuse to wait for actual results one way or another and pass final judgement simply based on opinion.

20. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Watching Geno vs LSU now. See a lot of pressure but from LSU and some poor throws. But I also see Geno escaping pressure from Mingo and making a play by extending the play and I see him throwing on Claiborne and Mathieu and completing passes.

Stedman Bailey looks pretty good would be nice have drafted him in the 3rd round to give Geno a weapon.

I still see good arm strength but I also see him keeping his body open on certain throws where I am thinking he should be squaring his body more.