NBC Sports: Chris Ivory Visits Jets (Update: Traded to Jets for 4th round pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SienaSaints, Apr 13, 2013.

1. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

So you had two options

> Have confidence in Sanchez, Garrad, Tebow

> Consider Geno once considered a first round pick and the best QB in an admittedly weak QB class is a steal at second

And you went with the first, interesting

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Personally, I prefer option C: Admit we won't win this year, draft for 2015, get a QB in the 2015 draft.

3. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I disagree, Tannenbaum was actually a trading shark, I don't know what the opinions of others on this board are, but trades like Cromartie for a 3rd, and Holmes for a 5th, Sanchez for essentially a 2nd and some old rubbish on our depth chart, etc. He made trades that at the time were stellar, some of the players just overall didn't pan out.

4. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Thank you. For a team like the Jets even one round makes a difference, that's 32+ players we won't get to pick from to pick up this guy, who now needs a new contract after being injured FOUR straight years!

I hope he plays well, and healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing him compete in our backfield as we welcome a new era.

5. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

People only think a 4th is overpayment because all the speculation had us getting him for a 5th (plus he's a spare part for the Saints).

6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Good pickup in Ivory. A physical explosive RB with some beast mode potential as long as he stays healthy.

7. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

We prob wanted Kelce or Reed in rd4 and saw no TE worth it and traded the pick.

Ivory's our best offensive skill player. Might not say much but this is a great move.

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

It was his lack of emphasis on the value of draft picks plus his penchant for signing FAs to undeserving contracts or retaining our own guys at way above market price. The actual deals weren't that bad. The Cro deal became a 2nd.

9. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

But don't you realize that the same owner, same scouting staff, same head coach, and a green GM who's really just another cap guy means a whole new world?

10. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

no problem with ivory, but they should have tried to trade down in the 2nd, take best TE or OL available and get an extra pick for the Ivory trade.

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I hate Santonio but you gotta say he's our best skill player at the moment, even coming off injury.

12. NFL

NFL Active Member

Difference between Tannebaum and Idzik is, Tanny traded a 4th for Tebow.. Idzik traded a 4th for Ivory.

I still think we gave too much for him, I thought the Saints would have taken a 5th. Would of been great for us with Quinton Patton still on the board.

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Why do people get offended if fans want to nitpick and think the team could have done better? It doesn't always mean we're "not happy", maybe it just means we're not completely satisfied. This is the New York Jets and the new GM is under a microscope.

Are we supposed to just blindly agree with everything the Jets do and think it's all fucking great? Just because people think the Jets could have got more compensation here or have given up less compensation there doesn't mean they completely disagree with the moves.

The devil is in the details.

14. In that case you pretty much weren't gonna be happy regardless of what the Jets got accomplished.

15. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

Or you could have traded for a current backup
    Or you could have drafter EJ Manuel, Nassib, or Barkley
    Or you could have drafted Glennon
    Or you could have waited till next year to draft a QB, after we no doubt tank this season, in a much better draft class

16. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

It's crazy to even expect that we'd be in the position to draft an elite QB in 2014 or 2015

> Potential Injuries to QB prospects

> Mediocre 6-10 - 9-7 non wild card seasons put us out of running usually.

> Teams trading up ahead of us.

Come on you don't pass up potential you can get now for theoretical potential that may never come.

#416 CandleGuy, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  17. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but some people don't even nitpick and look into the details, they just act like they know everything about anything and are "super GMs."

18. CandleGuy

CandleGuy New Member

We traded our 4 rounder Manuel was drafted in the first round. So you would have been fine swinging for Nassib, Barkley, or Glennon in the second or third? Even though Geno was projected by most as much higher than all of them?

Fair enough

Just like Jets thought Sheldon was a better prospect the anyone else, they felt the same with Geno.

Time will tell.

19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Actually, I would have been happy if they drafted with the intention of building for 2015. I like watching prospects grow. We've just made quite a few picks that leave me scratching my head.

Milliner will start as a #2 CB. Fine, I'll be okay with that.

Richardson looks really good...but unless the Jets run a ton more 4-3, taking him in the first round doesn't make sense. Our d-line is young and all three starters are really good so it's not like he has a job opening to take.

Smith - Yes, Sanchez sucks. Yes, he's the best QB prospect. But he's not NFL ready. He lacks a lot of the QB IQ necessary for the NFL.

Winters - Really good pick. Needed big help on the o-line and he'll make an immediate impact.

And I don't think any of our FA acquisitions are long term answers.

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Loving this pick up.
    Young explosive back!!!!